• Yanks Look To Trade Sheff

Posted by on October 25th, 2006 · Comments (10)

From The News -

The biggest buzz among the few general managers attending the World Series is the silent auction the Yankees have apparently already begun for Gary Sheffield. It turns out that Yankee GM Brian Cashman had always intended to pick up Sheffield’s $13 million option for next year – but not for the purposes of keeping him. Once the Yankees acquired Bobby Abreu from the Phillies at last July’s trading deadline, it was clear Sheffield no longer fit in their plans, but by picking up his option, they can now get something for him. And it could be a nice return as at least a half-dozen teams – the Angels, Orioles, Cubs, Giants, Astros and Rangers – are in the market for a power-hitting corner outfielder, and that doesn’t include the Red Sox and Mets. The Yankees can now prevent Sheffield going to such rivals, not a possibility had they let him flee.

Initiating countdown to Sheffield’s tirade…….10, 9, 8, 7…..

Comments on Yanks Look To Trade Sheff

October 25th, 2006 | 9:54 am

So, what happens if he doesn’t get moved?

And so begins the Sheffield to the Astros rumors (of the teams mentioned above, they’re the best fit)

2. JeremyM
      October 25th, 2006 | 10:09 am

I was just thinking about Sheffield and wondering if the Yankees would go this route. I’m glad that they will, so long as they can acquire something of value.

3. October 25th, 2006 | 10:15 am

I just don’t see the Orioles, Giants, and Rangers being players in this thing. This makes it maybe 3 teams with an interest. I doubt the Yankees get much back – given his age, contract status, and the market. I think Cashman would just be happy not seeing him go to Boston or the Mets.

But, then again, they better be careful – there’s no rule that says someone like the A’s can’t trade for Sheff and THEN turn him around and send him to Boston or the Mets.

4. MJ
      October 25th, 2006 | 11:43 am

While I used to love Sheff, he turned me off in 2006 so I’m personally thrilled that they’re signing him to trade him out of town. The Yanks get something, anything, in return, and he doesn’t go to Boston as a free agent.

Obviously there are no guarantees that he doesn’t get moved to Boston in a second trade, but the Red Sox aren’t in the market for a DH and I don’t see Sheffield fitting into their organizational long-view of getting younger and having good fielders at reasonable contracts. Further, if Boston was unwilling to trade any of their prospects for Bobby Abreu or Andruw Jones in July, why would they do that for a guy like Sheff who is older, far more defensively challenged, and a big prick? You think he’d be happy playing in Boston? I don’t.

5. October 25th, 2006 | 11:58 am

Hey, David Wells survived there.

6. baileywalk
      October 25th, 2006 | 12:00 pm

Cashman should just let Sheffield walk. What happens when he picks up the option and trades him, and Sheff pulls a “You can trade me to that team but I won’t play for them” ploy like he said he would earlier in his Yankee career? Something tells me Sheffield would rather not play just to hold up the Yankees than go to another team — he’s still that immature and stubborn.

October 25th, 2006 | 12:09 pm

=======
      As well he should.

At the very least, they’re potentially costing him $$, and the potential of moving again at the end of next season (provided he is moved and doesn’t sign an extension).

If they don’t want him, let him walk.

And he’ll do just fine in Boston.

IIRC, Shawn Green is signed for next year, I don’t see Sheffield going to the Mets.

8. rbj
      October 25th, 2006 | 1:39 pm

Sheff wants homerun #500, if he sits he costs himself $$$ and a year of his career plus who else is going to want him in 2008? (I am assuming he does not have a no-trade clause in the option).

He’ll do fine in Houston.

9. SteveB
      October 25th, 2006 | 4:49 pm

I think you guys underestimate Cashman. He got Abreu for nothing. I’m pretty sure he can convince Gary to take a trade, and not cause any trouble until he gets to his new team.

10. October 25th, 2006 | 10:59 pm

Though I completely disagree with Cashman’s decision on Sheffield, I have to ask…

How much money would the Yankees have to take on in order to make a trade happen?