• A-Rod = Lone-Wolf

Posted by on October 16th, 2006 · Comments (11)

From TMZ.com -

Just days after Alex Rodriguez lost friend and teammate Corey Lidle to a tragic plane crash in NYC, the Yankees slugger had a frightening airplane experience of his own.

As reported by CBS 2 news in Los Angeles, the 31-year-old walked away uninjured after his private Gulfstream jet overran a runway at Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, Calif. and was brought to a halt by an arresting system on Friday.

While the event might have scared most people into a hermit-like state for the remainder of the weekend, not A-Rod. The $250 million man hit the Hollywood scene almost immediately after exiting the plane. First stop was the exclusive and expensive Ivy restaurant in Beverly Hills, where it looked Alex enjoyed a peaceful meal by himself before his personal driver escorted him into an awaiting vehicle.

Rejuvenated and relaxed, Rodriguez hit popular nightclub Area the following evening. Even though he was flanked by several beautiful women throughout the night, the happily married dad left the club all by his lonesome.

Sounds lonely to me – no “E,” Turtle or Drama to share a meal with or to join him at the clubs?

By the way, any chance that Alex was in SoCal scouting out, if you pardon the pun, a new landing spot for him to play at next season?

Comments on A-Rod = Lone-Wolf

1. Garcia
      October 16th, 2006 | 1:48 pm

Steve – I understand your last comment, but doesn’t the ARod news get old to you? I thought the piece by Peter Abraham was good and had more value than this crap.

ARod is like the Paris Hilton of the majors. Good or bad, the press he gets will always be negative. He saves that kids life in Boston and people were having all sorts of fun with that. Anything, anything, this guy does is put in a negative light.

I think he should be traded but I also see the hatchet job the media is doing, especially the Daily News, is borderline unethical.

I always thought Peter handled ARod fairly. He gave him credit and critiqued him on valid baseball stuff, a lot of the print media can’t seem to do that. I hate reading about ARod already. It’s so stupid and in poor taste. And I like poor taste stuff just like the next guy. I sit at home and watch a tranvestite having sex on Howard Stern’s OnDemand channel, but this ARod stuff is just unreal. I have never in my life seen anything like this. I sincerely feel everything that T.O gets he deserves, but I don’t think that all the useless criticism ARod gets has any merit.

2. baileywalk
      October 16th, 2006 | 4:47 pm

Well, Garcia, you’re right — and you put it perfectly — A-Rod IS the Paris Hilton of baseball… only he has talent. The press coverage of him really has taken on a kind of “teen idol” vibe. Which is why I hope he gets traded.

Steve, we can only hope the Yanks and Dodgers have been talking and Alex is checking out L.A. homes as we speak. I will gladly dance a jig in centerfield at Yankee Stadium (before the cops tackle me) if in the next few weeks we hear that Alex got traded for Billingsley, LaRoche and Elbert.

And while I’m not totally sure, this might be the first mention of a tranny having sex on this web site — which just goes to show you that ANY subject can come up in a discussion of A-Rod.

3. baileywalk
      October 16th, 2006 | 4:51 pm

By the way, Piniella is in with the Cubs, so expect to hear “A-Rod to the Cubs” seven million times this off-season. One newspaper today was floating some Ronny Cedeno/Prior trade idea, but I would have to imagine the Cubs would have to empty out their minors to get anything done. Alex only leaves if it puts the Yankees in a better spot than when he left; it’s not just to “get rid of him.”

October 16th, 2006 | 5:09 pm

Piniella to the Cubs? What an interesting pair. Looks like Macha’s out in Oakland too.

5. MJ
      October 16th, 2006 | 7:56 pm

Let’s be clear about this: if Mark Prior comes to the Yanks, it’ll be a disaster. Ask any Cubs fan if they can rely on Mark Prior and what happens to a team that really needs him. He’s just a more talented version of Carl Pavano. There isn’t a single injury that is out of the question when it comes to Prior…

6. October 16th, 2006 | 11:20 pm

~~~doesn’t the ARod news get old to you?~~~

Something like 167 days till Opening Day. There’s going to be a lot of A-Rod stories in that time. Should I just ignore them?

7. JeremyM
      October 16th, 2006 | 11:48 pm

Steve, it’s your blog, do what you want, and I’ll still be here reading. I’ve been defending A-Rod lately, but I still think the guy is weird, and this just adds to it. I’m a loner by nature myself, and definitely not a club-goer, but if I did go, it wouldn’t be alone; then again, doesn’t sound like he has any problem meeting “folks”.

8. Jen
      October 17th, 2006 | 12:07 am

//Should I just ignore them?//

Not necessarily. But a TMZ.com link? C’mon. What’s next, Perez Hilton? :-)

9. October 17th, 2006 | 1:15 am

“By the way, Piniella is in with the Cubs, so expect to hear “A-Rod to the Cubs” seven million times this off-season.”

***************

It already has started happening…

:-)

October 17th, 2006 | 8:56 am

It already has started happening…
      ======
      Yeah, they started on 1010-WINS this morning too.

October 17th, 2006 | 9:01 am

on a totally unrelated note, from this morning’s “Hardball Times”

Philip Hughes

Hughes started the season in the Florida State League, but he earned a promotion in May and went 10-3 with a 2.25 ERA in 21 Eastern League starts.
      Strengths: Hughes’ stuff is above-average, but his impeccable control really sets him apart from other top pitching prospects. Hughes commands his fastball and secondary pitches well within the strike zone, and he only walked 34 batters in 146 innings pitched during 2006.

Risks: Hughes has been bothered by elbow and shoulder tendonitis in the past, but the Yankees coddled him with strict pitch and innings limits in 2006. The way his body responds to increased workloads in the coming years will be the most important factor in determining whether or not Hughes fulfills his potential as a front-of-rotation starting pitcher for the Yankees.