• Bloggers: Yanks Should & Will Keep A-Rod

Posted by on October 21st, 2006 · Comments (14)

Yesterday, I sent out a quick-and-dirty poll to several Yankees Bloggers which contained the following two questions:

Question 1:

Should – regardless of whether or not they will – the Yankees trade Alex Rodriguez?

Question 2:

Will – regardless of whether or not they should – the Yankees trade Alex Rodriguez?

The authors of fifteen different Yankees blogs responded – and here are the results:

Arodpoll.jpg

Note: I did not vote in this poll – so, these results do not include my opinion.

For the record, two bloggers responded “yes” to both questions and nine bloggers responded “no” to both questions. The remaining four bloggers had mixed answers.

Here are a few comments on the topic that some of the bloggers elected to share:

YF from Yanksfan vs Soxfan -

Assuming there’s a reasonable deal on the table that includes pitching, I would expect him to move. All the negativity is bad for business, the Yankees have needs, and he’s a valuable commodity. I wouldn’t expect him to go cheaply, however. I wouldn’t expect the team to accept cents on the dollar for so much production.

Sam Borden from NY Yankees Blog -

There is no doubt that Rodriguez is one of the most talented players of this generation – if not in baseball history – but there is also no doubt that the idea of playing in New York has festered in his head. I don’t see that changing. If he can be turned into young pitching, it’s a deal that has to be made.

Patrick from YanksBlog.com -

I have a hard time finding a good, viable reason to trade him. When people talk about New York fans being unreasonable, this is a textbook example. Offense (.313 AVG/.495 OBA in ’06 with RISP and 2 outs), defense (one questionable year does not erase a proven, gold glove caliber history), personality (unnamed sources in media reports are not going to make me deal him) – none of it cuts it with a player of this class. Essentially, he’s had 2 bad postseason series’ in a row. I’m as October crazy as the next guy, but so what? The postseason is a sample size season that decides the entire season. Great players can have a rough 7 games in an otherwise great season. He’s not writing letters here, he’s playing baseball.

Joe from The Sporting Brews -

I think it goes without saying, though I will anyway, that it (a trade) must be for equal value. That means a No. 2 starter and further serviceable Major League talent. But, (a trade will not happen since) I can’t foresee them acquiring equal value in a trade.

Jim Baumbach from On The Yankees Beat -

I think the Yankees will most definitely listen to the offers they will receive, and there will be plenty of calls. And perhaps they will investigate some options that could be attractive to them. But ultimately I think it will not benefit them to trade Rodriguez, not at what they will get back in return. And they will go for one more year to see if he can become a bigtime postseason player, finally.

Mr. Faded Glory from High and Tight -

You don’t trade a once in a generation type player, one year removed from an MVP, who in a down year hits .290 with 35 HR because Steve Phillips and Mike Lupica deicde to focus on ridiculously small sample sizes and rile up ignorant fans. No. Hell no. Especially not for what’s being bandied about as being available.

So, there you have it. According to the majority of Yankees bloggers in this poll, Alex Rodriguez should and will be a member of the New York Yankees in 2007.

Thanks to all my fellow bloggers for taking part in this poll!

Comments on Bloggers: Yanks Should & Will Keep A-Rod

1. jonm
      October 21st, 2006 | 12:27 pm

So Steve, what are your answers? From what you’ve written here, I would guess that you would answer yes to question 1 and no to question 2.

2. #15
      October 21st, 2006 | 2:49 pm

I think the fun question is… Who makes the list of players that you’d be willing to trade A-Rod to get? Mine’s a very short, pitching ace-dominated list (none are likely, so I’m essentially in the camp that says keep him). I’d pull the trigger for: Oswalt, J. Santana, Pujols, Halladay, Bran. Webb, Verlander, Sabathia, & E. Santana. Other than these guys, I’ll stick with A-Rod at third. To all the guys that are eager to dump A-Rod, what do you hope to get in return?

3. October 21st, 2006 | 4:04 pm

~~~So Steve, what are your answers?~~~

Yes to the first one – no doubt in my mind. As to the second one, that’s tough. I think the answer is no – based on the fact that the teams that probably want him, and can afford him, either don’t have a match for the Yankees or are teams, in the past, that are hard to deal with…

4. brockdc
      October 21st, 2006 | 4:05 pm

I agree that they cannot get equal value for A-Rod, so keep him.

5. brockdc
      October 21st, 2006 | 4:09 pm

Sorry about the double post, but I think the Angels would take Matsui. They have $$ and desperately need protection for Vlad. Plus, Mats would still be playing in a major U.S. market.

6. baileywalk
      October 21st, 2006 | 4:17 pm

Every time I see a discussion about A-Rod getting traded and hear the names being mentioned in possible trades — Billingsley! Elbert! LaRouche! Adenhart! Mendoza! Wood! — I get excited about the deal. I personally would trade A-Rod for two top prospects (as long as one of them was a pitcher). But the truth is I don’t think A-Rod is going anywhere. It’s one of those situations where you can say “it makes too much sense to happen.” A-Rod doesn’t want to admit failure, the Yankees don’t want to admit they made a mistake, and both sides know there is a lot of money to be made.

As for trading Matsui: it would be a lot easier to trade A-Rod than Matsui; while teams might stretch their budget to accommodate A-Rod, I don’t think you can say the same from Matsui (especially coming off a wrist injury). I don’t really think of Matsui as a plodding bopper. He’s more of a Bobby Abreu with less speed in my eyes.

7. MJ
      October 21st, 2006 | 9:00 pm

“[T]he Yankees don’t want to admit they made a mistake”

===================================

Bailey, I agree with everything you wrote except for the above. The Yankees’ trade of Soriano for ARod was a steal and I don’t think anyone would think the Yanks made a mistake at the time. Further, if the Yanks were to trade ARod, it wouldn’t be out of such a fear since they know, headcase or not, they still have the two-time MVP on their team. This is more about improving pitching while reducing stress than it is about clearing up mistakes.

Just my two cents.

And my vote, in case anyone couldn’t tell, is to trade him ASAP for as much pitching as we can get. The Yanks need the pitching and I’m sick and tired of hearing about Alex to the point that I look forward to him striking out in another team’s uniform for a change.

8. Yu Hsing Chen
      October 21st, 2006 | 9:51 pm

Cashman also said nothing about signing Damon nor trading for Abreu until it actually happened, it’s just what he is, he’s a pro that knows what to say in what situation(something A-rod obviously suck bad at), and even if he is going to trade A-rod, he’s not going to say that he is until a deal is actually sealed.

should they trade him? they should at least exploit the possibility. will they trade him? the chance of a right deal happening does exist,however it is going to be difficult to actually pull it off.

you can read the 4 beat writer blog the Yankees have, and it’s pretty much the samething, almost all 4 of them were defending A-rod all the way through the season but at the end all 4 sounded pretty down on him. these 4 guys follow the team around, you’d expect that they are pretty reflective of how the team people feels in general.

obviously Cashman isn’t going to trade A-rod just based on feeling, but to think that he won’t even exploit the possibility is stretching it. the Yankees obviously need some changes, and unfortunately A-rod is the most logical guy to trade if it means bringing back a package of good young players /prospects.

but if you look around the league, there are like 2 to 3 teams with the ability to afford a-rod, the need for a-rod, and the depth of young player/prospects to not get killed by trading a few. all 3 of them are in the west. Angels and Dodgers, and to a lesser extend D-backs.

9. October 21st, 2006 | 10:56 pm

The Yankees need more Godzilla’s, not one less, IMHO.

10. MJ
      October 21st, 2006 | 11:23 pm

More slow-footed, no-field streaky hitters? Good citizens are wonderful to have but I think the Yanks have plenty as is. One Godzilla is more than enough, really.

11. October 21st, 2006 | 11:43 pm

First of all, Matsui is not a Gold Glover – but, he’s not a butcher in the OF. If the Yankees can stand a guy like Jeter at SS (with the glove) then a guy like Matsui in the field in not going to kill them either. Sure, Melky is 100% better in the field. But, that’s a plus for Melky and not a knock on Matsui.

As far as streaky – sure – during the season he has his streaks. But, in the big spot, Matsui will make contact and come through – and take pitches too. See Game 7 of the ALCS, see the 2003 WS, and other post-season moments too.

He’s the closest to O’Neill that the Yankees have picked up since O’Neill left after 2001.

Like I said, you can’t have too many Matsui’s, IMHO.

12. brockdc
      October 22nd, 2006 | 2:27 am

Melky is not a great player or even a better player than Matsui, for that matter. But as this team is currently composed, he is a better day-to-day fit(unless Matsui were to DH full-time) in left field.

Melky’s game does have holes, but his game is pretty well-rounded for someone so young. He also has a great attitude and will probably improve given the opportunity. Mats, as I’ve said, is solid – but he’s hit his ceiling, can’t play D, and his slumps are insufferable GDP fests.

13. Yu Hsing Chen
      October 22nd, 2006 | 3:24 am

It’s hard to argue what really is better, would the Yankees be better off without Giambi this year? who is by far the most one-dimensioned player on the whole team… i think few would argue yes. it would be like saying the Sox are better off without David Ortiz.

The truth is, you need all types of guys, it’s hard to say what type of guy you need… in the end, you need guys that can produce.. period.

14. October 22nd, 2006 | 4:08 pm

“But…I have been thinking a lot lately about how this might be an ideal time to trade Matsui. I know, I know, he’s a “great Yankee” and garner’s lots of overseas revenue, et. al., but, at this point, he’s redundant and not a great complement to a lineup already filled with plodding boppers. With his suspect defense, he really should be playing DH, though we already have one (Giambi). I say spin him off for an Ervin Santana or a Grade-A catching prospect.”

Brock, on what planet does Bill Stoneman trade Ervin Santana for Hideki Matsui?