• 2006 ALDS Game 4: A-Rod Bats 8th

Posted by on October 7th, 2006 · Comments (7)

Today’s Yankees starting line-up, last I heard:

Damon CF
    Jeter SS
    Abreu RF
    Sheffield 1B
    Matsui DH
    Posada C
    Cano 2B
    Rodriguez 3B
    Cabrera LF

I love the idea of getting Melky in LF and having Godzilla at DH.

But, here’s where I’m getting dizzy. This game is the Yankees season. It’s must win. Lose and you go home.

Jason Giambi is not playing and Alex Rodriguez is batting 8th.

You tell me, when the Yankees signed Giambi, on that day, if I said to you “In a must win game, do you sit Giambi?” what would have been your reaction?

Also, tell me, when the Yankees traded for A-Rod, on that day, if I said to you “In a must win game, do you bat Rodriguez 8th?” what would have been your reaction?

Mark down today’s date: October 7th, 2006. This is the date that we can look to when judging the acquisitions of Giambi and A-Rod. The results of today’s starting line-up tell you everything you need to know. In a “must win” or die game, the manager of the team feels that he cannot count on these guys to be major factors towards a chance to win.

What a bizarre day this has become – learning about this line-up now. When I woke up this morning, I truly began to feel that the Yankees would win this game today and bring it home for Wang in Game 5. And…I liked New York’s chances in Game 5. But…I thought that A-Rod and Giambi would be part of the win in Game 4. Looks like that was a mistake. Maybe Abreu and Sheffield can be the big men for the Yankees today? Put it this way – they’re going to have to be the ones.

Giambi sits this one out and A-Rod might be lucky to get three At Bats.

Bizarre, indeed.

Comments on 2006 ALDS Game 4: A-Rod Bats 8th

October 7th, 2006 | 3:01 pm

wow…

This’ll get more bizarre if (when?) Giambi PH’s for ARod.

Now, I wonder that if the Yanks blow this, we’ll have a roster overhaul. Didn’t really consider it until seeing that lineup.

2. October 7th, 2006 | 3:02 pm

Steve, Just wondering but “A-Rod might be lucky to get three At Bats”? Bonderman would have to pitch a better-than-perfect game for A-Rod to get fewer than three at bats. Unless you think Torre would actually pinch hit for him.

3. baileywalk
      October 7th, 2006 | 3:05 pm

That’s nonsensical about Giambi. He’s not playing because Torre is going by matchups. You could have said the same thing about Sheffield yesterday.

It’s true about A-Rod, though; he’s batting eighth because he hasn’t been able to hit in the post-season with the Yanks.

4. christopher
      October 7th, 2006 | 3:33 pm

Giambi and Sheffield both suck against Bonderman, but you have to get Giambi out of the field. I’d prefer to see either Posada or Matsui in the clean up spot instead of Sheff. Got no problem with A-Rod batting 8th.

However, the lineup doesn’t mean crap if Wright can’t go out and give us 5 solid innings. If he can give us 5 innings of 2 run ball, then we’ll win today, win tomorrow and we can pretend games 2 and 3 never happened.

October 7th, 2006 | 5:56 pm

oh boy…

6. baileywalk
      October 7th, 2006 | 7:37 pm

This team was pitiful. Hopefully the one good thing that comes out of this is that Torre is fired and we see the last of Johnson and Sheffield (and maybe A-Rod, too).

They gave away game two, and absolutely rolled over and died in the last two games. This team looked bored and out of it. Everyone was swinging at the first pitch. It was like they wanted to go home. The worst performance by this team that I’ve ever seen.

7. JeremyM
      October 7th, 2006 | 7:52 pm

It was bad, although the Boston collapse still takes precedence-barely. If anyone wants to defend Torre, it’s going to fall on deaf ears my way. The man has been the captain of the Titanic the last few postseasons, remaining motionless as the Yanks sink around him. And hindsight being what it is, Sheffield coming back did not help this team one iota; they were much better off without him. So bat him 4th by all means. Jeter played good ball overall, other than his bunt, but his smiling act didn’t do it for me this time around. I’m all about Posada’s redass act right now and wish that kind of feeling could’ve spread throughout the team.

On the bright side, Wang staying in New York will hopefully keep him unsullied from this debacle.