• Smells Like Teen Schilling

Posted by on October 31st, 2006 · Comments (10)

(Hat tip to YanksBlog.com for the tip to this site.)

Philip Hughes has launched his own website.

Shouldn’t he wait until he retires his first Triple-A batter before he starts sharing his “insight on my life” with us?

Comments on Smells Like Teen Schilling

1. brockdc
      October 31st, 2006 | 3:49 pm

Indeed. But in our celebrity-starved culture, inquiring minds want to know.

October 31st, 2006 | 4:31 pm

It could be that his AA fans would like to know more about him too. :)

3. Jason
      October 31st, 2006 | 4:50 pm

On another subject….let’s reflect on a game played 5 years ago today. One of the best World Series game ever played….ended by Jeter becoming Mr. November.

4. baileywalk
      October 31st, 2006 | 7:02 pm

Philip Hughes is the best right-handed pitching prospect in baseball.

Philip Hughes is the Yankees’ number-one prospect.

Philip Hughes — because of the above-mentioned things — is one of the most talked-about prospects in baseball.

With five MILLION Yankee blogs out there, shouldn’t it be okay for him to have a web site?

And Philip Hughes is also a twenty-year-old KID (yes, at my age — though I’m not yet 30 — he is a KID), and he likes going on-line (evidenced by message-board posting), so it makes perfect sense that he would have a web site.

5. JeremyM
      October 31st, 2006 | 8:38 pm

I don’t know, seems cool to me. There’s a million things a 20-year old with a huge contract could be doing that might concern me, and this certainly isn’t one of them. And I like that he’s so open about his autograph requesting policies. Very cool. However, someone needs to teach him ‘i’ before ‘e ‘except after ‘c.’ :)

6. October 31st, 2006 | 10:12 pm

It started because he was discovered posting at another message board.

A rather interesting thread, to say the least….it became an all day marathon of “how do we know it is REALLY you?” and various questions asked and answered.

oh, and we know it is really him because of various picture requests from the people in the thread. “take a picture holding up a sign with your user name.” “take a picture holding up a baseball card in one hand, and your Future’s Game Jersey in the other.”

Well, ok, it didn’t necessarily start because of that, but the day after that thread, the site was launched.

7. October 31st, 2006 | 11:12 pm

~~~Steve, maybe I’m wrong, but why do I get a hostile feeling from you toward this kid?~~~

I’m just a believer that prospects should be seen, and not heard, until they do something that takes them from the status of prospect to the status of big leaguer.

8. SteveB
      November 1st, 2006 | 12:02 pm

Well Steve, You haven’t retired any batters and you share your insights with us all the time. I see zero problem with this.

9. November 1st, 2006 | 1:39 pm

But, I’ve been watching Yankees games since 1973. Hughes wasn’t even born until 1986.

If he had over three decades of baseball-watching experience to pull on, I would probably be interested in hearing what he had to say.

November 1st, 2006 | 6:06 pm

=============
      Everyone has a story to tell. I see no problem with Hughes having a website. Obviously, there’s a demand for it.

Quite the arrogant stand you have there. You definately are “old school” :)