• Stein: “I Have Relinquished Pretty Much All Control”

Posted by on September 21st, 2006 · Comments (6)

From the AP via SI -

Steinbrenner spends most of his time in Tampa, and has slowly been giving up control of the operation to his family members, including son-in-law Steve Swindal, 50, and his sons Hank, 47, and Hal, 36. Steinbrenner has designated Swindal as his successor.

“I have relinquished pretty much all control of the Yankees,” Steinbrenner said. “I had to make room for the young people. You can’t hold them back.”

Then again, George once said:

“We plan absentee ownership as far as running the Yankees is concerned. We’re not going to pretend to be something we aren’t. I’ll stick to building ships.”

But, I do believe him this time. There is little question in my mind that Stein is an old tiger sensing his end.

I still hope he gets into Cooperstown someday.

Comments on Stein: “I Have Relinquished Pretty Much All Control”

1. ynks4life
      September 21st, 2006 | 7:21 pm

completely off subject but friend of mine just send me a text saying Giambi has a torn ligament in his wrist..Any truth to that ???

2. JeremyM
      September 21st, 2006 | 7:38 pm

Yes, it’s true: http://tinyurl.com/z3l58

Sounds like they’ve known for awhile too.

September 21st, 2006 | 10:25 pm

Saw the Giambi news on the ESPN crawl while watching Sox-Twins

4. September 22nd, 2006 | 1:35 am

what do y’all know about swindal? is he a win-at-all-costs guy like steinbrenner? is he more concerned with ‘spending-wisely’? i’ve heard he’s already making changes to the scouting dept. anyone have info on this?

5. JohnnyC
      September 22nd, 2006 | 10:32 am

The scouting changes are Cashman’s…apparently he’s cleaning house of all the Mark Newman/George Bradley/Tampa hirings. Has very little to do with Swindal, who’s primarily business-oriented. From what I gather, though, he was a big advocate of Cashman and urged George to re-sign him.

6. rbj
      September 22nd, 2006 | 11:12 am

I think the era of $100 mil+ contracts is over, but that it is more to do with economics than any one particular person being “cheap”. I suspect the Yankees payroll will decrease in the next few years as Unit leaves – replaced by Philip Hughes, Shef not picked up (Melky & Abreu are cheaper) and Moose likely will be back but at a lower salary (after the option year is picked up) a la Bernie.
      I think the Yankees will be willing to overspend for a quality player, just not overspend as much nor as often.