• Yadier-Bing!

Posted by on October 19th, 2006 · Comments (21)

I’m pretty happy for Yadier Molina tonight. I liked the kid ever since he got in Manny Ramirez’ face during the 2004 World Series. You have to love tough-nosed backstops.

No dancing for Agador tonight huh? And, does the 2006 NLCS now mean that we can call the Mets’ David Wright “Mr. Noctober“?

OK, as much as it pains me to say this, you have to give the Mets some props at this moment – they did not go down without a fight in this post-season (which is probably a lot more than you can say about the 2006 Yankees). Plus, Los Mets did it with people like John Maine and Oliver Perez.

Mets fans probably hurt right now as bad as a baseball fan can hurt – but, while the 2006 Mets will not win a ring, they had a decent shot at making the World Series and went down swinging.

Well, not really “swinging”…Beltran (to quote Ernie Harwell) “stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched it go by” on the last out with the bases loaded tonight…but, overall, the Mets team pushed it as hard as they probably could this October.

Speaking of Beltran on the last out…just imagine if this LCS and Game 7 had happened to the Yankees, and it was A-Rod caught looking for the final out with the bases juiced. Somehow, I don’t think Carlos Beltran will get the same reaction from the media, etc., that Alex Rodriguez would have received had that been him in that spot.

Comments on Yadier-Bing!

1. baileywalk
      October 20th, 2006 | 12:36 am

Good point on Beltran, Steve. A-Rod would get killed for that (though I think Beltran will hear about it, too).

But you’re giving the Mets waaaaaay too much credit. Yes, they lost El Duque, which hurt, but Pedro wasn’t a factor for them, and Maine was actually their best second-half pitcher. But it’s more about their opponent. The Cards had the worst record of any playoff team, and the “AL-style,” “awesome” Mets’ lineup got shut down by the likes of Jeff Weaver and Jeff Suppan (twice each!). The thing they won with all year — their offense — failed them. If the Cards’ hitting wasn’t so atrocious, the Mets might have gotten swept. Perez and Maine were able to shut down an utterly horrendous and punchless Cards’ offense. This is a series — considering that the Mets beat Carpenter (the Cards’ best pitcher) twice — the Mets should have rolled through.

They should have won, but they gave it away. Wright was horrible, and guys like Valentin and Chavez returned to form.

At least the Yankees lost to a good team.

We all THOUGHT the Tigers weren’t as good as the Yankees, but we forgot they won 95 games and had the best pitching in the AL.

The Mets actually DID lose to an inferior team. Considering how bad the NL was and how easily the Mets steamrolled to a division win, I would say the Mets’ season was a failure.

2. RICH
      October 20th, 2006 | 4:58 am

Getting to the 7th game of the LCS and losing in the last inning? I don’t think it’s a failure for the Mets or their fans at all based on how the team has played the last 4-5 years.

3. Garcia
      October 20th, 2006 | 7:25 am

I was rooting for the Mets, but I gotta tell you it felt good to see a New York team lose and me care so little that I fell right to sleep. I feel bad for my Met fan friends, but I have very little interest in the Mets at this point.

I really hate Larussa and I hate Kenny Rogers, so I guess I’ll be rooting for the Tigers. I’d hate to keep hearing about what a genius Larussa is during the off-season. F- him and I hate the Red States. Looking at the crowd in Busch Stadium looks almost like a Klan rally. That ain’t the good ole U.S of A that I know.

4. October 20th, 2006 | 8:45 am

FWIW, to baileywalk’s point, this is right up there with the 1906 Cubs, 1954 Indians, and 2001 M’s, in terms of a team with lots of wins losing to a team that was barely a .500 team.

But, also FWIW, to RICH’s point, there’s not much shame in losing in the 9th inning of Game 7 of the LCS too.

It’s a good debate.

Will Willow get the Grady Little treatment for not having a pinch bunter in there instead of Floyd in the 9th?

5. Garcia
      October 20th, 2006 | 9:28 am

I thought the right move was to put the tying run in scoring position – when playing at home. I think Willie was trusting his gut a little bit too much from the 6th inning till the end of the game. I still give him credit because he did a hell of a job managing this entire series.

I think a part of Willie was in disbelief because after Endy’s great catch he might’ve thought he was invincible after that and maybe he thought everything was going to go his way, so batting Floyd in that spot was no different. I know a part of me felt Floyd was going to come through there. They just seemed to be on a magical run and they weren’t going to be denied. It’s easy to fall prey to the moment.

I really think I learned a lot more about baseball in general this post-season than ever before. Here were the two best offenses in their respective leagues: Yankees and Mets. But in the playoffs they just couldn’t deliver. I didn’t think the Cards had the pitching to shut down the Mets, but they did. So here’s my question, how much credit should we give to the Cards when bad pitching beats good hitting? Unlike the Tigers – Yanks series, where good pitching beat good hitting. Though I still think the Yanks had more talent to overcome the Tigers good pitching, but they didn’t and the Yanks are where they are now so no sense crying over spilled milk.

I just feel that everything we know about the regular season should be thrown out the window come playoff time because we’ll never truly know if the team we are rooting for will be able to succeed in a small sample of games. If you slice up the regular season in 19 game chunks – 19 games are the most games any team can play during the playoffs – then we can see a lot of funny things can happen when we slice it up in those chunks. Basically, it’s when a certain losing streak happens and the effect that can potentially have in a short series, so if you were to analyze those results then you can see at different points during the regular season a team would have been kicked out of the playoffs. Maybe I’m just rambling on and I don’t make any sense, but getting to the playoffs should be an achievement the Yanks should cherish more instead of the current attitude – win the series or the season is worthless. I just can’t believe that the series we are going to watch is: Cards vs Tigers. Baseball is unreal sometimes.

6. TomP
      October 20th, 2006 | 9:30 am

This winter’s challange – find the A-Rod angle to every story.

7. Guinness
      October 20th, 2006 | 9:34 am

Giving blame to Beltran, and not credit the pitcher is crazy. Those pitches to both Floyd and Beltran were knee-buckling, and not many batters would have taken the bat through.

October 20th, 2006 | 10:39 am

I’d have bat Floyd in that spot too. I wouldn’t want to give away any outs in the 9th inning.

You have a lefty bat on the bench in Floyd, you may as well use him. I wish he had put the ball in play, but it could’ve been worse; he could’ve GIDP.

Nice work by Wainright, that was a heck of a pitch to Beltran to end the game.

And that Chavez catch? wow!

9. Roddy
      October 20th, 2006 | 11:04 am

Well., Yes Let’s not beat the AROD stick… I fell asleep in the 7th inning without a care in the world since i did not care who won. BUT had it been AROD who stood there looking. The WHOLE hour I watched of ESPN while I got ready for work and drank my coffee would have been ALL AROD all the TIME. Each pitch analyzed, each swing dissected and THE whole SEASON would be summed up with that one NON-swing. Just goes to show the BIAS.

Mets had a great RUN, and lost to a vastly inferior team. Freaking WEAVER…

10. October 20th, 2006 | 11:18 am

The worst part of the Mets’ loss, for me, is that the Endy Chavez catch becomes a footnote instead of the legendary, epic grab it deserves to be.

11. baileywalk
      October 20th, 2006 | 12:04 pm

———————-

Garcia, that’s offensive, to say the least. It’s like a Klan rally because they’re white? Outside of New York, the Cardinals have the best fans in baseball. They’re also pretty sedate, so unless I had my back turned and they started burning flags and shouting vile racist insults, all you’re doing is engaging in ignorant racism yourself.

12. baileywalk
      October 20th, 2006 | 12:19 pm

Two things:

1) The 2001 M’s lost to the Yankees, who won 95 games (and were coming off three straight World Series wins). Not exactly losing to a .500 team.

2) Outside of GETTING to the World Series, the Mets’ season is a failure. They basically clinched their division after the first month of the year. Outside of one bad stretch, they stomped and beat their way through the NL, and they were UNQUESTIONABLY the best team there. To lose to the Cards, who won 83 games, LESS than the Phillies (who won 85)? Getting beat by a team with NO offense and Jeff Weaver as the number two starter? Getting beat by the Cards after winning against their ace TWICE? There is simply no way the Mets get a pass losing this series. Their season would have been a success if they had gotten to the World Series and lost, but now the best team in the NL couldn’t beat a team that had no right to even be in the playoffs.

13. Guinness
      October 20th, 2006 | 1:38 pm

It’s funny to me that Weaver is/may end up with a World Series ring. By funny, I mean ironic, of course. That SL pitching coach works wonders and never, ever gets the credit he deserves.

14. Garcia
      October 20th, 2006 | 1:42 pm

I guess I’m a racist then….but when everyone looks the same then I find that kind of scary then. Excuse me if you are offended, actually no…I don’t want to be excused. I like seeing a good mix of people. So yeah, having everyone in the stands look exactly the same is kind of disheartening, but I understand it’s America’s heartland.

My comment was meant to make a point but I was using hyperbole to make it meaningful, obviously you missed the hyperbole part.

October 20th, 2006 | 1:58 pm

=================
      Weaver’s success is simply the law of averages catching up to him. Remember, he was 5-4,5.18 during the regular season.

October 20th, 2006 | 2:24 pm

FWIW, since the expanded playoffs (1995), the team with the best record in the AL made it to the WS 5 times. In the NL, 4 times. Twice the best regular season team in either league made it to the series, 1995 (Braves-Indians), & 1999 (Braves-Yanks). The team with the best record in either league has won the WS 3 times (1995, 1998, 2005).

What does it mean?

It means I’m bored @ work (:

17. Guinness
      October 20th, 2006 | 4:45 pm

Weaver’s success is simply the law of averages catching up to him. Remember, he was 5-4,5.18 during the regular season….

Or, he could be gaining confidence and pitching well under this new coach. Some guys succeed more under good coaches – see Zito, and anticipate his arrival in NY, and by that, I mean the Mets of course.

18. baileywalk
      October 20th, 2006 | 5:33 pm

——————————-

You’re a racist because in your mind a group of people of the same race equals a hate group, which is frankly stupid.

The KKK isn’t the KKK because they’re white; it’s because they spread hate. Their race has nothing to do with it.

Making a generalization about any race is racism — even if the people are white.

And you can use “hyperbole” as an excuse, but what you said was “Looking at the crowd in Busch Stadium looks almost like a Klan rally” — which seems like nothing more than your true feelings.

19. Don
      October 20th, 2006 | 5:45 pm

Amen baileywalk.

20. Garcia
      October 20th, 2006 | 5:54 pm

Fine, I knew what my intentions were but you can choose to interpret them any which you please. Quite honestly, I could care less if you offended. I’ll still sleep like a baby tonight. However, I like how you question my excuse is not being legitimate…..whateva!

October 20th, 2006 | 11:33 pm

—————-
      5-4, 5.18 (his number with the Cardinals) isn’t pitching well.