• A-Rod Ditches Yogi

Posted by on November 26th, 2006 · Comments (23)

I just heard about this story – which I think broke about three days ago.

From Harvey Araton -

On Nov. 15, after attending his own charity poker tournament in Manhattan, he (A-Rod] canceled on a major fundraiser the next night at the Yogi Berra Museum in Little Falls, N.J. According to a person in the Rodriguez camp who spoke on condition of anonymity, A-Rod’s mother, Lourdes, had suddenly been hospitalized — certainly a legitimate excuse and far better than the reason David Wright’s people gave for him not showing. (Wright had been inadvertently double-booked that night.)

But Wright is a Met, A-Rod a Yankee, and because he has a history around town of blowing off events (including one of Torre’s last year), because the call to the museum to cancel was made not by Rodriguez but by one of his employees, because there was an A-Rod sighting Nov. 17 at courtside of the Knicks-Heat game in Miami, the museum people and the Berra family and even the Yankees’ president, Randy Levine, were said to be in a snit, with the impression that A-Rod too often gives: He just doesn’t get it.

The timeline here:

A-rod goes to his own party in NYC on November 14th.

Then, on November 16th, he was scheduled to be part of this event, at the Yogi Berra Museum:

A Night at the Hot Corner

Museum’s annual fundraising gala dinner and panel discussion paying tribute to baseball’s best third basemen. Special guests are Hall of Famers George Brett, Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt, and standouts Graig Nettles, Alex Rodriguez and David Wright. Moderator is Michael Kay. 6 – 9 p.m.

But, he did not make it – reportedly because of a family emergency.

However, the very next day, on the evening of November 17th, Alex and Johnny Damon are seen attending an NBA game in Miami between the Knicks and the Heat.

This reminds me of a scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail -

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she’s a witch?
    Peasant: Well, she turned me into a newt!
    Sir Bedevere: A newt?
    Peasant: [meekly after a long pause] … I got better.

I suppose that’s what happened here. Whatever emergency A-Rod had that caused him to pass on going to Yogi’s event got better – just in time to go to the game with Damon.

Sure, that must have been what happened. Right?

Comments on A-Rod Ditches Yogi

1. BPIB
      November 26th, 2006 | 10:05 am

Still taking A-rod’s temperature no dobut. Should rename this blog washating.com

2. November 26th, 2006 | 10:31 am

“Let he among us without sin, be the first to condemn.”

What is the point of judging Arod? I like how you think the story “broke” three days ago, as if it were some huge political scandal.

3. redbug
      November 26th, 2006 | 11:51 am

Hopefully this means ARod wants out as much as I want him out.

4. November 26th, 2006 | 12:35 pm

OK, the 2nd highest profile among the active players on the Yankees disses the highest profile of retired Yankees greats, and that’s not a “breaking” story worth sharing?

Pointing out this incident is “hating”?

Yeah, I’m messed up, I guess.

5. jonm
      November 26th, 2006 | 1:12 pm

I think that this is worthy of posting. In isolation, it wuould not be a big deal, but, given the way that ARod’s reputation suffered this year, he should have made his best effort to show up. (Or, at the very least, he should have not showed up in public and thus undermined his excuse.) This may be an example of the kind of self-absorption that seems to cause problems with his teammates.

On another ARod note, Buster Olney (who I don’t find very reliable) insists that ARod will opt out of his contract next year. If this is true, it changes my calculus regarding an ARod trade. If he is going to opt out, they really should try to get maximal value for him in a trade this off-season.

6. November 26th, 2006 | 1:55 pm

do you have a link for the Olney thing?

7. baileywalk
      November 26th, 2006 | 2:25 pm

If A-Rod opts out of his contract, thus not allowing the Yankees to get something for him in a trade now (since they’re “sticking by” him at the moment), he will be one of the most hated ballplayers in New York history.

A-Rod would be crazy to opt out, though. He would be admitting failure. Apparently something he’s very scared of (image-wise).

If he really wanted to leave, it would make more sense to work something out with the Yanks where they trade him and it looks like they’re getting rid of him and not that he’s fleeing.

8. Zack
      November 26th, 2006 | 3:25 pm

I somehow fail to see how this is newsworthy. David Wright was “double booked?” No mention of what his other “booking” was, that is more important than this? But yet A-Rod, who has a legit excuse, gets the flak. Sure, his mom may not have been sick, but who are you to even insinuate that she wasn’t? I’m sure you would be damn offended if the same accusations were made at you? If you are that interested in finding dirt on A-Rod, which we know you are, why not go do some legwork and look up if his mom really was in the hospital. If she wasn’t, then fine, he blew it off, but until you know better, I find it pretty insulting and, for that matter, pretty convincing of your feelings on A-Rod.

And for that matter, why shouldn’t one of his employees, thats what they are there for, no? If he is busy tending to his mom, I hardly think the first thing on his mind is, “oh I better personally call to cancel.”

9. November 26th, 2006 | 4:07 pm

How about this?

What if Manny Ramirez stood up a Johnny Pesky function, after he said he would be there and people bought tickets, expecting to see him – with Manny being a last minute no-show because of an ‘emergency’? And, then, the next night, Manny and Enrique Wilson are spotted hanging out at a Patriots game against the Jets.

What would many Red Sox fans say?

“Oh, that’s just ‘Manny being Manny.’”

And, what would Yankees fans say?

“Typical selfish head-case Manny.”

So, is this any different?

For those who see no issue here, you’re saying “Just A-Rod being Manny, er, I mean A-Rod.”

For me, I have to say “Typical selfish head-case A-Rod” – to be fair and consistent, only because that’s what I would say about Manny.

10. jonm
      November 26th, 2006 | 4:54 pm

Sorry, Travis, I don’t have a link. I heard him say it on two separate interviews though. One with Mike and the Mad Dog and one on XM radio.

Like I said, I don’t trust Olney completely and sometimes I find him insuferably smug, but Boras having Drew opt out, in addition to the crazy contracts given so far this offseason, has me worried. I agree with baileywalk about ARod becoming one of the most hated in New York history though.

11. November 26th, 2006 | 6:06 pm

What hit me most is the myth of Arod ‘desperately wanting to be liked’ is officially dead. After millions of eyes and ears have been fed this line, his actions now show it couldn’t possibly be true. Not only did he fail to show up at a major function after he’d very publicly been in town the night before, the article says he has a history of blowing off events, and did so with one of Joe Torre’s last year. Anyone who ‘desperately wanted to be liked’ and accepted would move heaven and earth to show up at events he’d been booked for. The truth is now out for all to see. Whatever his problem, it’s not an overwhelming need to be liked.

November 26th, 2006 | 9:04 pm

Not that it’s a big deal, but since this is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand account, I’m not going to read too much into it…

13. Seamus
      November 26th, 2006 | 10:05 pm

are you serious with this post? What, you’ve never had a family emergency that resolved itself quick enough to be at something the following night? heck, i’ve had emergencies that forced me to miss one thing, but make another ON THE SAME DAY! Talk about ridiculous speculation…

14. ieddyi
      November 27th, 2006 | 8:38 am

I used to enjoy coming to this site for the often unique perspective- backed by stats- of the Yanks

The backbiting of 2 very productive players- Moose and Arod- really lowers the standard.

Going from fact based insight to irrational hatred is a serious loss of credibility

15. Garcia
      November 27th, 2006 | 9:25 am

I have to come to Steve’s defense here, anytime Steve talks about ARod it sparks a debate that’s proportional to the intelligent design vs evolution debate. I feel the people that defend ARod blindly are like the intelligent design folks.

Any criticism about ARod that comes out is probably something that ARod could have done something about. Bottom line is that ARod is walking on eggshells, absolutely anything he does will (potentially) come back to haunt him.

16. November 27th, 2006 | 9:46 am

Thanks

I realize that whenever I say anything that’s less than 100%-fan-boy-gush about someone’s fav-player (or players) that I’m going to hear it from them. Comes with the territory of trying to look at things without “Yankees Blinders” on.

I wrote about this back in May -

17. SteveB
      November 27th, 2006 | 11:45 am

Steve, you are being slightly disingenuous. You didn’t merely “point out” the story. You editorialized “oh it just got better, riiighht.”

Your sarcasm indicates you believe that Alex lied about the reason he didn’t go to Yogi’s thing. So it was more than reporting the news. You added you opinion.

I get that you don’t like A-Rod and that’s fine. But I think you also feign a non-existent objectivity about him.

Just my $.02

18. November 27th, 2006 | 12:26 pm

****************
      I would have to agree with this statement, though I won’t crucify Steve for writing the post…

It definitely could have happened and I’m inclined to believe that it DID happen… it has happened to me a few times: my grandfather feeling crappy not to take me anywhere, and then, the next day, he feels remarkably better…

Same issues happen with my grandmother… she faints one day, she feels better the next day afterwards… a woman of old age fainting can definitely be viewed as a family emergency… heck, I got REALLY worried when it happened, but in the same way, the human body can recover quite quickly… and she was fine the next day…

Family emergencies can range between one day to a long period of time, don’t judge Alex for that, at least… :-)

19. Paul
      November 27th, 2006 | 12:41 pm

So mighty nice of some of you to not allow Steve to have an editorial opinion, because really it is not his blog, but it is as all blogs should be, MUST be, a vehicle of obsequious ARod worship.

Praise ARod. He can do no wrong. The best player who ever played the game.

Praise ARod.

PS. Has ARod been traded yet?

20. Garcia
      November 27th, 2006 | 1:24 pm

Paul, ARod was just traded to the New York football Giants for Plaxico Burress. A change of scenery and a new sport should help both.

21. November 27th, 2006 | 1:42 pm

Does Plaxico need Jeter’s love to make the switch?

22. Paul
      November 27th, 2006 | 2:22 pm

They are having a conjugal moment as we speak.

23. SteveB
      November 27th, 2006 | 3:50 pm

For the record, I never said Steve wasn’t allowed to have an opinion. Read what I wrote.