• Lights, Camera, Larsen!

Posted by on October 26th, 2006 · Comments (8)

From the Sun Times -

[Doak] Ewing, of Naperville [Milwaukee] and president of the Naperville-based Rare Sports Films Inc., offered [Don] Larsen the chance to view the only existing TV broadcast of the [perfect] game [that Larsen threw in the '56 Series], beginning at the top of the second with one out.

The footage, a kinescope broadcast filmed for the U.S. Armed Forces and intended to be destroyed a week after viewing, hadn’t been seen in 50 years.

Ewing, 58, calls the footage a “freak” find he purchased through an Oregon film collector, who had bought the reels at a flea market in 1990.

Now, on the 50th anniversary of the milestone, Ewing has a mission. He hopes to make the footage available for private and public screenings for a yet undetermined fee.

However, his dream is to broadcast the game on network or cable TV.

Move over Roger Patterson and Abraham Zapruder, here comes Doak Ewing!

OK, jokes aside, it’s amazing that no other film of this game exists. No one, 50 years ago, thought to keep of copy of the footage? Wow.

Comments on Lights, Camera, Larsen!

October 26th, 2006 | 10:52 am

It’s not that amazing, when you think of it. I have been led to believe that a lot of old footage usually has been destroyed because they take up storage space. Or because film is handled improperly, they deteriorate.

I would love to see that game, and I hope the Museum of Television & Radio (MT&R) is looking into this.

Have you ever been, Steve?

2. October 26th, 2006 | 10:58 am

Queens, right? Never been – but would like to go.

3. MJ
      October 26th, 2006 | 11:06 am

I was there as a little kid when it used to be in midtown Manhattan. I haven’t been in ages, however.

I’d love to see the film since all I’ve ever seen is the last out when Yogi jumps up to hug Larsen after the last out.

October 26th, 2006 | 11:16 am

Queens, right? Never been – but would like to go.
      =======
      I think you may be confusing the MT&R with either MoMA or the Kaufman-Astoria Studios.

MT&R is located in Manhattan, on W. 52nd St, by Radio City Music Hall.

Lot of cool stuff there, old tv shows, news broadcasts, commercials, and the like. You can even show your children the programs you watched when you were their age, which I think is pretty cool in and of itself.

5. October 26th, 2006 | 11:33 am

Steve, I think you got it confused with the Museum of the Moving Image, which is actually in Queens and a great museum in itself… easy to make that mistake though, I make it all the time…

6. October 26th, 2006 | 11:39 am

That must be it. Thanks.

7. baileywalk
      October 26th, 2006 | 1:03 pm

This is what I hate. I got to a flea market or yard sale and find busted toasters and ugly place mats, and other people find original copies of the Constitution and film of Don Larsen’s perfect game. How could a collector have something like this and NOT know its value? It’s even more amazing that there isn’t footage to each and every World Series game.

8. BromoMichael
      October 29th, 2006 | 7:54 am

My family also has a ‘Zapruder’ film of Don Larsen’s Perfect Game — in color.

My father-in-law shot it on his 8 mm film camera while on his honeymoon in 1956. They got tickets to the game that day. It’s about 6 1/2 minutes of film from right field — includes the last out, Mickey Mantle’s famous catch, Duke Snider’s rolling catch, Billy Martin’s backpedaling catch where he almost collides with Hank Bauer, shots of two Yankee pitchers warming up in the bullpen, fans running on to the field after the game, as well as scenes from throughout the game including the missing first inning.

Story is in the Palm Beach Post: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/25/a1c_larsen_1025.html

Believe me when I say what Doak has is also very cool — saw the Duke Snider at-bat and really enjoyed it. Really think we both have something extremely rare and special.