• Mussina Signs

Posted by on November 15th, 2006 · Comments (7)

It sounds like a fair deal. I agree with the dollars – based on his track record and the market. Still, it would be nice if Mussina did not have to be the #1 or #2 man on the Yankees 2007 staff.

Comments on Mussina Signs

1. JeremyM
      November 15th, 2006 | 11:04 am

Mussina really could’ve received a lot more on the open market, in my opinion. More years and more dollars per year. This guy wants to be a Yankee and we should all be glad to have him back- I am.

2. jonm
      November 15th, 2006 | 12:47 pm

JeremyM is right about that. I like Mussina a little bit more today than I did yesterday. I bet that in this open market (a market in which teams are lusting after GIL MECHE, he would have made $28-30 million for two years.

3. Pete
      November 15th, 2006 | 12:52 pm

Exactly what I thought he should re-sign at. 9-10 million would have been ideal, but there’s no way Mussina would have taken that…

4. Jack Johnston
      November 15th, 2006 | 3:53 pm

There just arent that many “#1 or #2″ starters in baseball that every team could have the mythical #1 starter ( and afford to have 15 game winners in the top 4 in ERA,BB+H/9,H/9,BB/9,K/BB, and ERA+ and top 10 in Ks and K/9, etc- as a #3-4 starter on a staff).

Mussina has consistently been a top 10 pitcher in the league. How that would translate to being a #3 or lower, I dont see how. Not unless the team has multiple guys like Santana- and none do.
      BTW, he pitched better than the hyped Wang last year- unless you believe the total # of Ws is the only stat that counts. So at this point I would still say he is the #1 quality starter on the staff- THAT does bother me a little. Even when he was on the same staff with Clemens, Wells,Pettite,etc he was easily better than anyone else and just about equal to Clemens. But for years people have been saying he is old or a #3-4 starter.

In a league where 40+ year old scrubs are signing multi-year deals and 30-35 year old guys with career ERAs over 4 are being lusted after, I think the Yankees got a bargain. of course, time will tell. But I’m sure he could have gotten a 3 year deal wth more $$$ per year from any number of teams who would love him at #2.

5. Yu Hsing Chen
      November 15th, 2006 | 9:29 pm

The whole thought of domination is ridiculas IMHO, Johan Satana lost his start in the ALDS, Chris Carpenter was far from great , and the best pitcher this year in the playoff was? Kenny Rogers and Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver? is that a
      #1 pitcher then? in fact, with hindsight, who really was a #1 on the 05 White Sox staff, they were simply 5 average to above average pitchers that all had a great run.

Playoff is a crapshoot, all you could do is put out the best and the most consistent team out there and hope for the best, if the Yankees go into some crazy go for great playoff players they are enternally screwed.

With what the market is going for right now, I say the Yankees just try the Damon approach on Zito and try to knock him out of the market before people can react. it’s overpaying, but what is overpaying these days? if a scrub like Suppan or Meche or Lilly or Padillia is gonna go for 10M a year, I would more than willing to give Zito 15M a year then.

Having said that, it seems realistic now that the Yankees can eat some money and actually get something for Carl Pavano, if they get any semblelance of a useful player /prospect for him i would jump on it.

6. November 15th, 2006 | 10:13 pm

Great point Yu. The last 2 years, the WS winner hasn’t had any kind of a true ace. The closest is Carpenter. Besides him, it was a bunch of decent to good pitchers (and Jeff Weaver). It’s probably better to go for 4 good pitchers than 2 aces.

All you gotta do it make the playoffs. Luck pretty much takes over from there.

7. Dave Polands Gut
      November 16th, 2006 | 11:33 am

fair deal? u got a japanese guy whos never pitched and hes going to make 16 mill a yr. you got gil meche going to make 12 a yr. u got lilly going to make 11 a yr.

i think moose for 11 is a very good deal