• September 27th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 27th, 2006 · Comments (27)

Can the Yankees play the Mets, right now, please?

O.K., from a Yankees fan perspective, how cool is it, at this moment, watching guys like Matsui, Sheffield, and Giambi come back to start mashing – at the same time seeing Pedro The Mango Tree Sitter and the Mets falling apart – just before the start of the post-season?

Sure, it helps that the Yankees are playing a team that checked out a long time ago, but, they were rockin’ and rollin’ tonight. (I do think Cano hot-dogged it on his HR a bit though.)

Congrats to Worm Killer Wang on win #19. I look back now at April 26th and June 18th – and all I can think of is how this kid should have had 20 wins this year. So, close, eh?

A ring will make up for it.

Comments on September 27th vs. The Orioles

1. September 27th, 2006 | 11:39 pm

P.S. – I’ll be at the Stadium tomorrow. If you’re going, and want to say hello, drop me a note and I’ll let you know where I’ll be just prior to the game.

2. Yu Hsing Chen
      September 27th, 2006 | 11:58 pm

And even more sweet that on the same day Josh ” omg so much better than Wang” Beckett gets bombed by the lowly D-rays AND Anibal Sanchez wins AND Hanely Rameriez has a huge game (sound of Theo banging head to wall)

3. Jen
      September 28th, 2006 | 12:09 am

Steve, I’d stop by and say “hi” tomorrow, but I’ll be corralled with the other degenerates in the bleachers. I’ll wave in your general direction though.

4. September 28th, 2006 | 3:15 am

Jen, I wouldn’t call myself a ‘degenerate’ :-P

5. September 28th, 2006 | 9:52 am

I’ll make sure to wave towards the bleachers tonight ya’ll!

6. bloodyank78
      September 28th, 2006 | 9:54 am

Steve,
      In your “The First Step is the Steepest” post you stated that you can see Damon, Jeter, Abreu, and Matsui hitting well in October, but I think you left one out. Robbie Cano has not shown one iota of slowing down since coming off the DL. Did you see that oppo field homer the other night that landed in the netting in front of Monument Park?! That takes some heavy power; even some of the Orioles players were talking about. If I was a betting man, I’d say Robbie is going to have quite the post-season.

September 28th, 2006 | 10:01 am

=====================
      It’s kinda tough to watch Pedro struggle, especially after seeing him at his best for so many years.

He’s one of the few players you see that seems to genuinely have fun when he’s out there on the mound.

8. September 28th, 2006 | 10:37 am

Sorry, some of us just see Pedro as a punk.

bloodyank78 – maybe Cano can do it? But, I want to see it first. I hope that he can, ‘tho!

9. Jen
      September 28th, 2006 | 10:45 am

Sorry, I’ll be with the degenerates and Brent :-)

10. Jason
      September 28th, 2006 | 11:00 am

I love Cano….but it seems that he is trying to swing for the fences a little more lately….I like it better when he is spraying line drives all over the place….
      Does anyone see this?

September 28th, 2006 | 11:01 am

Sorry, some of us just see Pedro as a punk.
      =========
      Probably because of media hype and related nonsense…

Zim should’ve kept his butt on the bench.

12. September 28th, 2006 | 11:19 am

And I guess Karim Garcia should have kept his head on the bench while batting too, huh?

September 28th, 2006 | 11:31 am

He should’ve kept his head, period. It was a breaking pitch that he was hit with, a pitch Pedro had trouble locating. He threw a few others in the same location during the course of the game.

Ok, given his “rep” and pitching inside, and the history of Yankee HBP, you’d think he’d pick a better target than a journeyman OF. You’d think he’d do better than a breaking ball.

The whole thing was a mountain made out of a molehill, much like Manny’s “retaliation” against Clemens.

14. mehmattski
      September 28th, 2006 | 12:15 pm

Who is Karim Garcia?

15. September 28th, 2006 | 12:16 pm

We must have been watching a different game. There was no question that Garcia was hit with intent.

16. September 28th, 2006 | 12:28 pm

================

… and the Holocaust didn’t happen either… let’s not rewrite history…

17. September 28th, 2006 | 1:51 pm

I get it mehmattski.

September 28th, 2006 | 2:23 pm

==========
      Of course there was question. Logic and reason was quickly thrown out the window because of the reputation Martinez gained over the years.

Much like when Clemens supposedly drilled Piazza because he hit a gs off of him.

It was Karim Garcia. I’m sure a pitcher with a headhunter rep would pick a more suitable target to throw at. It was a breaking pitch. I’m sure a headhunter would throw something a little more harder. There was no history between the two. It isn’t the first time Pedro has given up a lead in a game.

If it were really about headunting, it would’ve happened in gm 7 as well, either in the 7th or 8th inning, when Pedro needed to “restore order.”

Next time YES replays the game, watch; Pedro wasn’t sharp.

Why would he intentionally load the bases with no one out? With Soriano (longball threat) and Enrique Wilson (who supposedly “owned” Pedro) on deck?

September 28th, 2006 | 2:25 pm

Who is Karim Garcia?
      =====
      LOL

20. September 28th, 2006 | 2:45 pm

Raf, yeah, Pedro was not sharp – he was getting smacked around – and that’s why he decided to take it out on Garcia. And, that’s why he’s a punk.

21. antone
      September 28th, 2006 | 2:48 pm

If I’m correct, Cano was one of the few Yankees who produced against the Angels last year in the playoffs…I think he led the team with 5 RBIs…I expect him to be clutch in the playoffs this year too…in an important spot, after Jeter I’d like to see Cano up there next..

22. September 28th, 2006 | 3:30 pm

——————
      that’s NOT the time to hit someone, when the season’s on the line.

Pedro used to always be among the leaders in HBP, and his control was usually great – he also led the league in ks. He hit Garcia on purpose, and Zim had had enough finally. And Pedro was a punk. whenever the brawls started, he practically ran away, depending on his teammates to bail him out.

23. September 28th, 2006 | 3:46 pm

Does anyone see this?
      —————
      oh yeah, and Cano won game 1 last year almost by himself. he hit that 3-run 2b early off Colon, and that was all the Yanks needed.

no, i dont think he’s getting too ‘HR conscious.’ you can see he’s still trying to hit the ball the other way, e.g. his ‘death valley’ HR. the HR last night was because he was early on a breaking ball (it looked to be anyway, though kenny said it was a cutter – either way, it was only 87 mph, not 95, so it’s not like he’s trying to pull everything).

September 28th, 2006 | 3:55 pm

===========
      Smacked around?

1st: flyout-single-fielders choice-groundout
      2nd: 2b-groundout-popout-single (Garcia, RBI) -flyout
      3rd: k-hr-k-k
      4th: bb-single-double-hbp…

Back to back single/double is hardly being smacked around.

Garcia is an easy out for Pedro. There is no need to “take it out on Garcia.” There is no need to load the bases for Soriano and Wilson with no one out.

This ranks right up there with hitting Reggie Sanders with a no-no going.

September 28th, 2006 | 4:04 pm

Does anyone see this?
      ======
      No. Cano’s going good right now. That’s all. I know it’s a ways off, but next year should be interesting as his power develops even more.

26. redbug
      September 28th, 2006 | 6:22 pm

What I’ll never forget was Pedro pointing at his head telling Jorge he was next.

I don’t care if Zim actually got to land a punch (which I wish he had!), Pedro was way out of line to throw a man Zim’s age on the ground.

So, despite my warm feelings for Willie, I’m smiling from ear to ear that poor Pedro is hurting.

September 29th, 2006 | 10:47 am

He was telling him “use your head.” if he wanted to throw at Jorge, there was opportunities to do so, in that game, in the series, 2004, ’05 & ’06.

And as stated before, Zim had no business out there.

Anyway, in 2005 & 2006, Pedro has done better than Pavano & Wright combined, and may have been the difference in 2005. If the Yanks were worried about him being a disruption in the clubhouse (which wouldn’t have made sense, seeing as they employed Clemens, Boomer, and Wright) it was a dumb move on their part.