• Bottom Line A-Rod Numbers

Posted by on September 20th, 2006 · Comments (12)

This year, Alex Rodriguez, even with his slumps, etc., is the best offensive third baseman in the American League and mostly likely the 6th best offensive 3B in all of baseball (behind Cabrera, Atkins, Jones, Wright and Rolen).

Further, this season, offensively, A-Rod (again, in terms of the total package) has put up numbers that are probably the 7th best season ever (with the bat) for a Yankee at the hot corner (behind Red Rolfe in 1936 and 1939, Wade Boggs in 1994, Gil McDougald in 1951, and, of course, A-Rod in 2004 and 2005).

In terms of right-handed batters in Yankees history, Rodriguez’ 2006 season (on the whole) is around the 50th best all-time (with the stick). Think “Alfonso Soriano 2003″ if you need a “comp” here.

I wanted to go on record with these facts to be clear to anyone and everyone as to what type of season Alex Rodriguez is having this year (as a hitter).

Granted, these facts do not address his consistency this year – or his clutch play. And, it does not reflect his defensive play this season.

But, without question, when the books are final this year, and Yankees fans, fifty years from now, look at A-Rod’s 2006, what they should see is:

Best hitting 3B in the AL. Seventh best offensive season (at that point) ever by a Yankees 3B. One of the twenty-best seasons with the bat by a Yankees RH-batter in the Long Ball Era.

It’s a shame, for everyone involved, that the bottom line numbers do not stand as the only reflection of Alex Rodriguez’ 2006 season. That’s a problem – for A-Rod, the Yankees, and many Yankees fans.

As to what is the root cause behind that problem, I’m sure that each camp has their own theories.

There’s a reason why so many see something else besides the overall numbers when it comes to Rodriguez’ 2006 performance results. And, as is the case in most situations where there are many theories, each camp’s belief probably has some part of the overall true reason as part of their offering.

Personally, for the record, this is the last time that I will detail A-Rod’s on the field, regular season, performance. It’s been discussed so much that there’s really nothing else to say.

Comments on Bottom Line A-Rod Numbers

1. ynks4life
      September 20th, 2006 | 4:56 pm

Steve,

I personally think you should change your web site name to arod-watching.com – being that 80% of the postings are about him…

2. September 20th, 2006 | 5:01 pm

Over time, that 80% will start to trend down. By the year 2020, it will be down to <1% overall, for sure.

3. September 20th, 2006 | 5:09 pm

FWIW, today is the 17th month anniversary of this blog. (I started on 4/20/05.) In that time, there have been 163 entries, including this one, which contain “Alex Rodriguez.”

That puts my pace at about 1 entry that includes him every three days. Or, 2.2 per week. Is that excessive, all things considered?

For a compare, “Derek Jeter” has 121 hits. So, he’s 1.6 times a week – or once every 4 days.

4. September 20th, 2006 | 5:12 pm

“Joe Torre” gets it here 2.1 times a week – or, once every 3.4 days.

So, I write about “Joe Torre” as often as I do “Alex Rodriguez” – but, I guess that’s OK.

5. ynks4life
      September 20th, 2006 | 5:17 pm

Its not just you Steve. Everywhere I go its Arod this, Arod that. Don’t take it personal. I just wish the media would get off his back so the guy can concentrate on baseball and the Yankees could benefit.

6. September 20th, 2006 | 5:22 pm

You know, this is sorta like the fly and the road apple. Who’s fault is it for the attraction, the fly or the road apple?

Is it the media for focusing on A-Rod, or, is it A-Rod for giving the media a reason to focus?

Probably 50-50.

7. ynks4life
      September 20th, 2006 | 5:28 pm

I would have to completely agree with you on this one b/c if Arod wanted all this to go away he would just stop feeding the fire and let it blow out. It just feels like the guy is digging himself into a deeper whole sometimes even when he’s not trying to. But you’re doing a great job here Steve. This is definitely in my Top 5 of Yankee websites I visit daily numerous times.

8. redbug
      September 20th, 2006 | 6:18 pm

I’ve had it with Arod. He reminds me of Reggie – so insecure, needs to be loved by everyone, needs constant attention.

Steve, this a great blog. Write what you want to write. People who disapprove can skip what they want.

9. Don
      September 20th, 2006 | 6:47 pm

I think his dreadful fielding this season plays a role.

September 20th, 2006 | 7:39 pm

=======
      Good question. The media has been piling on Rodriguez since he got here.

Despite the personalities and stories you find on this team, it always seems to fall back on Rodriguez. Maybe it’s the $$, maybe it’s his “dashing good looks” :rolleyes:, I don’t know.

What’s Eddie Murray doing these days? I’m sure he can help Alex deal with the press. (:

11. September 20th, 2006 | 11:35 pm

BTW, thanks for the kind words guys – it’s always nice to hear.

September 21st, 2006 | 10:06 am

BTW, thanks for the kind words guys – it’s always nice to hear.
      ================
      Hey, thanks for having a place where we can air out our grievances (:

While we may not always see eye to eye on certain topics, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to disagree with civility (channeling Clyde Fraiser there for a minute… lol).

I think hopbitters had mentioned something along the lines of “don’t let the readers dictate the content.” It’s your blog, write about whomever, or whatever you want. (: