• Those Merry Mets

Posted by on September 19th, 2006 · Comments (11)

Today, in his MetsBlog, Matthew Cerrone said:

There have been roughly a dozen phone calls in to WFAN this morning, most likely from Yankees fans, goofing on the Mets for having such an elaborate post-game celebration in honor of their division championship last night.

Isn’t that for the Mets to decide?

I mean, if the Yankees are bored with winning, so much so that they no longer know how to have fun, how exactly does that impact how the Mets and their fans choose to celebrate.

It doesn’t.

And it shouldn’t.

Why were these so-called Yankees fans watching the Mets anyways?

Pinstripes, mind your business – and if you want to watch the Mets so bad, you’ll hopefully get plenty of opportunities at the end of October.

Enjoy.

O.K., I have to confess – when I saw the images of the Mets “celebration” upon clinching, my first thoughts were:

1. Man, having seen it now twice (2004 and 2006) there’s nothing more fruity looking than Pedro Martinez floating, flapping and prancing around ball field during a clinch-celebration, is there?

2. Do the Mets realize that they did not just win the World Series? Sure, a division crown is awesome. But, sort of along the lines of “excessive end zone dancing” and “acting like you’ve been there before,” winning the division is something that many teams do – but, it’s not like you just won it all.

But, thinking about it more, I realize that it’s been 18 years since the Mets finished in first place. That’s huge. And, most of the players on the Mets (like Pedro, Beltran, Green, Delgado, LoDuca, Wagner, Glavine, Floyd, etc.) were brought over as hired-gun types with the intent to get into the playoffs. So, to them, achieving this goal in such a short period of time (after the Mets purchased them) is a big deal. And, of course, you also have young guys on the Mets like Wright and Reyes who have no idea how to act in such a situation – other than to jump around like Little Leaguers. So, the total reaction of the Mets (here) makes perfect sense.

When I think of it this way, I can’t find fault in the way that the Mets chose to celebrate finishing in first. It’s just their way of doing things. And, to each, their own, and all that jazz.

I look forward to seeing how the Mets do in the post-season now that they’ve made it. It should be fun. Maybe not as much fun as the Mets players had last night – but, then again, maybe that’s another reason why it’s good that they got that in while they could?

Comments on Those Merry Mets

September 19th, 2006 | 3:10 pm

O.K., I have to confess – when I saw the images of the Mets “celebration” upon clinching, my first thoughts were…
      ======================
      Mine was “good for them.” With the way the season was going, it was only a matter of time.

I’m happy for my uncle, who’s a Mets fan, and has been for as long as I can remember. Happy for a couple of coworkers as well.

2. christopher
      September 19th, 2006 | 3:30 pm

All the Mets are missing now is a dumb slogan like “Cowboy Up!”

3. September 19th, 2006 | 4:06 pm

I don’t get the issue.

Everytime the Yankees clinch, they open the champagne and celebrate.

What is funny (well ridiculous) is when a team opens the champagne like that for clinching the Wild Card. You just came in second. Stop.

4. September 19th, 2006 | 4:18 pm

I think every team does it, for all levels, in the clubhouse. It’s the on-the-field excessiveness, for non-ring wins, where it comes into question.

5. rbj
      September 19th, 2006 | 4:27 pm

There was some on field celebrations, even a victory lap when the Mudhens (AAA) won their division; much more celebrating when they won the IL championship. I would be worried if the Yankees celebrated the division to excess, but most other teams don’t have this team’s track record. Let ‘em celebrate, Yankees will take them down in the Series (I hope).

September 19th, 2006 | 4:30 pm

============
      The fans @ Shea didn’t seem to mind…

7. MJ
      September 19th, 2006 | 5:01 pm

What I find ridiculous is that a Mets blogger says:

“[I]f the Yankees are bored with winning, so much so that they no longer know how to have fun, how exactly does that impact how the Mets and their fans choose to celebrate.”

Who says the Yanks are bored with winning? Furthermore, who says the Yanks no longer know how to have fun. Projecting the opinions of a few Yankee fans that called into a radio station and translating that on an entire franchise? That’s just what I’d expect a Mets fan to do.

Honestly, I couldn’t care less how the Mets celebrated their division clincher last night. Whatever makes them happy is fine with me, as long as they don’t get in my way when I’m waving my Yankee flag at OUR parade at the end of next month.

8. September 19th, 2006 | 5:12 pm

I don’t fault them for the on-the-field celebration. 18 years is a good long time – and don’t forget, no one other than the Braves has one that division for most of those 18 years. Celebrating with the fans is part of the fun of clinching at home. And I’m sure the Mets sat down to a team meeting this morning where they reminded each other that there is still a lot of work to do. If I were a manager, that’s what I would do – let them celebrate, and then refocus on the task at hand.

The Mets blog post that Steve posted, though, is idiotic on many levels.

September 19th, 2006 | 6:02 pm

The Mets blog post that Steve posted, though, is idiotic on many levels.
      =========
      Expect anything else from a Mets blog? :D

10. antone
      September 20th, 2006 | 6:22 pm

Why does anyone even care about the Mets? They aren’t even in the same league, who cares? haha

I do understand why they would celebrate, they haven’t won a division in years so thats understandable

if for some reason the Yankees don’t make the World Series and the Mets do, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Mets win just because Willie Randolph is the manager and maybe if he wins enough World Series he can make the Hall of Fame somed day…he was my favorite player when I was younger haha

September 21st, 2006 | 10:35 am