• Hub Hypocrites Extends Tentacles Into Japan

Posted by on November 14th, 2006 · Comments (8)

Yesterday, here, I shared this quote from Red Sox G.M. Theo Epstein, which he made last summer:

“We’re never going to sell ourselves out just to get that one guy because we have to take a long-term view given our resources relative to the Yankees.”

However, now, we have this fact from ESPN.com -

The Boston Red Sox emerged Tuesday night as winners of the bidding for Daisuke Matsuzaka with a $51.1 million offer and have 30 days to sign the Japanese pitcher to a contract.

“We have long admired Mr. Matsuzaka’s abilities and believe he would be a great fit with the Red Sox organization,” Boston general manager Theo Epstein said. “Clearly, we believe Mr. Matsuzaka is a real talent.”

This is a great day in Yankeeland. From this point forward, any bitching from John W. Henry, Larry Lucchino and/or Theo Epstein about the Yankees payroll carries the same legitimacy as Pam Anderson lamenting about Dolly Parton’s cleavage.

Comments on Hub Hypocrites Extends Tentacles Into Japan

1. JeremyM
      November 14th, 2006 | 11:19 pm

Unbelievable. I wonder if the rumor that the Yankees “let it slip” that they were bidding $50 million is true? It would kind of explain the .1 million I guess, if they thought the Yanks had bid $51 or so. Kind of like the people on Price is Right that bid $1001. Anyway, if that is the case, nice move as it appears the Sox overbid by $13 million over their nearest competitor.

Anyone else kind of dislike Theo? I don’t know, he just rubs me as “that guy”- the one that was always asking questions in college classes or meetings designed not so much to get an answer, but to show the rest of the class how smart he is. If that makes sense. But I suppose if he ran the Yanks I wouldn’t think that.

2. Josh
      November 15th, 2006 | 12:07 am

I don’t begrudge the Red Sox for making this move. Of course, spending $50 million + just to get rights to a guy, let alone one unproven in MLB, is ludicrous. But that’s what a terribly disappointing season will do to a club with grandoise expectations. And while this surely reveals Sox management to be the hypocrites that we already knew they were, they are far more innoculated from negative coverage b/c the press by and large loves them. This includes some of the NY Press (see, NY Times, The)

3. baileywalk
      November 15th, 2006 | 2:35 am

Unreal. It is absolutely UNREAL! The worst, most obscene profligacy in the history of sports — even worse than the A-Rod contract — and it’s been met by nothing but positivity. 51 million dollars! Nearly half their payroll — and just to TALK to him. They’re making a guy who has never thrown one pitch here a 100-million-dollar pitcher. And all anyone can say is “They have the money, it’s a smart deal, this makes all the sense in the world.” WHAT?! If the Yankees paid fifty million dollars for a Japanese pitcher the press would go berserk. Bud Selig would condemn us. Every jackhole opinion writer would say we were crippling baseball, that the disparity in money was disgusting, that we buy everything, etc.

But the Sox skate!

I’m frankly shocked by the reaction so far.

I’m happy the Sox are overpaying this guy, but I am not happy that they’re getting him. I think the Sox rotation is a mess (Schilling is old and oft-injured; Beckett was awful; Wakefield is inconsistent; and Papelbon is much better suited for the bullpen). But I don’t have a DOUBT that Matsuzaka will pitch well here. So as insane as it was to spend this much money, they DID just get themselves an ace.

The thing for Yankee fans to rest their heads on is that the Yankees have a very good pitcher waiting in the wings. His name is Philip Hughes, and he won’t cost 100 million dollars.

I think come September, Hughes is going to be the number two on this staff, behind Wang and ahead of Moose. And don’t be surprised if Clippard and/or Sanchez is on the staff too.

If not getting Matsuzaka means the Yanks push up the timetable for the kids, I’m all for it.

4. MJ
      November 15th, 2006 | 9:34 am

I figure I’m the only one here that thinks this but I really do think Matsuzaka is worth the money. Dominant starting pitching is worth its weight in gold and if he comes to the Red Sox and dominates AL hitters like I think he can, well, the BoSox have a pretty decent shot to overtake the AL East again.

As far as I’m concerned, money is money and people should only worry about cost when it’s spent on worthless pieces of crap like Tony Womack or Matt Clement. If the Red Sox win the World Series in 2007 or 2008 with Matsuzaka on the staff leading the way, every penny of it will have been worth it.

What hurts more is that now the Yanks are left to pick among the scraps of guys like Meche and Lilly with all the Moneyball guys saying stuff like “five starters with Lilly’s numbers will be the best staff in baseball” and patting themselves on the back that the Yanks got a “bargain” by paying career bums “only” $7M for 30 starts of mediocre results…

By no means am I conceding the division to the Red Sox. I have faith that Cash will do some good things and I like what the minors look like right now. But no one should feel like the Yankees are big winners here. Wang and Moose are the only two starters on the Yanks right now that can pitch in the AL East. RJ stinks and all the free agents out there look like dogs.

5. Exit9
      November 15th, 2006 | 10:17 am

What (I think) Cash learned the last two years is that with pitching, placing all your eggs in one basket – even what looks like a sure thing – is risky, so I think he’s going with youth and potential versus the spend and sign the ace mentality. I support this. The Sox spent last year to acquire Beckett – what a bust that was. The same this year, although Matz looks like the real deal, you can’t tell. Shmidt looks awfully canine in the AL East. I expect Cash to take a run at Zito. He’s the only non-dog in the group, and he’s still young, and he’s a horse, and although the Yanks have owned him, the Sox sure have not. Put him in the top three and briing in some young heat in the bottom three and we size up pretty well.

6. Chewbacca
      November 15th, 2006 | 10:55 am

Simply put,

If the Yankees paid this much money just to talk to a guy, it would be

“the Yankees just spent more to talk to this guy than the total of x number of teams’ payroll.”

Unfortunately, Peter Gammons will never speak the truth if it hurts the reputation of the Red Sox.

7. WebmistressEMC
      November 15th, 2006 | 5:51 pm

It looks like spin control in Yankeeland is approaching Force 5…. :)

8. November 15th, 2006 | 6:21 pm

Yes exit. Look what happened with Contreras, RJ, Pavano. The Yanks went hard after those guys but to no avail. Cash had enough of that.

I wouldn’t mind adding Zito. He NEVER misses a start, and he gives quality innings. I feel like his normal outing is 7 ip, 3 er. I’ll take that (at the right price).