• Who Needs Sleep?

Posted by on November 30th, 2006 · Comments (15)

From the Fort Worth Star Telegram -

According to a story in GQ magazine, LeBron James and New England quarterback Tom Brady were “fleeced” during a card game at rap mogul Jay-Z’s 40/40 club in New York. So who lost more? “It wasn’t me,” James said. James said Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has also joined the high-stakes table.

I just want to know how Alex gets up at 6 am every morning to run stairs after all these parties and other sightings. I get up at 5:30 AM on weekdays and 6:30ish on weekend mornings and have a hard time staying awake past 11 PM most nights. I must be doing something wrong.

Comments on Who Needs Sleep?

1. rbj
      November 30th, 2006 | 10:39 am

SI had an article way back on Herschel Walker. Apparently he only needed 4 hours of sleep a night. There are people like that. Bastards.

November 30th, 2006 | 10:49 am

It comes down to discipline/conditioning. I have/had friends in the service that maintained a similar schedule.

Of course you have two young kids and I’m sure that takes a lot out of you :)

3. #15
      November 30th, 2006 | 10:50 am

Only world class athletes are capable of such feats (see Mantle, Mickey). A-Rod is, on his sports psychologists’ advice I’m sure, just blowing off a little steam, just practicing being one of the boys. As long as he’s not getting plastered or flipping his WS rings (zing) into the pot, have fun big guy. It’s not something I’d do with my hard earned cash (as opposed to the much more preferable vice of swapping spit with Jessica Biel). Mantle hits 625-650 career homers if he takes care of himself, avoids Billy Martin, and learns to drink in moderation. A-Rod doesn’t seem to have those pathologies. At least he’s doing this during his off season, unlike Brady and James.

4. jamesonandwater
      November 30th, 2006 | 11:42 am

If your boss was paying you $20mill+ per annum you’d probably find the energy right quick!

(Plus having “people” to do your housework, gardening, driving, etc must help).

5. November 30th, 2006 | 11:55 am

That’s an excellent point.

6. MJ
      November 30th, 2006 | 12:09 pm

I think the forgotten element in all this is that after his workout, he’s got the rest of the day to nap while the rest of us are at work or on the commute home. He probably sleeps from 2-8, goes out to party from 9-3, showers, has a cup of juice, works out from 6-12, has lunch and then starts it all up again.

It’s the commute that kills working stiffs like us…

7. MJ
      November 30th, 2006 | 12:12 pm

PS – I wonder how good a poker player ARod is. On the one hand, he rarely, if ever, shows his true emotions (good for poker). On the other, he doesn’t seem to rise to the big occasion all that often. I wonder if he’s got a pulsating jugular when he’s holding A-A or bluffing with 2-7 offsuit. Honestly, I’d love to play poker with him.

8. November 30th, 2006 | 12:41 pm

~~~It’s the commute that kills working stiffs like us…~~~

Took me 105 minutes to drive 45 miles this AM, so, I hear you on that.

(I usually takes around 70 minutes, most days. Today was a bad one.)

9. rmd0311
      November 30th, 2006 | 1:57 pm

In his defense, when I was in the Military I was very used to sleeping at the most 4 Hours a day and at times not all at the same time.

It’s mainly condition and getting used to it. You could not ask me to do that now.

And yeah., My commute is like 75 minutes each way. Price of living in the burbs and working in the city.

10. baileywalk
      November 30th, 2006 | 3:19 pm

Back in my younger days, sometimes I wouldn’t sleep at all. And sometimes three or four hours and a sugar boost would be enough to get me through the workday (and when I got home I would fall into the deepest sleep imaginable; it was like a step above a coma).

But I have another theory about our boy A-Rod.

Even A-Rod takes a day off.

When he parties, the next day he probably doesn’t wake up at six and train.

Maybe he starts later. Or takes the day off. Or only does weights in the afternoon. Or whatever.

Just because A-Rod said he busts his butt every morning doesn’t mean he busts his butt EVERY morning.

11. adam
      November 30th, 2006 | 5:55 pm

he must take greenies.

12. Paul
      November 30th, 2006 | 6:13 pm

Steve, you could do it too if you were smarter and better looking than everyone else on the team.

13. December 1st, 2006 | 8:27 am

ROTFLMAO Paul!

14. rbj
      December 1st, 2006 | 9:30 am

“Steve, you could do it too if you were smarter and better looking than everyone else on the team”

I thought he was. At least, that’s what his mom keeps saying.

15. SteveB
      December 4th, 2006 | 8:20 pm

Dude. Your anti boner for A-rod is ridiculous.