• September 16th vs. The Red Sox – Game 2

Posted by on September 17th, 2006 · Comments (15)

Farnsworth now has 5 saves on the season. The last time that a pitcher “Not Named Mariano Rivera” had 5 or move saves in a season for the Yankees was 2003. And, who was that pitcher?

Juan Acevedo.

Just reading the name gives me the chills.

Proctor threw 26 pitches in this game – so, I guess he’s only available for 12 innings between the two games tomorrow.

If the Yankees sweep tomorrow, er, I mean later today, they get to party on their home turf – albeit briefly, before they have to travel to Toronto.

Torre should stack the hitters in the first game on Sunday – to help Wright. And, then play all the glove men in the nightcap – to back-up Mussina. That might position the Yankees to get it done.

Is it really possible that the Yankees starters in the Toronto series are going to be Rasner, Karstens, and (most likely) Henn? And, the Jays will have their three best starters going against them?

If the Yankees don’t lock it down tomorrow, my (one time) prediction of September 22nd (to clinch) might come true.

Lastly, when the Red Sox got a man on in the 9th tonight, and the tying run was at the plate, why didn’t the man who says he’s the league MVP come on to pinch hit? The Big Papi was the Big Piney in the big spot in this game. What gives Tito?

Comments on September 16th vs. The Red Sox – Game 2

1. Don
      September 17th, 2006 | 3:05 am

Mike Stanton had six (6) saves, twice during the MO ‘regime’. In 1998 and 2002. As you said 5 or more, or meant more.

As for Proctor, who else should have been used as no one wanted to lose both games. Right on Joe!

2. Don
      September 17th, 2006 | 3:13 am

My bad, I misread his stats and thought he had one save for the Blue Jays in 2003.

As for why no big mouth Ortiz, play for the tie at home, the win on the road. He was getting ready in case.

3. baileywalk
      September 17th, 2006 | 10:52 am

Chilllll out, Don. That’s where Proctor SHOULD be used. And he did a good job. Using Bruney again? Not a smart move. And it would have made much more sense to just have him get that one out. Right now, Torre should protect Bruney’s arm the way he protects Mo and Farnsworth (he SHOULD protect Proctor, but he doesn’t). When Mo gets back, think of the length of our bullpen: Bruney, Proctor, Farnsworth, Mo. If those four guys are fresh, Wright can only give you five innings and you can still win.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m so tired of Randy Johnson. He comes out firing a 96-mile-an-hour fastball with a wicked slider, and then he falls apart — giving up big hits to Alex “I Eat Randy Johnson for Brunch” Gonzalez and Coco Crisp (who he struck out three time previously). You just can’t count on this guy. His stuff is average, and while every once in a while he spins a gem, Torre HAS to FINALLY see that once he gets to one hundred pitches he needs to be gone. His arm gets lazy and that slider gets flat.

It absolutely blows my mind that Torre said he would use Randy Johnson — “because of his experience” — in game one of the playoffs. This is completely putting Randy’s ego ahead of the team. Randy is no better than Wright. Wang is clearly the best pitcher on the staff. With Moose behind him. Would anyone want Randy pitching twice in the playoffs? Shouldn’t you go with the guy who, even when he gets hit, keeps you in the game? Starting Randy as the number one in the playoffs would be a monumental mistake, and it would be one more sign that the Yankees STILL think they have to stroke his old, bitter ego.

4. September 17th, 2006 | 11:19 am

Just a little side note.

In order for us to clinch today, we not only have to sweep, but Toronto has to lose.

Two Yankee wins and a Toronto win means the Magic Number is 1 to eliminate Toronto (who would move to second place with those events).

Or you can think of it as a Magic Number of 3 today. Two Yankee wins and 1 Toronto loss and the Yankees officially clinch.

5. baileywalk
      September 17th, 2006 | 11:31 am

The good news is that Toronto is playing early. So we’ll know if they lose or not.

The bad news is that Chacin is going for the Blue Jays and someone named Brian Stokes, who has a 9.45 ERA, is making just his second start for the Rays. Sounds like the guys will have to celebrate up north this year.

6. MJ
      September 17th, 2006 | 3:57 pm

Well the clinching vs. Boston thing ain’t happening. Not when Ron Villone’s clock has struck midnight. I wonder if he should be on the playoff roster, given how horrendous he’s been over the past month. He’s reminding me of Paul Quantrill, circa 2004…

And as for the rest of the team…what’s with making Kyle Snyder look like Cy Young? 7 K’s and 2 runs against this guy? The Yanks just look sloppy right now. Not exactly how I want them to go into October.

7. JeremyM
      September 17th, 2006 | 4:59 pm

Yeah, Villone as Quantrill was exactly what I was thinking. Terrible job by him. I know I shouldn’t be frustrated right now, but I am–thank God Nick Green won’t be on the playoff roster, that guy stinks. Bases loaded due to 3 straight singles, no outs, and nobody scores. Yuck. Snyder and Beckett should’ve both been shelled. Oh well. I know why it’s done, and it should be, but I hate when our scrubs play, other than Kevin Thompson. Better sharpen up for the nightcap, the Toronto series might not be that easy and I’d hate to struggle to finish like the other New York team is doing right now.

8. JeremyM
      September 17th, 2006 | 5:02 pm

And I sure thought Craig Wilson would work out a little better than he has, but I guess he’s pretty much in line with his career–lots and lots of Ks and an iron glove.

9. baileywalk
      September 17th, 2006 | 5:28 pm

MJ knows Villone is done, Jeremy knows he’s done, I know he’s done — does Torre? Was there any reason to leave him out there to fry for fifty pitches instead of bringing someone in to avoid the eventual collapse?

First off, Villone struck out Loretta. Second, Crisp was out at first. So Villone had to get five outs, which isn’t easy.

But give me a break. Torre basically let the game go — he was playing to lose by leaving in Villone while he was struggling. How inevitable was that double? He couldn’t get someone up to get the last out?

Torre is the most passive manager I’ve ever seen. After Crisp is called safe at first, Loretta is clearly struck out, but Torre sits there with his thumb up his butt (though he did bust out the death-mask scowl today). Get up and argue, you flabby load.

Bases loaded no outs. You expect Green and Fatso to make out. I expect more out of Damon. And seriously, with a third catcher on the roster, why not pitch-hit for Fatso, who is actually a WORSE hitter (!) than Stinnett and Jon Flaherty?

10. bloodyank78
      September 17th, 2006 | 5:50 pm

Waaahhh, waaaahh. Stop your crying Baileywalk. You’re always complaining about something. Annoys the hell out of me. Oh, I’m sorry; you’re the type of Yankfan that “demands excellence” right? Sure. What the hell did you do during the late 80′s and early 90′s when those Yankee teams suffered some of the losses they did? I know the internet wasn’t as much as a forum then, so did you subject your Yankee fan friends to the in depth rants that you do us readers of WasWatching? I hope not for their sake. I understand critical analysis of a team’s weaknesses and shortcomings, but man, you take it to another level. I know you have a deep knowledge of this game of Baseball from reading this site frequently, but that doesn’t prevent you from coming off as a spoiled ass Yankee fan who has totally lost the concept that baseball is full of imperfections.

11. YankeeMonkey
      September 17th, 2006 | 5:58 pm

To be fair, who would you like Torre to bring in for Villone? Bruney, Proctor, Beam, Farns, Dotel all pitched yesterday, and they still have a game to play tonight, and tomorrow! Villone is cooked, but I’d rather have him take one for the team in a game that doesn’t mean anything than burn the rest of the pen, who will probably pitch tonight anyhow…

Whether Villone makes it onto the PS roster remains to be seen, but in all honesty, if he’s done, I’d rather he gets shelled now and proves to Torre his worthlessness.

12. baileywalk
      September 17th, 2006 | 6:27 pm

Oh, sorry, bloodyank (nice handle), I must have gone insane and thought that blogs are where people come and express their opinions on things. I guess I should just sit back and say “rah, rah, rah, Yankees are the best, Joe has four rings and is never wrong.”

When Torre, or anyone else, does something I disagree with, I’m going to say it.

At least I have an opinion. Maybe you should join the conversation once in a while instead of lurking around, only to show your head to attack me.

13. bloodyank78
      September 17th, 2006 | 7:21 pm

You’re exactly right, blogs are where people can go to express their opinion on things. And my opinion is that you’re a hyper-critical, never satisfied, spoiled Yankee fan. “Rah, Rah” is stupid. I’m not that type, but if you look at the entire lot of AL contending teams we have a lot to be thankful for, seeing as we have the best record in the AL. Does Torre abuse the bullpen? Yes. Do certain players fail in key spots(ie,your Damon jab)? Yes. But so what? Us Yankee fans have known Torre’s bullpen quirks for years, and every ballplayer from Pujols, to Joe Dimaggio have failed in key spots. As far as my “lurking around”, I prefer to comment occasionally when I think I have something worthwhile to say, but to say I lurk around looking to attack you is BS. I read this site on a daily basis, multiple times. I might think Steve is a bit negative or critical for my liking, but he knows a hell of of lot about Yankee baseball, and his baseball analysis is extremely insightful. The bottomline, is that I wanted to express my opinion that the way you analyze the Yanks, from Torre’s managing, to individual player performance; is beyond insightful criticism, and more like annoying complaining. But hey, it’s a free country; you can say whatever you want on this blog and I expect you to do so. But I still have the perogitive to tell you how I feel about your consistently negative posts.

14. bloodyank78
      September 17th, 2006 | 7:44 pm

By the way, if that was a shot at my handle; it’s Blood-Yank. As in Yankfan by blood. My maternal grandfather sold peanuts in Yankee stadium in ’32 and ’33 as a teenager; and my paternal grandfather was the son of Irish immigrants used to sneak into Yankee stadium in the early 20′s. They were Yankee fans until they day they died. My father is a lifelong Yankee fan; and the 78 after bloodyank is for the year of my birth, of which I was told I sat on my father’s lap the entire ’78 Series all of 4 months old.

September 17th, 2006 | 8:03 pm

Ah, and all this time I thought you were an englishman ;)

Cool story… :)