• Randy Wolf

Posted by on November 14th, 2006 · Comments (6)

WasWatching.com reader “Wade_Taylor” asked me to chime in on Free Agent starting pitcher Randy Wolf…so…here goes…

Wolf is young – he’ll pitch as a 30-year old next season – and a lefty starter. That’s always a good starting combination in terms of being an attractive free agent.

From 2000 until the time he needed Tommy John surgery in 2005, Randy was, at the worst, a league average pitcher.

You have to throw out the stats from 2006 when looking at Wolf – because that was post-rehab. Basically, Wolf in 2007 is like Jon Lieber in 2004 – meaning that next season will be his first full season after a full rehab from the surgery.

If I had to peg Wolf somewhere in the world of current LH-starters out there, I would say that he’s not as good as Andy Pettitte but he’s ten times better than Mark Redman.

Still, knowing Randy Johnson’s age and health, as well as Carl Pavano’s “history,” I would take Wolf as the the Yankees third starter in 2007, if I had to choose now, over Unit and Pav-Dog.

Wolf and Ted Lilly are sort of the same deal, to me, at this junction.

If the contract was decent, I would not moan too loudly about the Yankees picking up either one of them this winter.

Comments on Randy Wolf

1. MJ
      November 14th, 2006 | 1:51 pm

2. jonm
      November 14th, 2006 | 1:54 pm

I agree with you and especially like having another left-handed starter to go with Johnson. If that’s the big move that the Yankees make this off-season, it strikes me as a rather dull off-season ahead. The Yankees need a 1B, though. What kind of contract do you think that Garciaparra is going to get?

3. November 14th, 2006 | 2:42 pm

Same as last year.

4. November 14th, 2006 | 2:43 pm

~~~Why does everyone want Ted Lilly on the Yanks? What is the fascination with him? 21-19, 4.46 ERA, 1.41 WHIP vs. AL East in his career. Does that sound really exciting to people?~~~

It’s more exciting than counting on Pavano, no?

5. baileywalk
      November 14th, 2006 | 3:52 pm

Randy Wolf is a career NLer with one good ERA year and average strikeout numbers (for an NL pitcher). He had two good years in 2002 and 2003 (didn’t give up a lot of hits, but walked too many). I guess he’s been hurt since then, but his numbers are pretty mediocre overall.

He might make sense as a cheap four/five, but he’s not a number three. I don’t want ANY of these free-agent pitchers, including Lilly, but since he put up similar numbers to Wolf in the much tougher AL, he’s a better bet.

6. Yu Hsing Chen
      November 14th, 2006 | 9:18 pm

Wolf also pitched in a bandbox his whole career though, so his numbers translation from the NL should be better.

I would be interested if the price is reasonable (say lower than Ted Lilly)