• …6, 5, 4, 3….

Posted by on October 25th, 2006 · Comments (12)

….well, that countdown didn’t take too long. From the USA Today -

New York Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield, informed Wednesday that the Yankees will pick up his $13 million option in 2007, was angry by the decision, hoping instead the Yankees would let him go.

“”This will not work, this will not work at all,” Sheffield told USA TODAY. “I don’t want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that.”

Sheffield, who heard that the Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Angels were interested him, said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and receive another three-year contract.

“I don’t know what they’re [Yankees] going to do,” Sheffield said. “Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just to a team for one year, there’s going to be a problem.

“A big problem.

“I will not do this.”

How many days until Pitchers & Catchers report?

Comments on …6, 5, 4, 3….

1. October 25th, 2006 | 11:46 pm

i was just about to post this link on the previous Sheff column.

Sorry Gary. You didn’t have to agree to that club option. So he’s upset bc he’ll be making $13 million next year – after he played in just 39 games this year?! what a worm.

2. brockdc
      October 25th, 2006 | 11:50 pm

What a huge baby. If someone gave me 13 million for a year of work, they could send me to friggin’ Middle Earth and I wouldn’t say boo.

October 26th, 2006 | 12:26 am

==============
      Seems to me that he wasn’t expecting to come back.

4. rbj
      October 26th, 2006 | 9:08 am

Gary wouldn’t be getting $13 mil on the open market, unless it was for two years. Take the money and the trade. Prove that your healthy and then go for another contract (when you’ll be what, 40?)

5. jonm
      October 26th, 2006 | 9:29 am

Sheffield doesn’t have a no-trade clause so it’s either accept the trade or sit out. Houston, according to the Star Ledger, is the best partner. Sheffield would hit very well in that park.

What’s a fair return? Would you do Sheffield for Lidge? I think that I might. Lidge’s peripherals from his bad 2006 don’t look so bad: he gave up 13 more hits and 5 more HRs and that’s what killed his ERA.

October 26th, 2006 | 9:35 am

I’d say you’d have to try and get a SP for Sheffield. Doesn’t look like the Stros have one to offer.

Of course, he can go in one of those 3-way deals.

Either way, the next few weeks should be interesting. More interesting, if this isn’t resolved by spring training.

7. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 9:36 am

Once a selfish prick, always a selfish prick. No matter what Michael Kay, John Sterling, and Suzyn Waldman kept on saying in 2004 about how all of the reports that Sheff was a bad guy were wrong, there was always a reason why he was working in his sixth clubhouse.

But hey, if he wants to sit out a year, that’s fine with me too. He doesn’t get paid and he has to come back in 2008 for even less money.

8. jonm
      October 26th, 2006 | 9:49 am

Of course, he can go in one of those 3-way deals.
      ————————————————

Cleveland needs a closer. How about Sheffield to the Astros, Lidge to the Indians, and Westbrook or Lee to the Yankees?

9. Exit9
      October 26th, 2006 | 10:41 am

I love this scenario as a way for Shef to exit because it shows him for what he is – a baby. More importantly it allows us to get something in return. We all know Cash will shore up pitching in the offseason and this gives him another chip before he has to deal A-Rod, which he might not be inclined to do. A coupld of stud SPs would take a lot of pressure off the offense next year. With Shef, someone will kiss his butt long enough to get his bat in the lineup, and we’ll get a pitcher out of it. I hope I never see Brad Lidge in pinstripes, though.

10. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 11:03 am

Not that I’d want Brad Lidge but if Jake Westbrook or Cliff Lee are the alternatives, I’d rather have Lidge in the stable with Bruney, Proctor, and Farnsworth as Mo’s setup guys than I’d want to have either Westrbook or Lee in my rotation. Both are strictly average.

11. WebmistressEMC
      October 26th, 2006 | 6:50 pm

Is the grand Sheffield-at-1B experiment going to continue? …’Cause I’m expecting that Sheffield won’t be traded, because he won’t agree to a trade unless he gets a free-agent-money revision of his option year money, plus a 2 year extension for that same free-agent money.

So, it’s a pretty scary proposition to think about a pouty sulking Sheffield fielding throws at 1B from “the third baseman”, who’s ALREADY had a year of trying to correct his fielding mechanics.

To paraphrase what Jim Rome said earlier today, he’ll have to worry now about throwing dead center at the third button on Sheffield’s jersey to avoid getting tagged with 50 errors next season…

12. October 26th, 2006 | 11:54 pm

i was watching Around the Horn (god help me) and they said that Sheff’s option was picked up bc the Yanks may intend for him to be the 2007 first-baseman.

they must be joking, right?