• Will The Carlapalooza Tour Stop Here?

Posted by on September 15th, 2006 · Comments (15)

From the Daily News:

Yankee pitcher Carl Pavano had a secret passenger during his secret car crash in Florida: a sexy model from Queens, the Daily News has learned.

A friend of Pavano’s whisked away gorgeous Gia Allemand following the Aug. 15 smashup, which the oft-injured hurler didn’t tell his ballclub about for 11 days.

That’s according to Ernest DeLaura, who was sitting in the cab of his 18-wheeler when Pavano’s Porsche plowed into him on a rain-slicked West Palm Beach road.

“When he hit me, it blew the passenger window right out of his car,” DeLaura said. “I really thought she was hurt. She kept rubbing her arm and saying she was okay….

“And he was on the other side and he had two broken ribs, so I’m sure she got hurt.”

He said that a male friend of Pavano’s arrived and drove Allemand away – but not before DeLaura’s boss at the Solid Waste Authority of West Palm Beach took down her name for an internal company report.

But she was gone by the time police arrived and her name did not appear on the police report.

Pavano did not mention her last month during the conference call with reporters in which he discussed the accident.

Neither Pavano or Allemand – who has been a Miss Italia, Miss South Beach and Miss American Teen – were reachable for comment yesterday.

Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman would not comment, though the team has been conducting its own probe into the incident, which occurred when Pavano was in Florida working his way back from various injuries.

Boy, the “How I Spent My Summer Vacation” story from Pavano just keeps getting better and better, huh?

Is this King Carl on Gia’s MySpace Page?

GiaCarl.jpg

You have to wonder about why Pavano wanted her out of there before the police showed up.

Could she have been doing something with her arm (that was injured in the crash) that helped Carl lose control of the car? Hey, stranger things have happened, right?

Comments on Will The Carlapalooza Tour Stop Here?

1. baileywalk
      September 15th, 2006 | 11:47 am

God, Steve, you’re a grown man with children — don’t lower yourself to immaturity of a teenager.

He probably wanted her gone so this wouldn’t happen: her name being dragged into the story. And if she was “doing something with her hand” — just name it, Steve — I’m pretty sure she could have stopped before the police arrived. And since she gave her name to the truckdriver’s boss, I guess she wasn’t too worried if anyone knew.

I’m just waiting to hear how Yankee fans will turn cruising around Tampa in a sportscar with a model into a negative.

2. September 15th, 2006 | 11:57 am

Bailey – remember Andre Robertson?

this could have been the same. Pavano got lucky.

3. PooNani
      September 15th, 2006 | 11:58 am

yeah god forbid some of us rather see him on the mound instead of cruising around with models.

those fickle yankee fans!

4. September 15th, 2006 | 12:03 pm

I have to wonder if removing a witness from the scene of an accident is something that the police, or an attorney for the guy hit, would be interested in?

5. September 15th, 2006 | 12:05 pm

Also, I’m sure that Pavano’s insurance company would want to know about any passengers in his car too.

6. baileywalk
      September 15th, 2006 | 12:21 pm

The only reason anyone knows who she is is because the guy’s boss wrote her name down in an incident report. So the truckdriver and his lawyer know all about her. What she provides is another witness.

A person named PooNani advocating baseball over a libertine lifestyle with a model? You don’t live up to your name.

For the record, I would love for Pavano to stop screwing around and get back on the field. My point was, Yankee fans hate Pavano so much they would find something wrong if he rescued a baby from a burning building. He is basically dead to them.

7. September 15th, 2006 | 12:27 pm

I’ll make a deal with you. The day that Pavano rescues a baby from a burning building, I will build a website devoted to his praise. Until then, I’m still waiting for anything positive from him.

I really do think this is an issue. Basically, Pavano’s police report is now false. Is that a crime?

8. DFLNJ
      September 15th, 2006 | 12:31 pm

It’s a crime if you’re not a millionaire athlete.

9. September 15th, 2006 | 12:41 pm

Insurance works different in each state but I’m an Insurance Agent in MA and in an accident report you are required to list all passangers that are in the vehicle. To my knowledge it’s not illegal if you don’t but I believe the insurance company can (and probably will) deny the claim. No big deal for Pavano I’m sure.

In other news, I’m driving up from MA for tonight’s game. Is the weather really bad? Thanks for any help.

10. September 15th, 2006 | 12:59 pm

Right now, it’s cats and dogs by me – and I’m about 50 miles south of the Bronx.

11. JeremyM
      September 15th, 2006 | 1:07 pm

Here’s a story about the anti-Pavano that I found on the nomaas board. No idea if it’s legit but it sounds like it to me.

“This is why I like Matsui – not the 4-4 in his return, as fun as that was

on 9/11 — we went to Ground Zero – there was Matsui, no entourage, no one else with him.
      He laid a wreath by the site, prayed, and saluted.

He was so dignified in his silence.

He’s a great guy. He personifies honor and dignity.”

I’d almost (almost!) rather lose with this guy than win without him. I can’t imagine if he had to sit out the whole year and they ended up winning without him. I’m glad he’s back.

As far as Pavano, it’s just one more thing to throw on the pile. There’s nothing wrong with him tooling around with a model, but again, this raises more suspicion. That truck driver’s neck-and-back must “hurt” more by the minute…

12. JJay
      September 15th, 2006 | 1:59 pm

Not good news, but thanks Steve.

13. MJ
      September 15th, 2006 | 2:08 pm

I have no comments on any of the off-field Pavano stuff except that the girl in the picture is hot and I wish I was a pro athlete.

Anyway, as far as Pavano the pitcher is concerned, I was watching the Yankees Classic from late April 2005 when ARod hit those 3 homers against Bartolo Colon. Lo and behold, I had forgotten that Pavano pitched that game and that he pitched well into the 7th inning. What I saw from that one game is that he throws with an easy motion and has a lot of movement on his 2-seamer, which he likes to spot low and in on LH.

I guess what I’m saying is, watching him pitch that game, I think he’s something of a dipshit and irresponsible but the Yankees really need a way to figure out how to get him back because he could be great as a #3 or #4 starter behind Wang, Moose, RJ, and (keeping my fingers crossed) Hughes.

14. baileywalk
      September 16th, 2006 | 10:25 am

Not that anyone will see this now, but it turns out the truckdriver is a liar and that the woman Pavano was with was there when the police arrived. She was not quickly driven away by anyone.

Lt. Charles Reed, of the West Palm Beach Police Department’s criminal investigations division, confirmed that there was a female present at the scene who identified herself as a passenger in the vehicle.

He said cops completed a Law Enforcement Short Form Report because there were no injuries.

“This report lists drivers’ information only,” Reed wrote in an e-mail response to The News. “The passenger was not whisked away. Mr. Pavano was very cooperative with police.”

September 16th, 2006 | 4:51 pm

Gia, Alyssa… Not bad taste in women. Haven’t read the local rags, but Mama Pavano coming to the defense of her son seems pretty bizarre, if you ask me.

As for the $$, the man was tooling around in a 2006 Porchse, with a model. Don’t think $$ he’ll mind a bump in his insurance cost…