• Sox Matsuzaka Talks Stall

Posted by on December 10th, 2006 · Comments (14)

From the Boston Herald -

Negotiations between the Red Sox [team stats] and Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka have essentially broken down, a source familiar with the talks said late last night, adding that unless there is an abrupt change of course, Matsuzaka will not be signing with the Red Sox before Thursday’s midnight deadline.

Attempts to reach Matsuzaka’s agent, Scott Boras, were unsuccessful last night. However, the well-placed source blamed Boras for stubbornly being unable to get over the flaws in the Japanese posting system, saying that he has been unwilling to negotiate and that he has acted disinterested in even making a deal.

When I see this report, three things come to mind.

1. Is this just the usual before-the-deadline bluff/stall/chicken game that occurs…or…

2. Maybe the Sox did just want to block the Yankees on D-Mat, after all, or, perhaps maybe Boras is trying to break the posting system here – and he will have Matsuzaka sign with a team like the St. Paul Saints for 2007 and then be a true Free Agent in 2008…and, perhaps…

3. If the Red Sox do not sign D-Mat, then that opens the door for Clemens to return to Boston. (Maybe even as a closer?)

That last item makes me wonder. Many Yankees fans are upset with Clemens for his “retirement” scam of 2003. Still, some Yankees fans were O.K. with Roger’s return to baseball, so quick, after the 2003 World Series. In any event, I wonder how Rocket’s Yankees legacy will be different if he were to sign with the Boston Red Sox for 2007? I think the move to Boston changed the Yankees legacy of David Cone – and David Wells, somewhat, as well. Would Clemens get any different treatment?

Comments on Sox Matsuzaka Talks Stall

1. Jules Winnfield
      December 10th, 2006 | 1:58 pm

If the Rocket were to do this, I would completely dissown him for anything he has ever done for the Yankees. All that crap and film about him wiping the sweat from the Babe… give me a break Roger.

2. Paul
      December 10th, 2006 | 3:24 pm

For their manipulating and trying to subvert the posting system, for tampering with Drew, and for other heavy handed tactics such as driving out the mom and pop businesses around Fenway so they could get more revenue, Red Sox executives should be sent to a Turkish prison, shackled together naked, and forced to watch “The View” each day for 16 hours.

3. rufuswashere
      December 10th, 2006 | 3:48 pm

I would be shocked if the D-Mat deal didn’t go through. In other words, choice #1 of your scenarios is by far the most likely.

4. adam
      December 10th, 2006 | 4:20 pm

no way clemens wants to pitch against his boyfriend.

5. JeremyM
      December 10th, 2006 | 4:21 pm

First off, where is this Roger Clemens as closer stuff coming from? I keep seeing it pop up. I don’t see why you’d want to take a guy from the role that he’s been better at than anyone who ever lived (arguably).

The deal will get done. I hope it doesn’t, but it just seems to me that there is too much riding on it to not get done. Unless it really was to block the Yankees, which I find highly unlikely.

6. baileywalk
      December 10th, 2006 | 4:31 pm

Clemens as a closer is fan-boy absurdity. Not happening. It makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, Clemens is only coming back for a pro-rated 22 million dollars. They’re not paying a closer that much. He’s also so valuable as a starter that it would be insane.

I had no problem when Clemens signed with the Astros. He was home, with his wife and kids, and he got special treatment. In that first year, he gave them a hometown discount.

If he wants to go back to the Sox, so be it. It is his original team and Yankee fans don’t have the right to tell him he can’t come full circle in his career.

If he goes back, I’ll hope he fails (because the Red Sox are in the Yankees’ division), but I won’t “forget” about all the good he did for the Yanks or the titles they won.

I’m not sure WHY Clemens would want to go back there considering the way the fans treated him on his return, but it’s his life and his decision and I liked Clemens too much while he was here to ever hate the guy.

7. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 10th, 2006 | 4:35 pm

# 1 is what’s happening. There is no doubt that Boras will cave and meet every demand that the Red Sox throw his way. If the Sox ask Boras to take 3 million a year, Boras will giddyup!!!!

I dont really believe that last part, but I have to accept it before it happpens so I am not so furious when it does.

8. December 10th, 2006 | 5:32 pm

I disagree Donnie. I think it will get done too, but I think it will be the Red Sox that cave and pay him 3 years at 12 million. Boras isn’t going to budge on the money, but he can play chicken with the best of them, and he’ll get the Red Sox to take a short term deal in order to avoid sending Matsuzaka back to Japan. It opens the door to free agency again in the near future, the Red Sox get their man, and Daisuke gets to try out the Majors.

If things do break down, look for the Sox to trade his rights to the Mets or Texas…whoever loses out on Zito. That’s what Boras really wants anyway.

9. JohnnyC
      December 10th, 2006 | 8:34 pm

They can’t trade his rights. They don’t own the rights to his services. The only thing they own is the permission to negotiate with a player who is nominally under contract to the Seibu Lions.

10. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 10th, 2006 | 8:52 pm

12 million a year for *one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball* at 26 or 27 years old would be Boras caving. With everything that is said about this guy, and in this market, he is worth far more than 12 million a year.

December 10th, 2006 | 9:26 pm

==========
      They treated him fine as a Blue Jay. Standing ovation, IIRC. Not so much upon his return as a Yank, for obvious reasons.

But if/when he signs with the Sox, it’ll be business as usual. They’ll hate him until he starts striking people out.

December 10th, 2006 | 9:28 pm

===============
      How so?

13. DiamondDave
      December 11th, 2006 | 10:38 pm

I think Boras has to much to lose not to sign as long as the Sox make a respectable offer. By respectable I mean 10 mil a year. If he doesn’t sign and DMAT blows out his arm Boras gets ZERO. If the Sox come in with a bad offer he could always cry to Selig. That’s when it would get interesting. Would Selig then grant the 2nd highest bidder rights to speak to DMAT? Should be a interesting Thursday.

14. Andrews
      December 12th, 2006 | 10:29 am

” Would Selig then grant the 2nd highest bidder rights to speak to DMAT? ”
      Is this a possibility?