• Peers Ring In On Cashman

Posted by on December 13th, 2006 · Comments (21)

Baseball America recently had a feature on “Rating the best GMs in the business.” Here’s some of the things said therein about Brian Cashman:

DEALING WITH OWNERSHIP

A’s GM Billy Beane joined many others in admiring Brian Cashman (Yankees): “It’s a huge undertaking being GM of the Yankees. No one else has to deal with a club president who negotiated a labor contract, a boss who’s the highest-profile owner in American sports, in the biggest city in America, and completely separate baseball operations in Florida for all those years. For Brian to handle it this deftly, you have to be pretty Machiavellian.”

MEDIA RELATIONS

Using the press not just to deliver messages to a demanding public but also to disseminate and receive information is a fine art, with BRIAN CASHMAN (Yankees) being rated the master for handling this in New York’s hurricane. “Honesty, integrity, volume,” Nationals GM Jim Bowden said. “He’s extremely impressive.” Added Astros counterpart Tim Purpura, “I don’t know how he does it. Brian is very honest and very direct. There’s no dancing around. When he can’t answer he says he can’t. That’s the only way to do it, particularly with that kind of volume in that city.”

An honest Machiavellian? Isn’t that like a checked swing?

OK, joking aside, I think most would agree that Cashman should get high marks for dealing with the complexity of the Yankees management chain and the New York media. I do think that the jury is still out on his “roster-management” work.

In any event, Brian has never snuck out of Yankee Stadium in a gorilla suit like Boston’s boy-wonder did once at Fenway. That should tell you that there are a lot worse guys who could be the Yankees G.M. right now.

Comments on Peers Ring In On Cashman

1. DFLNJ
      December 13th, 2006 | 11:43 am

I’ve always thought Cashmoney’s public statements hid ulterior motives inside straightforward language (like his game last year with Damon). I guess it’s good, then, that the other GM’s think he’s just being honest, but I’m surprised that they don’t see through what he says more clearly.

I think he leans more towards the Machiavellian than the honest.

2. RICH
      December 13th, 2006 | 11:57 am

Is being cited by Jim Bowden for honesty and integrity a compliment?

3. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 13th, 2006 | 1:29 pm

Who gives a shit about respect. Everybody is angry at the Red Sox. They cheat, they tamper, they trade injured players, they lie, they steal, BUT, that dont matter. Teams still do business with them. They treated D-Mat through their offers as a Gil Meche, but the sad part is, he’ll be getting less than Gil Meche.
      Our respect doesnt get us shit.

4. RICH
      December 13th, 2006 | 2:42 pm

Everybody is angry at the Red Sox? I don’t think so.

Yankee fans are angry at the Red Sox, but who are these “others” angry at the Red Sox? You make these charges but you then show it doesn’t affect how others deal with them. Maybe you’re making these ‘charges’ larger than they are.

2 questions:

1. If the Yankees were doing what the Sox are doing (which I think is fine unless proven otherwise)would you be taking the Yankees to task?

2. Do you think the Yankees are pure as snow?

What are you going to do if the Yankees low ball Igawa?

Just so you don’t think I’m trolling here, I’m a Yankee fan.

5. baileywalk
      December 13th, 2006 | 2:56 pm

I think it’s disgusting what the Sox did with J.D. Drew (or what they “allegedly” did). You don’t go behind another team’s back and offer their player a contract — especially in this situation since the Dodgers had overpaid Drew and only got one healthy year out of him.

That opt-out was in the contract, so the Dodgers are partially to blame, but I think it’s obvious the Red Sox got to Drew and told him they were going to open the vault for him.

If the Yankees did that, I would be just as disgusted. I’m not a fan of underhanded dealing.

This Matsuzaka deal is the worst by Boras in his long, hated career. Basically the Sox are giving Matsuzaka exactly what they first offered. For all the noise by Boras, the original deal is what he took. Matsuzaka is getting screwed. The Sox are basically saying, “We had to bid so much for you because you’re so good, and now we can’t pay you anything because we spent all our money on the posting fee.” So it goes ‘the more talented you are = more posting fee = less money for your contract.’ It’s better to not be that good. (Isn’t it crazy that Igawa and Matsuzaka will be making basically the same amount of money?)

Boras was a fool to go six years. So not only is Matsuzaka getting underpaid, but the Sox own him for six years (as if he were a rookie). It would have just been better for Matsuzaka to stay in Japan. This whole thing is horrible, and Matsuzaka is getting the short end of the stick.

December 13th, 2006 | 2:59 pm

Mats should’ve known what he was getting into when he chose Boras as his agent.

7. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 13th, 2006 | 3:48 pm

Baileywalk…
      You are right, Matsuzaka is getting the short end of the stick. However, Raf, you are wrong, Matsuzaka thought he knew what he was getting when he chose Boras as an agent, which is an agent that would get the job done. Instead he got an agent who is in the back pocket of the Red Sox. Boras is known for sqeezing every last dime out of teams when negotiating and this time he as baileywalk said, took the original deal offered. The worst part of this deal for Matsuzaka is that he will be 32 when his contract runs out and he will lose the opportunity to get the big pay day he deserved because he was backstabbed by his agent.

RICH-
      The Red Sox tampered with the JD Drew when he was with the Dodgers so much so that the Dodgers contemplated filing charges with the commish’s office before realizing the commish’s office was more likely to punish the Dodgers for daring to question the Red Sox than to punish the Red Sox for the obvious breaking of the rules. The Red Sox also had under the table dealings with Julio Lugo during last year’s trading deadline causing the Devil Ray’s (mis)management to be furious enough to also want to go to the commish’s office. They also broke with an unwritten rule with Japanese teams who sign players from the US when the took Kevin Millar. They forced the Orioles to wait until after the season to take Adam Stern as compensation for Javy Lopez, because Stern was claimed on waivers after the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline. They had an agreement to trade David Wells to San Diego if they fell out of the playoff race, yet when the time came they forced the Padres to give up a top catching prospect, George Kotteras. They also bought up all the hotel rooms at the hotel where Jose Contreras was staying when the Yankees were trying to sign Contreras which caused the whole Evil Empire crap. And the last of the instances that I can remember is at the 2003 trade deadline when they traded an injured Brandon Lyon to the Pirates for Suppan and Sauerbeck and were forced to take Lyon back because of the injury and send Freddy Sanchez instead. Then they later traded the same injured Brandon Lyon in November of 2003, 3 months later, in the deal that got them Curt Schilling. All of these instace are of the current regime, not to mention the underhanded dealing of the previous regime. Anyway to answer your question, I would not be taking the Yankees to task, the other teams would be taking the Yankees to task. Our underhanded dealings would be considered stabbing in the back in the fraternity of baseball. However, when the Sox do it, nobody cares and they continue to do business with them.

That is why I say, respect means shit, because all the respect that Cashman garners doesnt do a damn bit of good while the Red Sox dont care about what organizations or countries or people they screw over to get whatever players they want. They know they can get away with whatever they want.

8. MJ
      December 13th, 2006 | 3:57 pm

In a way, Boras got screwed as well because a) he didn’t extract the Zito-like price he wanted (and thus won’t get 5% of THAT contract and will have to “settle” for half that amount and b) by locking his client up for six years, he’s seriously cutting into his own earning potential off of Matsuzaka’s abilities. Now he’ll have to wait a long time before getting to take a second bite of this apple.

As to all the BS talk about the Red Sox as cheaters, etc. Who cares? They play for keeps, as do the Yanks. All’s fair in love and war. And if the Dodgers or any other team don’t file charges, or if the D-Backs or Pirates make trades with Boston and get damaged goods, it’s on them to do something about it. Buyer beware is the name of the game. Of course we’d like to think that everyone plays fair but that’s a ridiculous notion. I hate the Red Sox because they’re the Red Sox and because their management and clubhouse is full of low-life creeps. But I can’t bash how they go about their business…don’t forget, our owner is a scumbag who hired P.I.’s to dig dirt on his own players and has the people skills of a Josef Stalin. Truth hurts.

And before anyone rips me for this one, trust me, I’m a Yankees fan.

9. Garcia
      December 13th, 2006 | 4:04 pm

Who cares what the Red Sox do? I sure don’t. F- them, they don’t exist to me.

10. December 13th, 2006 | 4:41 pm

So how much is Seibu kicking in on this deal?

11. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 13th, 2006 | 4:53 pm

“our owner is a scumbag who hired P.I.’s to dig dirt on his own players and has the people skills of a Josef Stalin”

Our owner is also the only owner who spends more than a billion dollars to try to win a World Series and is willing to fund nearly an entire new ballpark from his own money with very little coming from the tax payers. Steinbrenner gives his team the best chance to win of every single other owner in all of team sports. He is a great man and should not be compared with those creeps from Boston.

I dont care that the Red Sox cheat, I care that the Red Sox are allowed to get away with it when every Yankee fan knows as well I do that if we tried to get away with the same underhanded tactics the Red Sox already get away with we would be ripped in the media, attacked by other baseball clubs, and sanctioned by Major League baseball. It is ironic that you mentioned that Steinbrenner hired P.I.’s to dig dirt on players, because he was suspended a couple years for that. If the Red Sox owners did that, they would be praised “for keeping an eye on their investment” The only problem I have is how the Yankees are portayed as “the Evil Empire” when all the evidence supports the idea that the Red Sox are far worse than we will ever be.

December 13th, 2006 | 4:57 pm

Donnie: Boras has more of a rep of getting the maximum dollar available, than getting a job done. Now I don’t know the details of the contract, or how they came to agreement, but it could’ve been as simple as Matsuzaka saying “enough,” and agreeing to whatever deal was on the table

13. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 13th, 2006 | 5:14 pm

Raf: Boras has always made it a point when he signs a client to say that he does the negotiating, not the client. It was in Boras’s best interests to keep Matsuzaka away from the Red Sox so they couldnt make their appeal directly to him. Basically, as a representative of the player, Boras has made it clear by his numerous other negotiations that he does all the negotiating and the player stays out of it. But this time, miraculously he allowed himself to be played by a loser like Theo Ep”Stain”. Maybe if the negotiations were being held while the opposing sides were wearing gorilla suits, then Boras would have an excuse for looking like a chump. Basically, by putting Matsuzaka in a position to to say “enough” he has cost himself millions of dollars and cost Matsuzaka tens of millions of dollars.

14. Garcia
      December 13th, 2006 | 5:18 pm

You know what I find funny? It is that Red Sox fans think the exact opposite, that Selig and Co. let the Yankees get away with everything.

So what if the Sox cheat or get away with it, let’s not throw stones here. All teams cheat in some way or another, whether it be at business level or on the playing field. Whoever cheats best then more power to them. I can’t believe some of the angst I’m reading here.

For me personally, the best thing to come out of the Sawx winning it all was that I learned to pay less attention to them. I like seeing them suffer, but I try and focus all my energy on the Yanks and eventually things will work themselves out. Their acquisitions don’t frighten me. What scares me is what the Yanks do and the silly Womackian acquisitions, that’s that can potentially hurt us more than the Sawx ever can. If right baseball decisions are made, then the Yanks will be fine. I’m a big Torre suppoter and I believe Cashman is a great GM, unlike Steve I don’t think the jury is still out on Cashman. The same way I don’t think Torre is a bad manager.

It’s going to come down to three simple things when it’s all said and done: pitching, fielding and hitting. Whoever does that better from ALL the AL East teams….then they will be the division winner. I also think we shouldn’t discount the Blue Jays. They are going to be better this year. Their bullpen was really good last year and I think with a healthy Burnett, then a top three of Halladay, Burnett, and Chacin is as good, if not better, than any three from the Yanks or Red Sox.

December 13th, 2006 | 5:22 pm

Donnie: Despite what Boras says, at the end of the day, he’s working for Mats.

But we’re all speculating about what happened; maybe Boras got played, maybe Mats decided he had enough, maybe Theo is a genius. I don’t know

16. DonnieDosTresBaseball
      December 13th, 2006 | 5:42 pm

Garcia: Sawx fans may thing the same thing about the Yankees getting away with stuff but the facts back up that the Red Sox get away with everything starting with how John Henry was allowed to purchase the team and ending with how they were allowed to tamper with players under contract with other teams.
      Name me one thing they Yanks have done under the table that they have gotten away with.

17. Chewbacca
      December 13th, 2006 | 11:35 pm

Excerpt from the twisted sick F*** Peter Gammons’ ESPN Insider article:
      “There is an advantage to being the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Dodgers, and they should use that advantage in payroll; hey, they’re helping pay for Gil Meche. And when teams like the Royals and Cubs are good, everyone else gets their traveling gate windfalls.”
      “This is the system, and John Henry, Tom Werner, Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein used it to get a top-of-the-rotation starter at less than it would have cost them to sign Meche or Ted Lilly, with the posting price being the cost of the power of exclusivity.”

I hate to quote Peter Gammons EVER, but he made my point ever so clearly. The $51 million posting fee was NOTHING and they got Dice-K for 6 years for NOTHING.

December 14th, 2006 | 9:22 am

====================
      Eh? The Sox are out $103M.

And as long as the Royals are signing players like Meche, they will never be good.

19. Chewbacca
      December 14th, 2006 | 10:41 am

1. The Sox are out 103 million over the length of 6 years (around $17 AAV) for a 26 year old top-of-the-line starting pitcher.

2. Gil Meche is better than any pitcher that they’ve got, so Meche is an upgrade. That’s not to mention that Meche beat the Red Sox at least once last year, and had a chance to win another (maybe it was the Loretta walk-off game).
      If they’ve got 5 Gil Meches for starters, then they’ve given themselves a chance to win everyday as opposed to throwing Zach Greinke out there.

December 14th, 2006 | 11:11 am

===========
      You may want to look at Meche’s career before you make that statement.

21. Chewbacca
      December 14th, 2006 | 12:57 pm

That statement was supposed to read “better chance to win everyday.” My apologies. He may not be great, or even good, but Meche is better than anything they have, therefore, he is an upgrade.