• Scott Boras Is A Carny Barker

Posted by on October 25th, 2006 · Comments (13)

On the drive home this evening, I heard Scott Boras being interviewed on the Michael Kay Radio Show (on 1050 AM, ESPN Radio, in NYC). Boras was speaking to A-Rod’s desire to stay in New York and the talents of Daisuke Matsuzaka.

In talking about Matsuzaka, Boras said that Daisuke (pronounced DICE-kay) throws 94 MPH.

OK, maybe he tops out at ninety-four (according to the reports that I’ve read from sources other than his agent). So, I can live with this claim. It’s sort of like the “bench press” lie – you know, like saying “I can bench press 275 pounds” – even though you’ve only been able to do it once, and for one rep, on a good day, with a spotter helping you at the end.

In any event, Boras continued on about Matsuzaka – claiming that Daisuke had a devastating breaking pitch called “the gyroball.”

I guess that Boras must have missed Jeff Passan’s interview with Matsuzaka from a few months back where Matsuzaka (himself) said that he does not feature a “gyroball” – although he’s tried to throw it in the past and may have accidentally thrown one in a game somewhere.

Is it just me or is there a difference between saying someone throws “X” as a ‘devastating pitch’ and saying ‘maybe I threw it once by accident’?

Boras is doing what Boras does best when it comes to selling Matsuzaka here – he’s taking an ounce of information and making it into an ocean of smoke-screen. This is just another reason why teams should proceed with caution when it comes to paying a fortune for Matsuzaka.

Or, teams can just listen to what Boras is saying on this pitcher, and, maybe, when the deal for Matsuzaka is done, Boras can then start to sell “Otis the Frog Boy” and “Jeanie the Half-Girl” as the next great free-agent keystone combo?

Comments on Scott Boras Is A Carny Barker

1. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2006 | 11:44 pm

I can tell I should stop coming here for a while. Matsuzaka is in the A-Rod/Mussina category for you, Steve — you don’t like them and you’re going to flog the shit out of them. I probably will not be able to take that about Mats.

Whatever reports you’ve read that Matsuzaka throws 90 (or “tops out” at 94) is bullshit. I said it before: go watch the video clips of the WBC. He threw 94/95 CONSISTENTLY. And if you watch his clips from Japan, he’s 92-96.

He throws hard. When he was younger, he hit 100 on the gun. Now he’s more of a pitcher and sits 91-96.

And you can see it for yourself if you go to YouTube.

2. October 25th, 2006 | 11:48 pm

Did you know that a radar gun was once trained on a tree and the tree was clocked at 85?

3. brockdc
      October 25th, 2006 | 11:52 pm

Hey Steve, I’ll tell you what I bench if you tell me what you bench.

You first.

4. October 25th, 2006 | 11:54 pm

baileywalk – you might enjoy this nugget:

“But many scouts, players and coaches don’t believe the radar-gun readings are accurate, saying television networks and teams are playing with the numbers to juice up interest as much as ratings.”

5. October 25th, 2006 | 11:55 pm

~~~Hey Steve, I’ll tell you what I bench if you tell me what you bench. You first.~~~

At my age, I’d be lucky to bench A-Rod in a must-win play-off game.

6. October 26th, 2006 | 12:02 am

Wow. I can’t believe Scott ‘Satan’ Boras said that. Wait, maybe I can – it is Boras.

Matsuzaka does NOT throw a gyroball. it’s a myth. Boras is a blatant liar.

But Mats DOES throw low-mid 90s. He did so in the WBC. He does in Japan. And that one scout said his normal FB is a 6/8, sometimes 7/8 (just below Clemens & Ryan). I dont know, that sounds pretty good. check him in the WBC. very nasty stuff.

actually, hiring Boras might help the Yanks in a way. it will make the medium-market teams bow out of the bidding bc it’s Boras. less bidders = less $$$.

7. October 26th, 2006 | 12:13 am

Mike P. breaks down the scout’s breakdown of Matsuzaka.

he basically says that the scout is right about everything except he undervalues his FB and slider.

October 26th, 2006 | 12:37 am

==========
      What bailey forgets to mention is that it was KPH :D

9. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 12:53 am

Well, Steve, where do you think your scout got his fastball readings from? Some extra-sensory powers or magic? Nope, a radar gun. If they’re so inaccurate, why are you so adamant that the scout is right? In other words, you believe it when it helps your point, but don’t believe it when it disproves it. Either they work or they don’t.

A true test of a fastball’s effectiveness is measured by a hitter’s reaction to it — and Matsuzaka strikes a lot of people out with his fastball and dominated with it in the WBC.

If dozens of guns in two countries say he throws 95, then I believe he throws 95.

10. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 12:58 am

What bailey forgets to mention is that it was KPH :D
      ————

I guess by “KPH” you mean “Km.” And by “forgets” you mean “fails.”

Last time I checked, the WBC used MPH.

But I’m done defending Matsuzaka on here. If you guys don’t want him — if you want to engage in silly jingoism about how the little Japanese guy can’t throw a hard fastball (not like us big Americans) — fine. I hope the Yanks sign him and I can’t wait to see him pitch in pinstripes. This is seriously the last Mats post I look in. It’s all getting too silly, full of misinformation… and oddly xenophobic.

11. brockdc
      October 26th, 2006 | 1:38 am

Baileywalk,

I appreciate your stance on Mats, but those are pretty over-the-top allegations about people behaving in a “jingoistic” and “xenophobic” way. I haven’t seen anyone on this site mention the “little Japanese guy,” as you put it. No doubt people have prejudices – we all do. But I have not seen any racial/cultural epithets on this site, nor anyone tacitly condoning such malicious and ignorant behavior.

October 26th, 2006 | 9:30 am

I guess by “KPH” you mean “Km.” And by “forgets” you mean “fails.”

Last time I checked, the WBC used MPH.
      ========
      Didja see that little thing after my sentence? The (:D)? Means I was joking. Being flip. Because despite presenting facts and stats, people will still go with what they believe, despite evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, I’ve said all along that the Yanks should take a look at Matsuzaka. And to be honest, I couldn’t care less how hard he throws, as long as he can pitch.

13. Paul
      October 26th, 2006 | 12:52 pm

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at October 25, 2006 11:48 PM
      ___________________________

Trees are sneaky. They mostly travel fast only at night. The rest of the time they stand around acting superior because they are taller than us.

Damned trees.