• September 20th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 20th, 2006 · Comments (22)

Shockingly, this was a game that the Yankees could have won – at the end of the day (despite Henn starting, etc.) But, in the end, it does not matter with respect to clinching – due to the Red Sox loss this evening.

Leiter nailed it in the YES post-game. This is not “backing in.” When your magic number is three, and you lose three in a row, and need someone else to beat the team under you, day after day, to clinch, that’s “backing in.” The Yankees have been winning games at a regular clip. Thus, this was not a situation where they needed someone to hand it to them.

Some post-game on YES, huh? Big Unit was on the hunt for Kim Jones. Speaking of Kim, she was a trooper tonight – working the clubhouse alone and getting abused pretty good.

Watching the celebration coverage, all I could think of was “How cool must it feel to be T.J. Beam, Nick Green, Andy Phillips, Aaron Guiel and those types of guys tonight?”

For some of them, this might be the only time they get to experience something like this event.

It was nice to see some of the vets in the clubhouse, during the interviews, give praise to the job that Melky Cabrera did this season. The players do always know where credit is due.

Jeter is the league MVP. Abreu was the player who pushed them over the top at the end. Damon helped in so many ways. Mo was Mo. Posada and Mussina had seasons that could not have been expected. Cano took it to a higher level. Giambi and A-Rod had their moments.

But, without Wang, Proctor and Cabrera, nothing else would have mattered. All those other things could have still happened – and without Wang, Proctor and Cabrera there would have been holes too big to overcome this year.

And, of those three, Cabrera was the one who came from nowhere to become someone. I’m glad he was having fun in the clubhouse tonight – he earned it, and then some.

Comments on September 20th @ The Blue Jays

1. JeremyM
      September 21st, 2006 | 12:41 am

The backing in comments espn and whatnot were throwing around were ridiculous. Yeah, they lost the game tonight, but they won the war with 10 games or so to go. It’s not backing in. What a joke. The Yankees just can’t win in some people’s eyes, and that’s fine, but I’m done with it.

Man, did any of us really see this coming in say, June? It seemed like everyday Boston was finding ways to somehow win. Unreal. I’m going to enjoy this right up until the playoffs; I’ve definitely taken some of the success for granted in the last few years. Here’s to 11 more wins!

2. bloodyank78
      September 21st, 2006 | 2:22 am

Steve,
      As far as Melky goes, F’ing A, you nailed it. Boy did that kid step it up. From that lost and confused AAA player that allowed that ball to fly over his head in Fenway last year; to robbing Manny of a go-ahead homer in the Stadium, and hitting a walk off homer off JJ Putz. He’s really become something to smile at. LONG LIVE LECHE!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Don
      September 21st, 2006 | 3:46 am

Congratulations Joe Torre. Nine straight AL East titles and ten of eleven.

4. antone
      September 21st, 2006 | 8:06 am

I definitely have to say that this year was a suprise after the way the year started…mid-way through the season I was thinking they might make the playoffs but have no chance of getting far…I have increased my hopes after seeing this team pick it up the second half of the season..the Abreu trade turned out to be huge after Melky, Jeter, etc held the fort down in the beginning…and i’m optimistic because of players like Bruney who has been a huge help…as much as I like Sheffield, I kind of hope he doesn’t come back just because of all the playing time issues, unless he can somehow play 1B…it will definitely be interesting to see what happens

5. rbj
      September 21st, 2006 | 8:14 am

At the All Star Break, who’d have thunk that the Yankees would clinch before the Tigers.

6. MJ
      September 21st, 2006 | 9:13 am

This has been a fun season, perhaps more fun than any season since 1998-1999. I love the kids, I love the way the team seems tighter and more close-knit, and I love that the team hung in there in June and July.

Now’s not the time to talk about what the Yanks need to do in October. We just need to enjoy this today, finish the season on a high note and thank the team for a job well done.

Oh, and further to the talk about Bruney having a tattoo of a “recovery” cross on his arm. It can’t be about recovery since Pete Abraham reported that he and Giambi were chugging Jack Daniel’s last night.

7. September 21st, 2006 | 9:32 am

FWIW, last night, in the recap, Leiter said that Bruney was let free from the D’backs because he and Bob Melvin had a personality clash in Arizona. I thought that was an interesting thing to know.

September 21st, 2006 | 9:55 am

=====================
      Yep, he’s come a long way from that misplay in Fenway. Good for him :)

Not bad for a 4th OF, eh?

September 21st, 2006 | 9:59 am

============
      There probably was something more to it. Things like that happen, but it’s a bit suprising that the DBacks would just give up on him. At the very least, bury him in the minors. Give him the Bobby Meacham treatment.

10. baileywalk
      September 21st, 2006 | 10:31 am

Quote of the night:

“The best thing is Boston has to come in here next,” Farnsworth said. “It’s the smell of victory they’ve got to smell. You can print that.”

11. September 21st, 2006 | 10:36 am

Maybe we should start calling Farns “Conan”?

September 21st, 2006 | 10:41 am

Maybe we should start calling Farns “Conan”?
      ======
      After that quote, I’m thinking Kilgore :D

13. MJ
      September 21st, 2006 | 10:46 am

That’s probably the first time all year I’ve liked Farns a little bit. I’m not a big fan of his but I like reading that and seeing that he’s got a little edge to him.

Now all the Yanks have to figure out is how to stay on top of Detroit so they can lock up home field. I hope the team doesn’t take their foot off the gas with Tampa and Baltimore ahead of them. They can really squeeze Detroit as long as they stay focused.

14. baileywalk
      September 21st, 2006 | 11:00 am

One thing the Yankees have going for them down the stretch here is that Rasner and Karstens can win ballgames. Even if they really start to limit the starters’ innings, Rasner and Karstens can keep the team within striking distance. And I don’t have the schedule in front of me, but I think our last series are Tampa, O’s and Blue Jays.

And who knows — maybe now that we’ve clinched, Kevin Thompson will actually get a little playing time. Wah-wah.

15. MJ
      September 21st, 2006 | 11:29 am

Yep, it’s 4 @ Tampa, and then 6 in the Bronx, 3 with Baltimore and 3 more with Toronto to close it out.

Off-subject…I just plunked down $300 for a partial season ticket plan in Scranton, PA so I can watch Phillip Hughes up close and personal. I am so incredibly fired up about this!

16. baileywalk
      September 21st, 2006 | 11:43 am

Nice going, MJ. You’re going to get to see a lot of good Yankee prospects there next year — Hughes, Clippard, Cox, maybe Gardner, maybe Eric Duncan. It’s going to be a good team.

It’s a pretty long drive from where I am, but (like I did with Trenton this year) I plan to go about a half-dozen times.

17. MJ
      September 21st, 2006 | 11:48 am

It’s a pretty long drive for me too (I live in NYC) but I figure that 2 hours isn’t that bad since I’ve been known to drive to Philly or Baltimore for the day, just to catch a game. Of course, it begs the question “why the hell didn’t I just go to Trenton this summer” but I guess that’s why I’m an idiot.

Bailey – any Scranton tickets I don’t use, you’ve got dibs on. I’m sure I won’t be able to go to all the games so you (or anyone else on this blog) is welcome to grab my seats.

18. September 21st, 2006 | 12:11 pm

Did MJ just ask me to grab his seat?

19. MJ
      September 21st, 2006 | 12:27 pm

Yankee fans are in a good mood today!

20. 98Yanks
      September 21st, 2006 | 5:14 pm

not to mention the WAY boston lost that game. that was almost better than the Yanks getting in with a win.

Ortiz hits a go-ahead HR in the 7th. oh, i bet the fans were excited. unfortunately for them, he cant pitch. torii hunter ripped a craig hansen fastball ovr the monster for 3 runs. say goodbye to the season, new england.

i know the Yanks are going to relax now, but i still want homefield advantage.

Melky and cano were having the best time in the clubhouse. (btw, imagine if a player was only 20? d’ya think he’d still be drinking. if so, would it make news? then again, isn’t the drinking age 18 in canada?)

21. Jen
      September 21st, 2006 | 6:39 pm

It varies by province, but in Ontario, yes, the legal age is 18.

22. Joel
      September 21st, 2006 | 10:27 pm

Needless to say I am thrilled. I have been in a great mood all day. But amidst our celebration, let me add some words of caution: We need to finish strong to guarantee home field at least in the ALDS.

Right now we have 60 losses, Minnesota 61, Detroit 62 and Oakland 63. I am not interested in opening an ALDS on the road against Johan Santana at the Metrodome. Let Oakland deal with that.

6-4 down the stretch should do it.