• Today’s Recommended Yankees Reading

Posted by on October 23rd, 2006 · Comments (12)

All Eyes On A-Rod.

Is there a Yankees’ tie to Rogers’ streak?

Limited-edition EasyCards featuring Wang fetch huge sums at charity bid.

The Rumor Mill: Taking a Breath.

Enjoy.

Comments on Today’s Recommended Yankees Reading

1. MJ
      October 23rd, 2006 | 12:02 pm

The Rumor Mill article worries the hell out of me. The Yankees should not even remotely consider accepting Mark Prior in any trade for Alex Rodriguez. Mark Prior is always injured to the point of being wholly unreliable. Why would the Yankees ever want to add another guy to their roster that they can’t count on? Isn’t that Pavano/RJ/Wright’s niche? And they better not trade Tabata/Hughes either. Finally, when it says the Yanks are after serious bullpen help, what does that even mean? Are they giving up on Proctor, Farnsworth, and Bruney already? Those three in front of Mo have the makings of the best bullpen in the Bronx in ages.

2. rbj
      October 23rd, 2006 | 12:15 pm

I wouldn’t touch any of the Cubs’ pitchers, I think that’s what happened to Pavano.

October 23rd, 2006 | 1:37 pm

========

I don’t get it…

4. rbj
      October 23rd, 2006 | 2:11 pm

Sorry Raf.
      Cubs pitchers like Prior and Wood seem to get injured when the wind blows; so maybe Pavano came into contact with them and that’s why he’s been hurt for the last two years.
      Ah well, not every joke can work.

5. October 23rd, 2006 | 2:14 pm

Then again, Prior could be like a Chris Carpenter type – where production meets potential and injuries move on once he does….

6. baileywalk
      October 23rd, 2006 | 2:39 pm

There’s nooooooo way the Yankees take Prior for A-Rod. Prior makes a lot of money. So if the Yankees took Prior off the hands of the Cubs, they would get zero financial relief AND be getting a starter who never starts and is always injured and has already questioned if he’ll be ready for spring training. No thanks. That would be a disaster. A-Rod will hit fifty home runs in Wrigley and Prior will be on the bench exchanging girls’ phone numbers with Pavano.

Also, the article says that Hughes and Tabata won’t be traded. And if the Yankees offer A-Rod for Zambrano (in the last year of his deal) and the Cubs ask for a top prospect too, the Yankees should laugh hysterically and hang up the phone.

The line that “George will only open this wallet (for Matsuzaka) if he gets a good scouting report” doesn’t make a lick of sense. The Yankees have known about him for years, he’s been scouted all year by the Yankees and other teams because they knew he was getting posted at the end of the year, the whole world saw him in the WBC, and I personally think Cash is making these decisions, not George. The Yankees know all they need to about Mats — they’ve been following his every move for over a year.

I don’t get the bullpen line either, MJ. You have Mo, Farnsworth, Bruney and Proctor set up for next year; you also have your lefty specialist still signed; and you have Henn if Villone is not back, plus Beam, Cox, and other kids down on the farm who could be up this year. I assume this is because Torre inexplicably blamed the bullpen for the playoff loss, but I think the ‘pen is the one area in good shape.

7. October 23rd, 2006 | 2:43 pm

Unless Proctor’s elbow blows, Mo’s forearm goes again, Farnsworth’s back acts up, and Bruney gets hurt again (like he did for Arizona). To me, the bullpen, while better than the rotation, is not a lock in 2007.

8. MJ
      October 23rd, 2006 | 2:49 pm

Steve, you and I are just not seeing eye to eye on stuff this week. Prior only represents Carpenterian production if he’s signed cheaply as a free agent and a team is taking a flyer on him, as the Cards did after the 2003 season. Prior is signed to a contract in Chicago and would have to be acquired in a trade. If you’re trading ARod for Prior, you’re basically saying you want Prior to be your #1 pitcher. Do you want Prior’s injury-riddled body to be the great hope for the Yanks next year?

Put another way, if Prior were a free agent, I’d endorse the Yankees picking him up as a #4/#5 starter with the upside of him becoming a #1. But I’d NEVER EVER trade ARod for him. With ARod you get a bad .290 and a weak 35 homers with horrendous defense and a dark gray cloud over your head every day. But he plays. With Prior, you might get 15 wins. You might also get 1 win like this past season (1-6 7.21 ERA, 64 ERA+). That looks good to you?

First dumping Moose for Suppan and now this. Come on, be serious.

9. MJ
      October 23rd, 2006 | 3:08 pm

========================================

Jeez, Steve the same could be said about anyone in baseball. If Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Zumaya, Jones, and German all eat bad catfish while in St. Louis tomorrow, then the Tigers are fucked. Well, yeah.

10. October 23rd, 2006 | 3:12 pm

Sorry guys – I gotta take off this Jerome Hat this week….it must be making you all want to hate me.

11. baileywalk
      October 23rd, 2006 | 3:52 pm

In all seriousness, Steve, you can only have so many bullpen guys. Mo, Farns and Myers (the latter two because of contracts) are locks. Bruney and Proctor are dirt-cheap power arms that pitched well last year and should be with the team. That’s five guys. Villone COULD be back, but who knows (and I think Henn is a decent alternative to him). Cox, Beam, and others are arms from the minors that will be coming up soon. I just don’t see a pressing need for bullpen arms. If some great setup man was available, I’d say go for it, but bringing in another Villone-type guy doesn’t make sense to me — not when we have better alternatives right under our nose.

12. October 23rd, 2006 | 8:39 pm

I’m glad he said Hughes & Tabata will NOT be traded. That’s our future.

The bullpen needs help?! What team was he watching? The pen did a very good job most of the year. Kyle was ok, Villone was good then bad, Myers was ok, Proctor was great, Bruney was even better, and Mo was Mo. Oh yeah, TJ Beam is a decent option, and Henn and Cox could be very solid too. Dont forget about RJ as a reliever (he still dominates lefties – even Ortiz – .494 OPS against!).

Of course you can’t trade Arod for Prior straight up. I think BC was saying if a trade happened with the Cubs, he wanted Prior in the package. Arod for Prior & Zambrano? Maybe. Throw in a decent prospect and you got a deal.