• All Things Bubba

Posted by on October 26th, 2006 · Comments (14)

If you have a second, you might want to check out All Things Bubba.

Just don’t break the news that Bubba is now a free-agent.

Bubba Crosby had a nice Yankees career – in a Roger Repoz kind of way.

Darren Viola, if you’re out there, any chance that one of your boys will take up the “Bubba” handle someday?

Comments on All Things Bubba

1. October 26th, 2006 | 11:45 am

“any chance that one of your boys will take up the “Bubba” handle someday?”

No, but back in ’68 I had a dog I named Vito, alas he ran away…that whole colavito thing just didn’t work out.

2. October 26th, 2006 | 12:12 pm

Did you know that…

In ancient rome there was a poem,
      About a dog who found two bones,
      He picked at one,
      He licked the other,
      He went in circles,
      He dropped dead.

Freedom of choice!

3. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 1:08 pm

Can I kill the fun for a second? Bubba symbolizes to me the bizarre attachment the Yankees have to mediocre players. Bubba was on this team when other people were more worthy. He got the job out of spring training when it should have gone to Kevin Thompson. If he didn’t get hurt this year, Torre probably would have started him when all the injuries went down. He couldn’t hit, he was a so-so fielder, but Torre (and even Cash, I guess) felt devoted to him. Despite doing squat, he was “a part of the team” and that was all that mattered. He went out like a chump, bitching that they cut him. And the lasting image I’ll have of him is running wildly into Sheffield in the playoffs and blowing that game to pieces. If you look at Mussina’s face when they collide, you can see this thought: God hates me.

4. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 2:03 pm

I’m with you 90% of the way, Bailey. For one, I blame Sheffield as much as Bubba on that play because, after all, he’s the CF and he’s calling the shots out there. Second, it’s not like Moose was pitching a crisp game out there. If I remember correctly, he wasn’t fooling anybody in that Game 5. Finally, the Yanks lost that game because no one could get a hit – not Matsui, not Sheffield, not ARod – and not because of a bad play in the first third of the game.

5. October 26th, 2006 | 2:28 pm

FWIW, IIRC, and I’m not sure because I don’t have it with me now, “The Fielding Bible” said that Bubba was a very good CF.

I don’t blame Bubba for that play in the ALDS. Even without the crash, I don’t think Sheffield makes the grab there. It was Bubba to make the play or no one.

October 26th, 2006 | 2:38 pm

==========
      Yep.

From what I remember of that game, it seemed the Angels were hitting a lot of bloops and bleeders.

7. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 2:40 pm

Hey, people will debate this forever. Even if think Bubba had a right to that ball, it was close enough to being Sheff’s territory that you HAVE to let him know you’re coming. In all the years I was playing in the outfield (though I primarily pitched) I never headed toward that “in-between” area without shouting my fucking head off. If you look at the tape, Bubba is acting like he’s alone out there — which he did all the time. He ran into Jeter once before, and he even ran up Giambi’s ass while running the bases. The guy lost focus on the game when he was on the field; he forgot about the people around him.

Mussina wasn’t getting smacked around in that game. He had a 1-2-3 first inning, then gave up a homer to Anderson, and would have gotten the final out right there in the second when Bubba and Sheff came together. Instead, two more runs scored and it was 3-2 Angels. In the next inning Moose gave up two soft singles and two more runs on a sac fly and a fielder’s choice.

Jeter later added a home run to make it 3-5. And then we have the famous ninth inning. Jeter leads off with a single. And A-Rod hits into a double play. Giambi and Sheff hit back-to-back singles. And then Matsui ends the game with a groundout.

What happens if Sheff or Bubba catch that ball? What happens if A-Rod doesn’t ground into a double play? Do the Yanks later beat the White Sox? And then the Astros? Personally, I think they do.

8. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 3:23 pm

It’s a giant what-if, but I don’t see how they’d have beaten the White Sox. The White Sox rotation went on one of those crazy hot streaks last October that you just gotta shake your head and say “wow” to. I mean, with the same lineup in the playoffs just a few weeks ago, we got mowed down in the same way Chicago mowed down the Red Sox, Angels, and Astros. Why would this lineup, which could barely hit Angels pitching, fare better against a red-hot Garland/Contreras/Buehrle/Garcia/Jenks?

9. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 4:28 pm

I hate when I write a long-ass response, hit “Post,” and then lose it because it inexplicably tells me I’m not logged in. ARRGGHH. Anyway, I wrote a long explanation of why the White Sox were so overrated, and how their pitchers looked like superstars because of lousy hitting. They were lucky to beat the Red Sox — they knocked around Clement in game one, an error got them the win in game two, and El Duque saved them in game three (where Garcia was not sharp and gave up bombs to Manny and Ortiz).

The Angels could not hit.

The Astros couldn’t hit either, but every one of those games was close and the Astros scored runs.

The White Sox pitchers threw a couple of complete games, but that foursome is mediocre in my opinion — the Fox hype machine (hello, Joe Buck) has turned them into Young, Gibson, Clemens and Johnson in their primes.

10. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 5:09 pm

I’m not saying that foursome didn’t turn into a slightly above average crew in 2006 nor am I saying that Joe Buck and Tim McCarver didn’t overdo it with their compliments and, most of all, I’m certainly not saying that the Angels and Astros were offensive juggernauts. But in 2005, I know what I saw. The White Sox pitchers were on fire in the ALCS and WS and, close games or not, the other teams had very few opportunities to score.

Most of all, there’s no reason to think that the Yanks, who did .253/.347/.392 against a team that had an injured Colon and “aces” like Paul Byrd and Kelvin Escobar, could do better. I mean, if the Yanks couldn’t hit the Angels, why would they be hitting the White Sox?

Don’t get me wrong, maybe the Yanks could’ve done better than Anaheim, but it’s pointless to play the what-if game because the Yanks simply lost in the ALDS because they couldn’t hit for crap despite having some opportunities…

October 26th, 2006 | 5:28 pm

==========
      You too, eh?

Regarding the White Sox, they had a good team. Best record in the league. Best ERA in the AL. Angels weren’t that much worse (3.68 to 3.61)

There are some similarities between last year and this year; last year’s ALDS featured the league’s best offenses against the league’s best pitching. With the same results…

12. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 5:50 pm

Eh, I don’t know. I look at the numbers from the LDS and WS and I’m not impressed by the White Sox’s starters. (They killed the Angels, which started this swelling “White Sox pitching is dominant” idea.) Garcia pitched a good game in game four of the WS, and Garland was pretty good, but I think the pitcher who had the biggest effect on the WS was Brad Lidge. He really blew it for his team. He gave up a walk-off home run (to Podsednik!) and also gave up the winning run in game four (after Backe pitched his butt off).

October 27th, 2006 | 9:54 am

===================
      They did well during the regular season;

Mark Buehrle: 3.12
      Freddy Garcia: 3.87
      Jose Contreras: 3.61
      Jon Garland: 3.50

All threw 200+ innings, all had better than league average ERA.

Were they dominant? I can’t say that they were. Just a solid group of starters.

14. October 27th, 2006 | 6:13 pm

Hey, thanks for the shoutout.

And don’t worry, we know Bubba’s a free agent. I kinda figured he would be as soon as he was DFA’d. :-/

That collision in Game 5 last year was heartbreaking. But not Bubba’s fault. Sheff would not have gotten that ball. Slow it down, and you can see the ball bounce off Sheff’s wrist before he even makes contact with Bubba. While Bubba was set up underneath it. It would have been an easy catch for him.

Yes, Bubba should have called it, but it wouldn’t have done any good if he had. Everyone said it was so loud out there there was no way they could hear each other. Which is perhaps why neither of them bothered. (Damned thundersticks.)

Blame Sheff, for not checking to see where the CFer was. Blame Moose, for giving up that kind of hit to the #9 batter (not to mention a homer, a single, and a walk in the same inning). Blame Torre, for fooling around with the likes of Womack and Lawton (who wasn’t even an OFer!) and waiting until the end of the season to put Bubba in CF, giving Sheff no time to get used to his speed and aggressiveness. But don’t blame Bubba. He did everything you could expect a CFer to do.