• Champions of the Heart VHS

Posted by on December 29th, 2006 · Comments (6)

I was jonesing for some good Yankees fan-candy tonight. So, I broke out the MSG Network produced VHS tape that documented the Yankees 1999 season. It’s entitled Champions of the Heart. Watching it, and reliving the 1999 season, three things dawned on me:

1. MSG did a nice job in producing these year-end summaries. It was just about this time last year that I had the itch to watch The Season Of Their Lives – also by MSG for VHS. (I guess that I have some sort of Yankees Fan Pon’far thing that hits me each season right around New Years?) It’s a shame that the YES Network cannot come out with something at year end that chronicles the season, month by month, moment by moment, etc. It would sell – of this I have no doubt.

2. There were many more blocks of empty blue seats to been seen in Yankees Stadium highlights from 1999 than there are from today. Ah, the good ol’ days of averaging 35,000-40,000 fans per game (as opposed to averaging 50,000+ per home game).

3. Watching the big clips from 1999, I noticed the emotional displays – during both good and bad times – in the faces and body movements of Yankees players like Paul O’Neill, Roger Clemens, Chad Curtis, El Duque Hernandez, Joe Girardi, Andy Pettitte, Tino Martinez, David Cone, and Jim Leyritz. You don’t see much of that on the Yankees now, or in the last three years or so. As a fan, I miss seeing that fire.

After watching this tape tonight, I’m ready for some Yankees baseball now. Is it really just less than 7 weeks until Pitchers and Catchers report?

Comments on Champions of the Heart VHS

December 30th, 2006 | 12:04 am

While I don’t mind the YES network, I thought they’d have a lot more Yankee-programming than they have had. Definately thought they would have more games from the Yankee archives. Thought I’d see more Yankeeographies too. Seems SNY has the same problem too; they keep replaying gm 6 of the ’86 series. Think they played it again tonight.

I was kicking around the MLB site the other day. The HoF page, to be specific. Really enjoyed some of the clips they had. Maybe I’ll pick up a few games down the line. Can’t really go wrong with $4/game. Discs would take up a lot less space than my VHS cassettes…

Yep, those days of 35-40k are gone. From the YS farewell tour to the new ballpark (gonna get some more pics over the weekend), it’s going to be a while before the Yanks “jump the shark.”

Popped in When it was a Game a couple of nights ago. Fun to watch

I’ve been getting the baseball itch myself; been tossing a bit, swinging the bat around the apartment, doing some mirror work… Hit the cages last weekend, my timing is WAY off. Guess I should stick to pitching this upcoming season. :)

2. December 30th, 2006 | 1:42 am

The YES Network is a major problem, I’ve written 2 detailed letters to officials there to no avail. But I’m not giving up. First, it took me a long time to realize it, but whoever’s in charge of their studio productions is not a Yankee fan. I don’t need a 1-sided homer network, but it’s so far from that as to not be worth it. The network is either grossly understaffed or is simply controlled by ESPN (or its friends). I have plenty of substantiation for my statements.

3. December 30th, 2006 | 9:13 am

Susan – have you published any of this in your blog? Do you have some links that you can share?

December 30th, 2006 | 10:02 am

==========
      Bob Raissman says “whaaat?” (:

I wouldn’t mind seeing what you have. The entry you wrote last November really didn’t go in depth.

5. Garcia
      December 30th, 2006 | 10:49 am

Susan, can you ask the YES folks to have all their original programming in HD, too?

Steve, I haven’t thrown out my VHS tapes, but 2 months ago I gave away my almost new – because I had only used it twice in the last 3 years or so – VHS tape player to the Salvation Army. It was just collecting dust. More power to you for still keeping yours. I have a lot of tapes that I’ll have to put on DVD format, eventually I’ll have to get around to that.

The Yankee game that I still love to watch because I was there, and it is still my favorite game I’ve ever been to (at the ballpark), was game 5 of the 2001 ALCS. I remember getting goose bumps when everyone started screaming in unison, “overrated” and “loooooouuuiiiiieeee” (for Lou Pinella).

That year I was at game 3, 4, and 5 of the world series, but I thought the ALCS was the most memorable – there was so much release and joy because the Yanks were going to the world series so easily after having so much diffuculty against the A’s. Yankee stadium was a mad-house that day, I swear everyone in the stadium reeked of booze but everyone was so happy. It was a happiness I had never seen at a ballpark.

I thought game 3 with the President there was a great game too. Especially after the way Clemens pitched.

6. Chewbacca
      December 30th, 2006 | 12:49 pm

Hey everybody

In response to Steve’s post, I wanted to let you guys know that I have every playoff game from 1996, and 1998-2000 on VHS/DVD along with the Yankees World Series Victory Parades from 1996, 1998 and 1999. If anybody wants these games to watch I would be happy to give them to you.

And Raf, I even have some Red Sox games for you to watch as well. J/K LOL