• Mike Gonzalez

Posted by on December 12th, 2006 · Comments (6)

George Kings reports that the Yankees and Red Sox both lust for the Pirates Mike Gonzalez.

The Yanks should have listened to me back in June of 2005 – they may have gotten him cheaper back then.

Comments on Mike Gonzalez

1. tmcm650
      December 12th, 2006 | 10:59 am

How does Gonzalez project as an AL East reliever? Would his Yanks’ role be to supplant Farnsworth as the last element in the bridge to Mo? I guess what I don’t understand is how it makes sense to trade Proctor (whose value to Torre is obviously very high) for someone who would simply be taking his place, albeit from the other side. Adding Melky to the cost just seems to make even less sense to me, so obviously there’re pieces I’m missing or maybe King’s info is exaggerated.

2. baileywalk
      December 12th, 2006 | 12:28 pm

It makes all the sense in the world. Proctor is a generic righty power arm whose main benefit (for the Yankees) is that he throws a lot of innings.

Gonzalez, on the other hand, is a lefty power arm who has closer stuff. That’s the most important difference between Proctor and Gonzalez: Gonzo can close and Proctor cannot (and for anyone who’s going to say “he can,” well, the results don’t back that up).

If the Yankees had Gonzalez, they would essentially have four closers in the bullpen — Mo, Gonzo, Farnsworth, and Bruney.

Plus Gonzo could be a post-Mo closer candidate if guys like Melancon, Robertson, Cox or whoever are not ready when Mo retires.

Throwing Melky in does make it a steep price to pay, though.

3. RICH
      December 12th, 2006 | 12:33 pm

I’d be concerned about his health. The Pirates shut him down for the entire month of September.

4. tmcm650
      December 12th, 2006 | 2:32 pm

Bailey…I understand he closed in Pittsburgh, but that’s why I asked how that translates in the AL East. Past AL experience seems to show pretty clearly that a pitcher’s ability in the NL rarely translates to equal ability in the AL. Pitching for the Yanks obviously reduces the top level AL teams he’d face, but does that mean it’s safe to say that he’d be better than Proctor? I’m not sure that I’d agree that the Yanks (or at least Torre) necessarily view Proctor as a generic righty power arm, given the other righty power arms that he tried to use but never developed any real trust in. How much does Torre’s trust in & reliance on Proctor affect the Yanks’ perception of his value, and is their perception that MG’s performance as a left-handed P’burgh reliever makes his value higher?

5. baileywalk
      December 12th, 2006 | 3:02 pm

If Steve has the time or inclination, he can study the numbers on closers who go from the NL to the AL.

I know starters have a hard time making the transition, but I’m not sure it’s the same for relievers. Especially closers. They don’t get to throw to the pitcher, for one thing, and I think closing has a lot to do with the pitcher’s mentality (just the fact that he can come in with the game on the line with no fear is a big part of it).

It’s my opinion that the Yankees should sell high on Proctor. It doesn’t have to be for Gonzo, but maybe just a good, young player. The thing is, we have to be careful with Proctor. There is absolutely no guarantee he’ll be good next year. People praise his work this year, but the previous two years he was horrible for the Yankees (ERAs in the 5s and 6s) and he was even bad down in the minors in 2005. This is also a guy who’s going to be 30 soon. It’s hard not to worry about a fluke year when a guy’s been basically mediocre his whole career and suddenly puts it together so late.

I think Scott is a hell of a guy and he was wonderful for this team this year, but if he brings something substantial in return, I would deal him.

I think the Yankees will probably throw 100 million dollars at Mark Teixeira next year, so they wouldn’t trade for a long-term first baseman (unless he was special), but maybe they can pry away the future catcher from a team desperate for bullpen help.

Proctor for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, maybe?

6. brockdc
      December 12th, 2006 | 10:25 pm

Gonzalez for Proctor AND Melky? No way.