• Moose Loose?

Posted by on October 13th, 2006 · Comments (12)

From Jon Heyman today -

The Yankees have decided not to exercise the $17 million option on Mike Mussina. If they can’t work out an equitable alternative deal — say, for two years — they’ll have to pay him the $1.5 million buyout.

I expect the Red Sox, Mets, and Indians to all try and offer Mussina a two year deal as well. And, since Moose’s agent is Arn Tellem (who Big Stein once said was “no good”), I expect Camp Mussina to field as many offers as possible.

For all we know, the Nationals and Orioles might make a run at Mussina as well.

I would bet that Moose wants to stay in the AL, close to Montoursville (PA), and play for a team that can help him reach 280 career wins.

Prediction: Mussina will be playing his home games in Fenway Park next year.

Comments on Moose Loose?

1. MJ
      October 13th, 2006 | 1:32 pm

Quite honestly, the Yanks better find a way to deal with Mussina and Tellem. Not that I love Mussina that much but a) the free agent market is very thin and I’d rather overpay slightly for two years of average-to-above-average Moose than take my chances with unknown commodities and b) for him to leave NY and go to Boston not only weakens the Yanks but strengthens Boston.

I hope Cashman doesn’t waste any time on this and makes it a priority to get Mussina back.

2. October 13th, 2006 | 1:36 pm

FWIW, they had no problem with Tellem on the Matsui deal, IIRC.

3. christopher
      October 13th, 2006 | 1:47 pm

With Schilling and Wakefield pushing 40, I think Boston will go after a younger guy like Zito. I think Moose will stay in pinstripes. It would be a mistake to let him walk.

Can’t remember if it’s been discussed here or not, but do you think Moose is a HOFer? It will be an interesting vote if he finishes with 280 or so wins, but no rings, no 20 win season, and no Cy Youngs.

4. brockdc
      October 13th, 2006 | 1:51 pm

Moose will stay. And, yes, the Yanks will overpay.

My Magic 8-ball says next year’s opening day rotation will be…

Wang
      Matsuzaka
      Moose
      Buehrle (don’t ask me – it’s the 8-ball’s fault)
      Unit

5. October 13th, 2006 | 1:52 pm

280 wins should get him into Cooperstown. I don’t think that 250-ish will do it.

6. MJ
      October 13th, 2006 | 2:04 pm

I don’t want any part of Buehrle unless his contract is so cheap that a team would be stupid to let him walk by. He got positively ROCKED in 2005.

October 13th, 2006 | 2:31 pm

=======
      *shrug* What about Wakefield?

I think he’s such a Boston icon, they don’t let him go.

8. MJ
      October 13th, 2006 | 3:04 pm

Raf, I only take Wakefield if we can get Mirabelli too.

(I hope the sarcasm was clearly conveyed. I don’t want anyone jumping down my throat as I was merely joking)!

9. jonm
      October 13th, 2006 | 3:18 pm

I’m not sure that Mussina will get into the Hall, but I think that he should, even if he retired now with 239 wins. His numbers, adjusted for era, fit right in with those of other Hall of Fame starters.

Still, if I were the Yankees, I would offer Mussina 2 years at $22 million take it or leave it. If he leaves it, they’ll have shed one more 8 figure salary for an aging player. Mussina is by no means a sure thing. 3 of the last 4 years he’s been decidedly average. I’m not completely convinced that a young pitcher like Rasner could not put up numbers comparable to what a 38-year-old Mussina would put up next year.

10. October 13th, 2006 | 3:53 pm

I could live with 2/22 or 1/15 with a team option/buyout on the 2nd year – - $15 mill to stay and $2 mill on the buyout.

11. bfriley76
      October 13th, 2006 | 5:08 pm

=========
      Isn’t that basically the $17 million they just declined?

I was under the impression it was going to be closer to a 2 year deal for less the $20 million, but maybe I underestimated.

12. October 13th, 2006 | 6:01 pm

Good point. Knowing that, make it 1/12 with a team option/buyout on the 2nd year – - $12 mill to stay and $2 mill on the buyout.