• Cardinal Carl?

Posted by on December 11th, 2006 · Comments (7)

From Jim B at Newsday -

The Cardinals have asked to view Carl Pavano’s expansive medical records, according to a report in yesterday’s St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a sign that the Yankees might be able to get out from under that albatross of a contract.

The Rockies previously expressed interest in the righthander, but talks broke down because they wanted the Yankees to eat most of the $22.95 million left in the final two years of his four-year, $39.95-million deal, a person familiar with the talks said.

Finances figure to be an obstacle in potential talks with the Cardinals, making it far more likely that Pavano will have to prove his health by pitching regularly during spring training to increase his trade value.

Just watch, Dave Duncan will get him to win the 2007 N.L. Cy Young now….

Comments on Cardinal Carl?

1. baileywalk
      December 11th, 2006 | 11:32 am

Remember when sports writers were some of the best in the business? Anyone? Anyone?

22 million dollars over two years in now an albatross? Give me a break. Even with all his injury woes, Pavano is a still a bargain to teams (especially since they all think it’s New York’s fault). Adam Eaton and Gil Meche got huge contracts. A.J. Burnett got a huge contract. Health apparently is not that big of a deal with teams.

I don’t think Pavano needs Dave Duncan to “turn him around,” because I don’t think Pavano was ever a “bad” pitcher here — he just got hurt all the time. Since I still don’t believe that Pavano didn’t want to pitch this year — which is backed up by a bone chip and a car accident — I think if Pavano can find a way to stay healthy he can probably be the best fourth starter in the AL (which sounds kind of loopy, but is true). A rotation of Wang, Moose, Pettitte, Pavano, Johnson/Igawa/Hughes can win you a World Series. And looks better to me than what the Blue Jays and Sox are throwing out there, if the Sox sign Mats or not.

2. Jason O.
      December 11th, 2006 | 11:38 am

The Yankees should upgrade their FTP site or buy some detached hard drives to fulfill this request…A file the size of Pavano’s medical records must be at least 100-125MB…

3. December 11th, 2006 | 11:54 am

LOL Jason!

December 11th, 2006 | 12:07 pm

===============
      That’s been the story for most of his career.

5. baileywalk
      December 11th, 2006 | 12:21 pm

20 million is not an insignificant number, but I would rather the Yankees bring Carl to spring training and see if he can pitch before they give him away in a salary dump.

They should probably monitor his rehab in Arizona. If this guy is really busting his ass out there like the reports say, they should keep him around. The article with his trainer said that one of Carl’s legs was an inch shorter than the other, which wrecked havoc on his back. Through some sort of program, they’ve fixed the problem.

Obviously his one-inch-shorter leg didn’t cause a bone chip or a car accident, but maybe this will help him.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m a crazy optimist or because Carl is a big Italian kid from the east coast (and looks conspicuously like so many friends I had growing up), but I DO NOT want to give up on this guy.

I grew to dislike him during this year — with one false start after another — but I really hope he gets that one last chance.

Also, if they can get half a healthy, effective year out of him, he would land the Yankees a nice package in return midyear.

I know, a big “if.”

Off-topic, but apparently the Angels were about to open up the prospect vault for Todd Helton AND pay 50 million of the remaining 90 on his contract. Which means we probably could have offloaded A-Rod to them for three top prospects.

Oh, well…

6. MJ
      December 11th, 2006 | 12:45 pm

What I find curious about this report is why the Angels have proceeded so cautiously with their prospects, turning down several deals over the past few years, and now would entertain the idea of trading them and picking up the contract of a good but aging former all-star. They could’ve had ARod, Tejada or Manny at this point. Why would they pick Helton over those three?

7. Paul
      December 11th, 2006 | 5:10 pm

MJ, maybe because Helton is not a mental case?

As for Pavano busting his ass in Arizona, isn’t that one of the damaged body parts that put him on the disabled list last season?