• Some Not Digging The New Digs

Posted by on November 22nd, 2006 · Comments (16)

Neil deMause has posted an interesting feature on the new mess the Yankees have created in the South Bronx for residents. I have to wonder if these bad conditions will continue, or get worse, as the project moves forward – especially once 55,000 people and traffic are added to the mix on given days in-season.

The feature includes two pictures of the current constructions site for the new Stadium – Click on the pictures for a better view:

Comments on Some Not Digging The New Digs

November 22nd, 2006 | 10:54 am

Reminds me, I have to go and snap some more pics…

Hate to say this, but it’s going to get worse before it gets better

2. November 22nd, 2006 | 12:13 pm

Sweet shots.
      Thanks for the link!

3. baileywalk
      November 22nd, 2006 | 1:29 pm

I’m going to say something that might upset some people, but I don’t care. Here’s what I say to people who lives there: give me a break. The neighborhood around Yankee Stadium is a shithole. Let’s be honest. If Yankee Stadium wasn’t there, it would be even worse. The Stadium brings millions to the Bronx (where I lived for most of my life, by the way). This Stadium construction is providing many jobs and will bring in even more money in the future. What would that neighborhood be without the Yankees? They’re lucky the Yankees have STAYED in the Bronx when they could have moved to Manhattan (I’m sure it made financial sense).

So it sucks that their neighborhood is filled with dust right now, but they’re just going to have to live with it — as every community lives with a big construction project. To say the pros outweigh the cons is a vast understatement.

4. Garcia
      November 22nd, 2006 | 1:51 pm

I liked Brian Cashman’s comment in the comment section.

5. baileywalk
      November 22nd, 2006 | 2:00 pm

I wouldn’t give my left nut, but maybe a toe or a nipple or two, to be Brian Cashman. But I am not him.

I only moved out of the Bronx three years ago. I had lived there for 25 years. I was born there and grew up there.

And I’ll say whatever I want about it without apology.

The reality of the neighborhood is what it is.

The reality of what the Stadium brings to the area economically is what it is.

And the fact that every neighborhood — its condition not mattering in the least — complains before, during and after a major construction is also an inevitable reality, too.

November 22nd, 2006 | 2:16 pm

===============
      Those jobs are temporary. More likely than not the jobs aren’t going to area residents anyway so it really isn’t a point to bring up.

The $$ really isn’t an issue; we’re probably still paying off the renovations to the one currently standing. And it’ll be a long time before the city comes out ahead. That’s the way it is, that’s the way it usually goes.

They could move to Manhattan, I couldn’t care less (didn’t make financial sense to, anyway). The Bronx could manage without the Yankees, like Brooklyn managed without the Dodgers, like Harlem managed without the Giants.

November 22nd, 2006 | 2:20 pm

Sweet shots.
      Thanks for the link!
      ===========
      Thanks for the compliment :)

The plan was to snap pics as progress developed, but life and related matters got and keep getting in the way of things… lol

I’ll make my way over there sometime in the next couple of weeks to get an update. I live about 10 minutes away in Unionport (near the 6)

8. baileywalk
      November 22nd, 2006 | 4:25 pm

That really cracks me up, Raf. No, the Yankees provide NO economic benefits for the Bronx. I mean, it’s not like they bring 50,000 people (who would never step foot there otherwise) there a night. I’m sure all the shops and restaurants and bars would do just as well if Yankee Stadium was a gaping hole in the ground.

The idea that Manhattan didn’t make financial sense is absurd. People would much rather travel into New York City than the Bronx. You make a lot more money selling your product in Manhattan than you do the Bronx.

I don’t exactly think that the modern-day Yankees are a good comp for the Dodgers and Giants.

The Bronx is a lot bigger than that area and it could survive without the Yankees (obviously). But trust me, no business owner in that area wants to see them go. Nor are any complaining about the construction.

November 22nd, 2006 | 5:07 pm

I never said they didn’t bring any eonomic benefits, but as usually happens with these things, they’re overstated.

If there were no Yankee Stadium in that location, there’d be something else in it’s place; shopping, housing, parkland, whatever. Making $$ 365 days a year instead of 81 + whatever postseason games are played. Don’t forget that the large attendance (3-4M+) is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Manhattan didn’t make any sense, financially or logically. Remember they were talking about a billion dollar pricetag on the stadium. And that doesn’t even begin to address how you get people in and out of the west side of Manhattan.

You’re right; it would be better to leave the Giants out of the comparision; they were struggling with attendance at the time. Otherwise it’s a valid comparision. The only difference between now and then is that the dollars are bigger.

10. #15
      November 22nd, 2006 | 5:13 pm

All the people that work in the stores, bars and restaurants around Yankee Stadium must live in Greenwich, Conn. All the people that work the parking lots for 81 games (plus the playoffs, thank you), the ticket takers, trash collectors, ushers, security guards, peanut hawkers, and hot dog vendors must all swoop in from the New Jersey suburbs, work the game, and then take the limo home. If the construction and peripheral jobs aren’t being done by folks from the Bronx, it’s because they don’t have a trade, aren’t in a union, or don’t want to work.

Bailey has it about right. The problem is the city and locals don’t do their share to make it an attractive place to visit. I still go every chance I get, and always will. Always hoped they’d wall off a large area, call it Yankee Town, USA, build hotels, etc… Make it a place worth spending 2 or 3 days at a time. Is there even a decent hotel anywhere in the Bronx? Unfortunately, the city isn’t run as well as the Yankees and they don’t see what good, and profitable (for the city’s sake) citizens the Yankees have been.

November 22nd, 2006 | 5:39 pm

=========
      And what do you do with “Yankee Town USA” after the season’s over?

Where do you put this area? You’re in a residential/industrial zone. A densely populated one at that. Space is at a premium here, you know that :)

As a tourist, you’re going to go for the glitz & glamour of Manhattan. That’s what out of towners associate with NYC.

Hotels, there are more attractive options than the Bronx. One of the things that I was a bit disappointed with was that with the rebirth of times square, that it would extend up north and to the rest of the city, but it doesn’t seem to have developed as I thought it would. I guess the impending cleanup of Mott Haven & Port Morris (and Barretto Point Park… WOW!) means something, but like everything else we’ll have to wait and see.

Not that there aren’t things to do; off the top of my head, there’s shopping on Fordham Rd, the Bronx Zoo, the Botanical Garden, and Little Italy. But those things pale in comparision (reputation?) to Manhattan.

As for decent lodging, I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but I believe Howard Johnsons took over the old Alps Hotel on Tremont Ave. Given what I remember of the Alps from back in the day, I’d probably stay away. But I hope HJ does a better job of running it. The Bronx could really use it.

12. #15
      November 23rd, 2006 | 12:10 am

That abandoned wholesale vegetable market a few blocks south of the stadium is certainly generating a great deal of revenue and jobs. What do the stores that sell Yankee gear on 161st do the other 6 months of the year? Put in an IMAX, maybe a water park, a Yankee Hall of Fame, an Old Timer’s Pub where former Yankees are prone (with a little incentive) to hang out and sign autographs, move in the YES studio and create some shows with an audience, consolidate the memorabilia stores, hold a few card/signing shows in the off season at the hotel, hold a college baseball invitational tournament during the last week of March, maybe a Rookies invitational set in October (the weather may not be ideal, but we are talking about Yankee Freaking Stadium – they’ll come), add in a nice sports bar and the obligatory Hooters and watch the cash roll in. Give me ten more minutes and I’ll give you ten more ideas. I think you made my point for me on the existing hotel situation.

13. #15
      November 23rd, 2006 | 12:12 am

Once last thing… Happy Thanksgiving to all.

14. rmd0311
      November 23rd, 2006 | 10:29 am

I lived in the AREA for over 5 years. My father still lives in the area. My sister just bought a condo right on 161st and Grand Concourse. I moved out a few years ago to Dutchess county.

THE PLACE IS A SHIT HOLE and its slowly coming up. Not beacuse of the people but because of the stadium. Without the stadium the area would not be any better than the worst place you could think of in the Bronx. I can say this and not apologize because I was born and grew up in the bronx. Went to school in the Bronx and started to raise my family in the Bronx.

The Yankees give Highbridge an edge, even if just for 81 days a year.

My father lives there and is happy the stadium is coming and so is my sister. A little dust and chaos in the summers is nothing in comparison to the trade off.

November 23rd, 2006 | 11:39 am

=============
      No, it’s pretty much because of the people, and development in the area. NYPD keeping things in check can’t be understated either.

The Bronx has always had the reputation, and it gets in the way sometimes, but the construction & development that has been going on for, say the last 10 years (I know it has been longer, I’m just saying) has had more of an impact on the Bronx than Yankee Stadium has and ever will.

FWIW, since everyone seems to bring it up, I was born & raised in the Bronx too. At the old Lincoln Hospital, the one that is currently an impound lot for NYPD Traffic

16. tmcm650
      November 24th, 2006 | 8:18 pm

I guess I don’t get the whole premise…they’re building a new stadium that’ll seat 50k people, and it was decided months ago. Did anyone really think that it wouldn’t be a huge mess while it was being built? Or is this just some delayed rant about how the Yanks really shouldn’t be there at all?