• Darrell Rasner – The New Ramiro Mendoza?

Posted by on December 31st, 2006 · Comments (13)

Once the Randy Johnson trade is done, the Yankees 2007 starting rotation, for the moment, will appear as follows:

Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Igawa and “X” -

where “X” will be Pavano, Rasner, Karstens or someone else (Clemens)?

Some seasons, the 5th starter does not really come into play until the month of May. However, in 2007, the Yankees will need a 5th starter at least 3 times in the month of April.

Of the four candidates above, I feel, at this moment, that it will be “someone else” for the 5th slot – with the answer coming some time in the next seven weeks.

And, the more and more that I look at the options that are out there, the more I feel that it will be Roger Clemens – which pushes Igawa to the 5th slot of the rotation.

Considering the age and injury history between Mussina and Clemens, and to an extent Pettitte as well, having someone like Darrell Rasner in the bullpen, where he can spot start, probably should be part of the Yankees plan next year.

Comments on Darrell Rasner – The New Ramiro Mendoza?

1. baileywalk
      December 31st, 2006 | 1:35 pm

According to Heyman, the Yankees want Clemens to play the entire year (which doesn’t make sense, since he doesn’t think he can stay healthy and effective for the entire year anymore). If the Yankees do trade Johnson (which is no guarantee right now) then that means they believe Pavano will be pitching for them in ’07.

If Clemens isn’t signed after Johnson is traded, then the Yankees probably think they can keep things calm with Pavano or Rasner or Karstens or someone with a little major-league experience until Hughes is ready midyear (or Clippard, the forgotten man). Also, one of the kids from the RJ trade would be a candidate, since some have pitched in AAA.

December 31st, 2006 | 1:55 pm

This is an interesting part of Clemens’ career, that of the “stretch drive hired gun.”

3. Chewbacca
      December 31st, 2006 | 2:37 pm

“Darrell Rasner – The New Ramiro Mendoza?”

BAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHA

Ramiro Mendoza came in an ALCS against the Red Sox in 1999 with a 1 run lead and the bases loaded nobody out for the Red Sox and got out of the inning with no runs scoring.

The day Darrell Rasner does anything close to that is the day hell freezes over.

4. Garcia
      December 31st, 2006 | 3:14 pm

He (Rasner) won’t ever do that because the umps have a vendetta against the New York Yankees. Rasner would end up walking-in three runs because the umpires would refuse to call a strike, even if it’s right down the heart of the plate.

5. December 31st, 2006 | 3:16 pm

Play nice guys or else you will lose your posting rights.

6. Chewbacca
      December 31st, 2006 | 3:53 pm

Play nice guys or else you will lose your posting rights.

Steve, Garcia was making a joke. It’s all in good fun. However, he has it right. Rasner probably would walk in three runs, but with little help from the umpires, because he is a loser.

7. Chewbacca
      December 31st, 2006 | 4:44 pm

“David Murphy said he has added 10-15 pounds of muscle while working with trainer Dennis Fay at the Texas Sports Medical Center this winter.”

LOL. It looks as if he’s been hanging out with Papi, and by hanging out, I mean Papi has been injecting him in the tushy with the same superjuice that Papi’s been on since 2003.

8. baileywalk
      December 31st, 2006 | 6:30 pm

Okay, it WASN’T a playoff game, and NO, you cannot compare the two situations, but since it was brought up…

Rasner had a start in Toronto and began the game a little wild. He hit Russ Johnson. Gave up a double to Frank Catalanotto. Walked Vernon Wells.

Bases loaded no outs.

He got Lyle Overbay to pop up. Troy Glaus to foul out. And struck out Bengie Molina.

No runs scored and the Yankees went on to win that game (Rasner ended up going six and giving up 3 ER).

Personally, I like Rasner a lot. With the way things currently are, I don’t think he’s the fifth starter, but like Steve said, he can be very valuable for the team.

9. Chewbacca
      December 31st, 2006 | 7:18 pm

I applaud your memory Baileywalk… But, while I was typing that post, I remembered that exact game. My thinking was: Not only was it not a playoff game as you said, it was not against the Red Sox, and there was no pressure, as our magic number for the playoffs was something like 4.

I, like the rest of you, hope that Rasner could be an effective part of our team, but I try to look at things realistically. We cannot expect players like Rasner to succeed for us in important situations when we couldn’t even depend on PG Randy Johnson, 20K Roger Clemens, or $250mil Alex Rodriguez. Players like Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon are the EXCEPTION, NOT THE RULE.

10. December 31st, 2006 | 7:42 pm

baileywalk, LOL, when I read those first comments about 1999, I was thinking about that exact game in Toronto too.

11. Chewbacca
      December 31st, 2006 | 9:28 pm

So I guess by you having thought about that game in Toronto, Steve, you equate a meaningless game vs. the perennial loser Blue Jays with an ALCS game vs. the Red Sox. Hmmm…I applauded Baileywalk because he refused to compare the two and was merely bringing out a point, but you, Steve, with your LOL, probably don’t even see the difference. I guess that’s the way you look at things, Steve, when you like a player. But when a player, let’s call him Moose, pours his heart and soul, and the statistics, into a team for 6 years, you’re easy to dismiss him. I think I’ll take this fictitious character named Moose over Rasner anyday. And “as sure as God made apples,” you’d take Rasner. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

12. Garcia
      December 31st, 2006 | 9:54 pm

Steve, are you devloping rabbit ears? I was only giving Chewie a good ole kidney punch.

13. Garcia
      December 31st, 2006 | 9:56 pm

BTW, thanks Chewie for recognizing the joke.