• The Last Twenty?

Posted by on October 30th, 2006 · Comments (11)

I think most current Yankees fans expect to see uniform numbers 51, 42, 2, and 6 be retired for New York someday. And, a large subset of those fans would probably be O.K. with seeing # 21 retired as well. (Yeah, I know baseball retired # 42 already – but, I’m talking about in honor of Mo Rivera.)

But, what about # 20?

When he’s done in New York, there will probably be a strong case to be made that Jorge Posada was the 3rd greatest offensive catcher in Yankees history – behind Berra and Dickey and just ahead of Munson and Howard.

Berra, Dickey, Munson and Howard all have their numbers retired by the Yankees – albeit that Munson and Howard were special cases.

Does it not make sense that # 20 should be retired someday as well?

Comments on The Last Twenty?

1. jonm
      October 30th, 2006 | 12:26 pm

If statistics were the primary criterion for retiring uniform numbers, I guess #20 should be retired. I don’t think, however, that stats should be the primary criterion. I think that retiring uniform is something that is done for the team’s fans. The fans’ response to a player and the player’s overall popularity should, within reason, be the main reason for retiring a number. That’s why I have no problem with Billy and Reggie’s numbers being retired.

I don’t think that Jorge has quite made it there yet. We’ll have to see how the fans respond to him during the next few years of his career.

2. October 30th, 2006 | 12:47 pm

That’s the strange part for me on this one.

When I think “Jorge Posada” I don’t think “all-time Yankees great” and “should have his number retired.”

But, based on the stats, Jorge has a case.

3. brockdc
      October 30th, 2006 | 1:11 pm

Jorge Posada has been a hugely integral (and undervalued) part of the Yankees franchise. He was quite possibly their MVP this year, plays hard, and plays hurt. He absolutely deserves to have his #20 retired.

4. rbj
      October 30th, 2006 | 1:29 pm

Sure, why not. It makes more sense to me than retiring Billy Martin’s #1.

5. October 30th, 2006 | 1:56 pm

Jorge’s been maybe the most underappreciated member of the Dynasty. That said, I don’t think it’s enough to get #20 retired.

6. RICH
      October 30th, 2006 | 1:58 pm

I’ve been a fan too long. I still think of Clete Boyer (6) and Bucky Dent (20) when those numbers are mentioned.

7. October 30th, 2006 | 3:01 pm

I think Roy White and Horace Clarke.

8. October 30th, 2006 | 5:44 pm

I think the reason people dont necessarily feel that #20 is a ‘retirable’ number off the top of their heads is that Jorge is the most undervalued piece of the dynasty. He’s not a firy competitor like Paulie & Clemens. He’s not a pretty boy like Jeter & Arod. He’s not a slugger like Giambi & Sheff. His position is not as glamorous as CF or SS, and he’s a pretty quiet guy. He’s also been a 6+ hitter in the potent Yanks lineup.

But when his last year is up, he’ll start getting chants like Paulie and Bernie. I would have no problem retiring #20. He’s been the 2nd best catcher in baseball during his career, and an integral part of the Yanks for 8+ years now. He could also make a great manager one day. Will he be Donnie’s bench coach one day? I think it’s a good chance.

9. Joel
      October 30th, 2006 | 9:01 pm

Jorge’s numbers already stand up against Thurman’s and Dickey’s.

Yogi is another story. Yogi was ridiculous. From 1950-56 Yogi won 3 MVPs and finished no less than #4 in MVP voting during that seven season span.

However, with three more Posada-like seasons, Jorge will have what it takes (especially for a catcher) to have his #20 retired.

10. Yu Hsing Chen
      October 30th, 2006 | 9:12 pm

The only two catcher of his generation that can claim to have better careers than Jorge is Pudge and Piazza. both of them are hall of famers shoe in.

I think Jorge deserves it, wether or not he will get it is another story.

11. #15
      October 31st, 2006 | 10:46 pm

Late to the topic, but one near and dear to my heart. Jorge is on the cusp of Yankee immortality right now in my mind. Give me two or three more solid years and he’s got a spot in the new MP.