• The Bizarro Jerome

Posted by on October 18th, 2006 · Comments (6)

John Rolfe at S.I. shares a fan’s thoughts on Big Stein, the Yanks, and their fans:

One particularly bracing missive arrived the other day from Lisa Keenan of South Portland, Maine. Herewith, the Reader’s Digest condensed version:

“I can’t speak to Yankee fans of the 20s, 50s and 60s, but I CAN tell you that the ones of the new millennium are about the most insufferable bunch on the planet, and THAT’S what drives the rest of us to distraction. It has nothing to do with Yankee tradition or history at this point, and everything to do with money and George Steinbrenner.

“Yankee fans say that the rest of the league hates him only because of his ‘passion’ to win, which is completely false. We hate him because he’s a pathetic, arrogant fool, with no eye for talent or feel for chemistry, whose sole talent lies in being able to sign a check. He’s the Mr. Potter (It’s A Wonderful Life) of baseball. Like a poor little rich boy, he has acquired all these most expensive things (in his case, ballplayers) without thought as to how they will fit in or complement what he’s already got, and still something is missing.

“So he just goes out and buys something else (probably Barry Zito). It’s also sad to say that most of the players he buys are the type motivated only by the money (see: Johnny Damon), not the tradition and certainly not by winning. The money spent may buy talent, but not heart and soul (see: A-Rod, although I tend to think his heart and soul was simply beaten out of him). Face it, John. At this point, Yankee Stadium has become a Field of Bad Dreams for underachieving losers.”

I’m guessing that Ms. Keenan must have had a bad “meet-up” with a Yankees fan or something?

Comments on The Bizarro Jerome

October 18th, 2006 | 11:33 am

Feh.

Not everyone can be a Carl Pohlad, or a Bud Selig, or a Jeffrey Loria, or a Wayne Huizenga (I know he’s out of the biz, I’m just saying…), or a Peter Angelos, or a… Ah, I’ll just stop there.

2. Garcia
      October 18th, 2006 | 11:39 am

I love it when Sawx fans get on their soapbox. All of a sudden they are the arbiters of what is right is in their feeble little world. I love how they forget how they were able to acquire Johnny Damon, Keith Foulke, Manny, Schilling, Renteria, Pedro, et al, and all of a sudden they think that their vast riches had nothing to do with the fact that they constantly rape their fan base because of their blind loyalty and hatred for the Yanks. They (Henry, Lucchino, and co) want to keep their fans believing that they are working together to fight one common foe: The New York Yankees. They have been brainwashed to be obsessed with everything the Yankees do and how much they spend. I think the same is being done by the Yankees too.

I hate it when they don’t get mad at the root cause of this problem, quite simply it is major league baseball. But that just escapes them. The Yanks make the most the money and they have every right to spend the most, they are basically operating within the rules. It is this very same economic system that allowed them to win a championship, but they can’t rationalize or even come to grips with that fact. Basically the Yankees and Red Sox, are like IBM and Microsoft….if you talk to some people threre really is no difference.

I love all the vitriol that comes out of their fan base, it is quite funny actually. I don’t have a problem with them hating the Yanks, but when they start to cite all the money the Yankees spend then they are simply throwing rocks while living in their little glass house. They don’t have a problem signing players from other teams, but as soon as the Yankees do it then it is a sign of Yankee greed. Let’s not forget that V-Tek or D-Lowe didn’t even come out of their farm system. From their championship team’s position players, one and only one player came from their system, Trawt Nixon. Mueller, O-Cab, Bellhorn, Millar, V-Tek, Damon, Manny, and Ortiz….never came up through the Sawx system but were bought by the Red Sox. Yes, yes….they have every right to talk. What-the-F-ever!!!!

3. Garcia
      October 18th, 2006 | 11:47 am

The other part I love is her slight to Damon. When he took more money to join the Sawx then he wasn’t motivated by money then. Or even Keith Foulke, when the A’s offered him similar money, he still went to the Sawx. But she fails to acknowledge that….I hate stupid people.

I don’t have a problem acknowledging what glutons the Yankees can are, I actually encourage it. But she should be careful trying to cover the sun with one thumb and acting as if it doesn’t exist.

All the other MLB teams would love to have the revenue that is generated by the Sawx and Yanks. She acts like her team is operating under the Royals budget. Ughh…..why does this piss me off so much?!?!?!!?!?

4. Garcia
      October 18th, 2006 | 11:50 am

I just clicked on the link, damn plus she’s f’ing ugly. No wonder she’s pissed, nobody wants to bang her.

5. Joel
      October 18th, 2006 | 12:34 pm

Blah, blah, blah…

These people are hypocrites. When Manny was winning his WS MVP in 2004, was this lady saying that Manny should give back his $20 million per year?

And BTW, I haven’t heard many Mets fans complain recently about the big, bad Yankees “buying championships.”

Deep down, most fans wish they could have a George own their team.

6. Pete
      October 18th, 2006 | 12:45 pm

>>I just clicked on the link, damn plus she’s f’ing ugly >>

Can you say Chris Farley in a wig?