• October 4th Game Called

Posted by on October 4th, 2006 · Comments (21)

Yeah, a retractable roof on the new place would be a stupid idea.

Go tell that to the 55,000 fans who have been sitting up in the Bronx for the last two hours.

I am so bummed by this turn of events. I know that you cannot fight the weather. Nonetheless, as a working stiff, I’m going to now miss watching this game. I hate having my eyeballs miss watching a Yankees post-season game. I cannot remember the last time that I missed watching a Yankees post-season game.

I probably would have played hookey or “worked from home” in the past – in order to be able to watch a day post-season Yankees game. I cannot do that tomorrow. Having this game called tonight kicks me right, square, in my Yankees-fan fannie.

Worse, because of meetings in the office on Thursday, I cannot stay tuned to a radio or Gamecast to follow the action as it happens. (Don’t even get me started over the fact that this game will now be played without me having a chance to change into my “lucky game watching clothes” because I will be at work.)

Let me try and equate the feelings now for me on this one.

I think I have it.

At this moment, Game 2 of the ALDS between the Tigers and Yankees is the football.

The weather is Lucy.

And I am freakin’ Charlie Brown.

Yeah. That fits.

Comments on October 4th Game Called

1. bloodyank78
      October 4th, 2006 | 10:53 pm

As far as the purists go w/the anti-retractable roof sentiment…they suck. Nothing gets me angrier than a rainout other than a tough, kick in the balls type, Yankee loss. I feel your pain Steve. I have a meeting at 10am(pacific) tomorrow that I CANNOT miss. It’ll probably go until 1pm, ARGGGHHH. I cleared my entire schedule around the Yank games this week.

2. JeremyM
      October 4th, 2006 | 11:30 pm

Well, I guess I can’t complain too much as I don’t have meetings, just regular ole work. So, gameday or, if I can get the reception in on the weak AM station that will play the game, the radio for me. Anyway, this sucks, but hopefully the rest will help Mussina.

And the rainouts have been KILLING the Yanks in the playoffs. I’m all for the retractable dome.

3. JeremyM
      October 4th, 2006 | 11:31 pm

Great analogy by the way, Steve:)

4. baileywalk
      October 4th, 2006 | 11:40 pm

You have to wonder exactly what the game is going to be like tomorrow. Will the Stadium even be full? Considering the cost of the tickets, my guess is that ninety-nine percent of Yankee fans have jobs. I doubt most of them can skip out. Yeah, some people will give their tickets away, but not everyone will (I’m sure there are plenty of bitter ticket-buyers out there).

The only people who are angrier than the fans is ESPN, which loses out on a prime-time Yankees game.

It’s good that the bullpen gets an extra day, but then they have to play in three straight.

The whole situation sucks, but hopefully it will be a forgettable blip in a few days.

5. Jen
      October 4th, 2006 | 11:57 pm

Wow, I guess Yankee fans really are spoiled :-)

Yeah, it sucks, but what are you gonna do? I guess we could blame FOX for insisting that only they can show games after 8:00. Be lucky you’re not A’s fans. They’ve had to deal with 10am starts for the past two days.

Luckily, I worked the Yankee game thing out with my boss before I was even hired. He’s a big fan as well, so I really didn’t need to explain my passion to him. As soon as I heard that if there was no game it would be played tomorrow, I called him to see if I could get the day off. As a compromise I’m doing some work tonight. And he’ll most likely play hooky as well and take my 2 extra tickets.

6. brockdc
      October 5th, 2006 | 12:54 am

Jen, as if you didn’t already know – you have a dream boss. I’ll be working tomorrow, too, far away from a TV set or radio. And, trust me, none of you wants me anywhere near Gameday, where my viewing W/L percentage has got to be somewhere in the .300 – .400 range. Can’t TIVO either, as I have class after work until 10. Crap.

7. October 5th, 2006 | 1:03 am

Damn, two extra tickets? :-P

I already plan to miss a class for the game… sure, the class isn’t too important, but still…

Verlander warmed up, Mussina didn’t… any thoughts on that?

8. Jen
      October 5th, 2006 | 1:10 am

Yes brock, I’m very grateful have a boss like him.

Brent, when get out into the real world, and your boss tells you to notify him of any extra tickets, you give him first dibs:-)

9. Don
      October 5th, 2006 | 2:27 am

Poor baby, a rainout, wah-wah-wah. Yeah, the new stadium is already likely to cause serious financial stress (you read it here first) so let’s add another $250 million and make bankruptcy likely, as well as the stadium ugly. All domed stadiums, retractable or not, are ugly.

10. October 5th, 2006 | 3:56 am

My wife and I were sitting at the game for over 2 goddam hours! It’s the 3rd game this year we’ve missed because of rain. I want a retractable roof. And they certainly are NOT ugly. So the cost goes up, somehow Arizona did it, and Houston, and Seattle… Is it too late to add it to the new stadium? God, I hope not.

We had to sell our tickets because of the rain. Talk about a giant letdown. And the way the Yankees handled it was a joke too.

11. baileywalk
      October 5th, 2006 | 4:08 am

Don, I don’t know if you have kids or not, but I imagine it would be tough being raised by you. “Poor baby, a broken nose, wah-wah-wah — be a man!” “Poor baby, existential crisis over man’s ultimate faith, wah-wah-wah — toughen up!”

98Yanks, it was MLB’s call, not the Yankee’s. Check out Peter Abraham’s blog for a blow-by-blow. No one even told the Tigers the game was called. They were out on the field stretching and playing catch and the Yankees were dressing to leave. ESPN also said Verlander warmed up (and Moose never did). MLB simply dropped the ball on this one — and for the same old reason: greed. They wanted this game played no matter what. They need the Yankees in prime time. While they were worrying about the financial/ratings hit, they forget that there was another team in the ballpark.

12. antone
      October 5th, 2006 | 7:33 am

Yeah it really sucks this game is being played at 1, I have to work until 4 and this is busiest time for me because it’s month end closing. If I was still in school, I would skip class definitely, but that’s not an option anymore. At least I can check the gamecast but it’s not the same as watching it!

13. October 5th, 2006 | 7:43 am

Well sure, a retractable roof would be nice, but it isn’t like they turned down the “throw in” option that came with the place.

Anyway, I am also disappointed that the game is on at 1 tomorrow.

I’m student teaching right now, so I can’t miss that. If I simply had class, I’d be glued to the TV.

I hate missing Mussina’s start.

14. rbj
      October 5th, 2006 | 9:09 am

It’s A-Rod’s fault, right?

October 5th, 2006 | 9:25 am

==========
      Well, a little perspective WAS needed, and Don provided it.

Had the game started when it was supposed to, they probably would have gotten it in. I’d be willing to wager that if it was a regular season game, they would have gotten it in.

A retractable roof isn’t the answer, having MLB get their s#!t together is.

16. October 5th, 2006 | 9:31 am

Why do I think Don is not sending me a gift basket this Holiday season?

J/K Don. I hope you, and everyone, knows that I’d rather see people disagree with me than not care at all.

17. christopher
      October 5th, 2006 | 9:42 am

I hate rain outs. I think they always favor the team that is on the ropes. I’m convinced that we would have won the 2004 ALCS if Game 3 didn’t get rained out. We almost lost the 2003 ALCS because of a rain out as well.

18. antone
      October 5th, 2006 | 10:13 am

Yeah, I think the rainout in 2004 definitely hurt, because Boston’s pitching got an extra days rest and they didn’t have to pitch a random pitcher that game..I think they were gonna throw Burkett or someone, I don’t like rainouts either but hopefully this one won’t hurt.

19. MJ
      October 5th, 2006 | 11:26 am

Yeah, the rainout definitely works against the Yanks since Mo can only go 1 inning at a time (can he go back-to-back days?), Proctor and Villone are both horrendously overworked, and Farnsworth is a delicate little flower that can only go every other day. With a potential for 4 games in a row, and with the likelihood that the A’s will be well-rested, I think today’s kind of a must-win for the team.

20. rmd0311
      October 5th, 2006 | 11:32 am

Well., I have a freaking 1PM meeting, which sucks. But afterwards, I will take a VERY VERY long lunch and go to the Applebee’s on 50th. Sit down at the bar, down a couple of beers and a burger while watching the game. Hopefully I won’t miss much, or the office won’t BUG me about it.

21. October 5th, 2006 | 11:36 am

An excellent day for a long lunch at a sports bar, if you can sneak it in!