• Snow Bomber Update

Posted by on October 19th, 2006 · Comments (10)

From the Star Ledger -

No. 1 draft pick Ian Kennedy has a 1.04 ERA through three appearances (one start) in the Hawaiian Winter League, having struck out 14 in 8 2/3 innings. Joba Chamberlain, the Yankees’ second pick, is 1-1 with a 1.80 ERA, 15 strikeouts and two walks in 10 innings over three relief appearances. Former No. 1 pick Eric Duncan, from Seton Hall Prep, was off to a 6-for-27 (.222) start in the Arizona Fall League. Outfielder Brett Gardner was 11-for-24 (.458) through seven games, with a .641 on-base percentage.

Mark my words: Gardner will be playing in the Bronx, at some point, in 2007. I could even see this line-up happening:

LF Brett Gardner
    SS Derek Jeter
    CF Johnny Damon
    1B Jason Giambi
    RF Bobby Abreu
    DH Hideki Matsui
    C Jorge Posada
    3B Somebody
    2B Robinson Cano

I just wish there was a way to work Melky Cabrera in there as well.

Comments on Snow Bomber Update

October 19th, 2006 | 10:14 am

If Joe can find 400+ at-bats for Bernie, I’m sure he can find a way to work Melky in there somewhere (provided he isn’t moved this offseason). Damon, Abreu & Matsui will need days off.

2. Garcia
      October 19th, 2006 | 10:38 am

Who is this “Somebody” that’s playing 3rd for the Yanks? I didn’t see “Somebody” on the official Yankee roster.

3. Pete
      October 19th, 2006 | 11:18 am

“Somebody” is not going anywhere, according to Cashman today.

October 19th, 2006 | 11:25 am

“Somebody” is not going anywhere, according to Cashman today.
      ========
      I’ll believe it when I see Rodriguez @ 3b on opening day 2007.

5. baileywalk
      October 19th, 2006 | 12:01 pm

Gardner in left field? C’mon! I like Brett A LOT — it was awesome to watch him play in Trenton and make spectacular plays in center and steal on pitch-outs — but if people don’t think Melky has the power for a corner outfielder, what about Brett? Brett has NO power whatsoever. And despite what people say, I don’t think he’ll even develop five-ten home-run power. He’s the “good” version of Juan Pierre. And that’s cool, but there’s no way he would start in left over Melky.

Plus, the AFL numbers for hitters should be somewhat thrown out the window. Eric Duncan won the MVP there last year and got promoted overly aggressively because of it and ended up having a pretty poor season. (Kevin Howard won the MVP there, too, and he still can’t hit AA pitching.)

As I said, I like Brett — and I know you have a man-crush on him, Steve (no shame, no shame) — but he won’t be in left field for the Yanks. He should get a call-up to be a fourth/fifth outfielder/pinch-runner, though.

6. October 19th, 2006 | 12:05 pm

***Mark my words: Gardner will be playing in the Bronx, at some point, in 2007.***

Just like Frank Menechino got called up in Sept and got that big hit? ;-)

In all seriousness, Gardner could play in the majors right now – defensively. He’s got no power whatsoever, even for a leadoff guy, but his legs will get him to The Show.

7. MJ
      October 19th, 2006 | 12:20 pm

I hate it when people mess with the one thing that works right. Leave Damon in the leadoff spot. No one should touch the Damon-Jeter combo for any reason until we have evidence that it’s not working. And based on 2006, it worked very well. I don’t care how fast Gardner is, Damon-Jeter is the way it should be. If lineups are dictated by 40-yard-dash times, then we’ll call it track and field. Until then, you’ve got to hit or walk your way on and Damon does ‘em both pretty well.

8. christopher
      October 19th, 2006 | 12:37 pm

I’ll take MJ’s comments a step further and say that nobody should touch the Damon-Jeter-Abreu combo. That’s a dynamite top 3 – all capable of 20 HR, 30 SB, .300+ avg, .400+ OBP. You don’t mess with that.

9. October 19th, 2006 | 2:46 pm

~~~Just like Frank Menechino got called up in Sept and got that big hit?~~~

Ouch!

10. October 19th, 2006 | 4:52 pm

I’m just messin’ with you Steve. Lord knows I’ve made a ton of boneheaded predicitons in my day.