• Best Seasons By Yankees Second Basemen

Posted by on January 17th, 2007 · Comments (9)

Continuing with the WasWatching.com Yankees “ten best seasons” (ever) series, today we look at second basemen. Here is what I believe are the top ten seasons for Yankees second basemen, with stats via the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia:

Click on the list below for a larger view ~

Now, this is a list. You’ve got some players from back in the day, some more current players, some sluggers and some guys who were mostly table setters.

But, what’s really interesting with the second basemen is when you look at the top twenty instead of just the top ten:

Click on the list below for a larger view ~

This tells us that, basically, there have only been 16 seasons where a Yankees second baseman had a really large season with the bat. Tony Lazzeri had five of those 16 seasons and Joe Gordon had three of them.

It’s no wonder that somewhat ol’ time Yankees fans like to wax poetic about guys like Horace Clarke and Bobby Richardson – because there were not a lot of great hitting second basemen in Yankees history to carry on about instead. In terms of good two-B sticks, it’s the five guys who can be found in the top ten list. Dat’s it. And, Robinson Cano, with a few more good seasons, will be nipping right on Chuck Knoblauch’s heels to crack that top five.

Comments on Best Seasons By Yankees Second Basemen

1. January 18th, 2007 | 7:36 am

How would Cano’s 2006 compare if he played a full season?

2. MJ
      January 18th, 2007 | 8:51 am

Given the fact that we saw Ron Hassey make the catching list, I half-expected to see some more funny names of my youth make it into the 2nd base group: Pat Kelly, Steve Sax, Andy Fox, and Andy Stankiewicz.

The funny thing I remember about Stankiewicz is that when he came up, either Rizzuto or another announcer kept on saying how much he looked like Babe Ruth. Does anyone else remember that?

3. singledd
      January 18th, 2007 | 9:24 am

Had we not traded Sori, since we are talking offensive numbers, my guess is he would have dominated the list.

How many players in baseball are non-white? 40%? more? Half? It’s hard for me to look at pre-1950′s players and lump them with current players.
      I can’t help but wonder how guys like Tony Lazzeri and Snuffy would have faired against modern players.

4. January 18th, 2007 | 9:28 am

~~~How would Cano’s 2006 compare if he played a full season?~~~

I don’t think he gets into the top ten with more PA. Remember, he still had over 500 PAs as it was in 2006. Maybe with some more PAs, he gets into the top 13 with his 2006 season.

5. January 18th, 2007 | 9:31 am

MJ – I know they used to call Hassey “Babe” when he was here. If anything, Stankiewicz looked like Phil – and not George Herman. I don’t recall anyone saying he looked like the Babe.

6. January 18th, 2007 | 9:35 am

On Snuffy, also, it is significant to note that, during the first half of the 1940′s, over one hundred major league players were involved in World War II. As a result, the level of play was somewhat diluted.

7. JohnnyC
      January 18th, 2007 | 10:39 am

MJ, Andy Fox was the one who resembled The Babe and it was mostly Al Trautwig who kept saying that.

8. January 18th, 2007 | 11:11 am

I could see that. Fox and the Babe had the same nose.

9. MJ
      January 18th, 2007 | 12:32 pm

Ah, well I knew it was one of the young Andy’s. I vaguely remember Trautwig doing Yankee games. Funny how I remember WPIX better than the MSG years.