• Trade Bruney?

Posted by on November 14th, 2006 · Comments (10)

From Phil Rogers -

Baseball sources indicated the Yankees have been acquiring young arms to help them trade for proven pitching. Their roster already included two attractive young relievers, Scott Proctor and Brian Bruney.

I swear, it wasn’t me.

Bruney is an interesting chip to have, at this moment. In the right deal, I would allow him to go. But, it really has to be the right deal.

Comments on Trade Bruney?

1. RICH
      November 14th, 2006 | 10:00 am

Phil Rogers? Yuck. I give no credibility to Rogers.

I remember a few years ago when Selig was claiming baseball’s finances were down the tubes. Rogers and Pedro Gomez were granted an interview with Selig then reported the Tigers were going to file for bankruptcy protection in the middle of the season.

A trade of young arms might come true, and I wouldn’t mind it if it does happen under the right circumstances.

But I don’t value Phil Rogers’ writings

November 14th, 2006 | 10:31 am

RHP are a dime a dozen; Yanks currently have Proctor, Bruney & Britton. Beam’s wating in the wings. If the right deal comes along for Bruney, move him.

3. Joel
      November 14th, 2006 | 10:37 am

Outside of Johan Santana and Roy Halliday “proven pitching” is an oxymoron. How about the Yankees are collecting young arms that will pitch and win for the Yankees?

Sounds better to me.

4. rbj
      November 14th, 2006 | 10:56 am

I’ll trade Bruney and Proctor for Johan Santana. heck, throw in Pavano too.

5. Wade_Taylor
      November 14th, 2006 | 11:19 am

Steve -

Thanks for all the insight on the possible FA pitchers. Could you maybe do a write up on Randy Wolf? I only ask because there has been some buzz about the Yankees being interested in him the past few days and he is a guy I think most yankee fans know little about. BTW, the most recent mention of him possibly going to the Yanks was in the Philly papers today

6. November 14th, 2006 | 1:06 pm

Thanks, FWIW, I have been thinking about Wolf myself for the last week or two. I will get something on him soon.

7. baileywalk
      November 14th, 2006 | 1:14 pm

I’m sure this won’t go over well with the fans of this site, but I would trade Proctor before I would trade Bruney. If you think about it, it’s simple:

1) Bruney is five years younger;
      2) Bruney is more talented;
      3) Bruney has been consistently good enough to get a closer’s job with a major-league team; Proctor was considered a AAAA player until he had ONE good year at nearly 30 years old;
      4) Proctor has gone through a full season of Torre abuse and Bruney has not; Proctor is now much more likely (even with Bruney’s injury concerns) to get hurt.
      5) Proctor can’t close. Bruney can.

If we were up by one in the seventh inning and Torre had to turn to Bruney or Proctor with the heart of the opposing team’s lineup coming up, I would want Bruney out there.

If the Yankees can get someone for Proctor — I know the Braves wanted him this year — then they should do it.

8. DFLNJ
      November 14th, 2006 | 1:20 pm

Ah bailey, I’m not the only one, then?

I would only trade either one of them if, like SL said, it was the right deal. Just to guard against injuries or ineffectiveness, it’d be nice to have both of them as bullpen depth.

But if the right offer came around, then I’d trade Proctor before Bruney. And I say that as someone who really like Proctor.

9. DFLNJ
      November 14th, 2006 | 1:20 pm

Ah bailey, I’m not the only one, then?

But if the right offer came around, then I’d trade Proctor before Bruney. And I say that as someone who really likes Proctor.

November 14th, 2006 | 1:27 pm

Proctor’s value never has been (or probably will be) higher. If the Yanks can get something for him, by all means, do it.