• September 26th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 26th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Maybe Cory Lidle ’06 can be Jim Beattie ’78?

According to Yankees.com -

Abreu’s blast gave the Yankees 200 home runs for the seventh consecutive season, tying them with the White Sox for the longest such streak in Major League Baseball history. Both are active streaks.

Hmmm…… 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, and 2000. Something happened in a lot of those years – yeah, that’s right – no rings.

I’d be more impressed to see the Yankees put together seven years in a row where the team AB/SO ratio for batters was 5.7 or higher.

In any event, totally unrelated to this game, what’s going on with the Cardinals and Astros? More so, check out Andy Pettitte since the All-Star break. Wouldn’t Andy look good back in the Bronx next year? Pettitte’s been in the bigs now for a dozen seasons and has only one year on his bubble-gum card with a negative-RSAA total. I don’t think it’s a cowinky-dink that the last time the Yankees were in the World Series was when Pettitte was on the team.

If Houston can work a miracle and get back to the Fall Classic, and the Yankees do as well, it’s going to be painful to watch Pettitte face off on New York.

Comments on September 26th vs. The Orioles

1. baileywalk
      September 26th, 2006 | 11:57 pm

I love Pettitte. I think it was an all-time blunder when they let him walk away. Just DUMB in every sense of the word.

But I don’t think Pettitte is the ONLY reason the Yanks haven’t gotten back to the World Series since then. They were two outs away in ’04, after all. Clemens and Wells haven’t been on the team since then, either. (In fact, all three left the same year, which would have crippled any other team.) We also lost our last two World Series with Andy here.

I wonder what Andy has left. After a great ’05, he didn’t pitch that well early in the year. He’s coming on now, I guess. For the money it would cost to get him back in the Bronx, I don’t know if it would be worth it. I think the Yankee rotation needs youth.

Sheffield got his first legit hit tonight. That was nice to see. And somehow I get the feeling that the playoffs are going to be the Jeter-Bobby-Cano show. Forget about A-Rod (who dribbled a base hit tonight), Sheffield, Matsui, maybe even Giambi. I just envision Jeter, Robbie and Bobby spraying doubles all over the place. I could see those three carrying us offensively. If Damon could get out of his funk, then it would really get scary.

2. rbs10025
      September 27th, 2006 | 2:04 am

Spend some time on the Astros blogs, Steve. Perhaps the Crawfish Boxes. There’a s lot of concern out there about the state of Andy;s elbow.

3. September 27th, 2006 | 7:36 am

I think it is difficult to say that not signing Pettitte was a huge mistake when he was on the DL for a good chunk of his contract with the Astros and sucked for another good chunk of the contract.

4. antone
      September 27th, 2006 | 8:17 am

Unless they rewrote the record book, I’m pretty sure the Yankees won the WS against the Mets in 2000….

As much as I’d like to see Pettitte here, he has been injury prone and the last thing you need on a team with Johnson, Mussina, and Pavano…basically two aging pitchers and one that’s always hurt is another pitcher who has trouble staying healthy…so I think it’s a bit risky…plus they should be trying to get a little youth on the team to go along with the minor leaguers they have in the farm system…you can’t keep trotting out older guys like Clemens, Johnson, Wells, and Mussina every year…eventually it will cripple the team if they don’t get someone younger..kind of like what the Red Sox thought they were doing with Beckett hahahaha!

5. September 27th, 2006 | 10:17 am

antone – note that I wrote “in a lot of those years – yeah, that’s right – no rings.”

I didn’t say every year. Besides, that 2000 team was very lucky to go all the way.

6. #15
      September 27th, 2006 | 10:41 am

I get to see Andy pitch on a regular basis. Qualitatively…. He’s still got the grit that he developed in his last 4-5 years with the Yankees, and he knows how to pitch. In his favor, MinuteMAid park is a band box of pony league proportions, especially for a left hander. Quantitatively…. The odd thing is he’s got a better home ERA than road ERA. On the other hand, he’s doing it against weak-hitting NL competition, yet opponents BA is still a lofty .287. The 5 teams the Astro’s play against the most (NL central) rank 6th (StL), 9th (Cin), 13th (Mil) 15th (Cubs) and 16th (Pitts) in runs scored in the NL. That 4.30 ERA will be 4.80 – 5.20 in the AL, especially with a bunch of games against Boston and Toronto. His WHIP (1.46) is in the range of Wright’s, rather than Mussina, Wang or Johnson. If Johnson were to retire (not a chance with the money involved), it would be worth tryng the get Andy for a year, with an option for a second. But if Johnson stays, I’m firmly in the camp that doesn’t want to add another old timer to the squad.

September 27th, 2006 | 10:56 am

===========
      Still, they’ve done a hell of a lot better than the White Sox in the postseason.

Playoffs are a crapshoot. How often is it that the team with the best record in the regular season wins in the postseason?

I’m sure you can slice WS winners many different ways; teams have won it with pitching, won it with hitting, teams have won it with defense, teams have won it with offense, so on and so forth.

8. antone
      September 27th, 2006 | 11:01 am

My bad…I’m at work so I was reading it quickly haha