• It’s Not The Number On His Back That Will Land Rocket

Posted by on January 23rd, 2007 · Comments (11)

From Michael Morrissey -

The Yankees are preparing for Roger Clemens – at least, numerically speaking.

Recently, the club asked All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano to hand over his No. 22 in the event of another Rocket launch in The Bronx, The Post confirmed yesterday.

Cano will switch to No. 24, and he’s as eager as anyone to see the seven-time Cy Young Award winner in pinstripes again.

Cano’s number already has been officially adjusted on the team roster, according to a source.

“I was happy to give up the number to a future Hall of Famer if Roger comes aboard,” Cano said in a statement. “Hopefully, he will be one of my teammates, I’ll have the pleasure of playing with him.”

Moreover, indications are the Yankees already have relayed Cano’s number switch to Clemens’ camp – even if the 44-year-old righty has no imminent plans of making a decision of where to pitch in 2007, or whether to retire.

“No decision will be made until well after spring training, perhaps until after the season starts,” agent Randy Hendricks wrote in an e-mail yesterday.

What a shame it is that the Yankees are asking Cano, an All-Star, to monkey around with his uniform number…because this is how the Clemens-signing thing is going to go down:

Roger Clemens will not sign with anyone until May 1st. He’s going to wait until then to see how things are going with the Yankees and Red Sox pitching.

If either Boston or New York has a glaring need for a starting pitcher, he’s going to use that leverage to make the other team (the one that doesn’t need the starter) pay mega-bucks for him. If both Boston and New York have a dire need for a starter, he’s going to play them both off each other to make sure he gets top dollar.

If it turns out that neither Boston or New York needs a starting pitcher, after the first month of the season, Clemens will sign with Houston on May 1st, still getting a ton of money, and will enjoy the sweet-heart deal that he gets there playing in his backyard (not having to take road-trips, etc.).

It’s going to be all about the money – and where/how he can get the most of it. That will decide where Clemens plays in 2007. Anyone who thinks different doesn’t know Roger Clemens.

Clemens will wear whatever number is around…12, 21, 22, whatever…as long as the right numbers are there to the right of the dollar-sign.

Comments on It’s Not The Number On His Back That Will Land Rocket

1. Garcia
      January 23rd, 2007 | 10:26 am

I don’t look it as an insult against Cano, maybe more towards the Yankee organization as a whole. But that’s neither here nor there. The Yankees have to make concessions for a HOF player like Clemens, especially if they want to be players in this thing. They have to fancy Clemens panzy ass or else he’s gonna bitch and whine that the Yanks didn’t try as hard as the Sux or ASsThROleS.

As my man Hyman Roth said, “this is the business we have chosen”. Or in our case…chosen to watch and follow.

Good thing MLB is conducting business the right way and not allowing me to purchase MLB Extra Innings so I can watch those great Royals and Devil Ray matchups. F’ing a-holes, Selig deserves a brain tumor for his bonehead decisions. Yea I said it…so what. Selig is a bum!!!

2. rbj
      January 23rd, 2007 | 10:48 am

Hear, hear, Garcia, re Extra Innings.
      Cancelling the ’94 WS can in part be blamed on the players and owners. The all-star tie was due to the managers wanting to get everyone in. Heck, even with steroids there was opposition from the very strong players’ union. This is the absolute worst decision, and I put it squarely on Selig. You do not lower the accessibility of your sport or demand that the fans switch their media provider. Utterly stupid. Here’s a big, hearty, deeply felt F You to Bud.

As for Clemens and the number switcheroo, I don’t care, and I don’t blame him for trying to get top dollar.

3. Garcia
      January 23rd, 2007 | 11:03 am

rbj, I don’t get why MLB is doing that deal, if they had 750,000 subscribers last year then that comes out to: 750,000 * $150 (give or take EI cost) = $112,500,000/year. If you multiply that by 7 years then that comes out to way more than the $700 million they signed for. It must be because MLB has to payoff Pay Per View for the offering or split the profits with them. I just don’t get why the fans get assed out.

I’ll still get to watch the Yankee games, but I really love watching baseball. I like watching the west coast games and falling asleep to watching them, it just provides some good entertainment after the Yankee games are over and during commercial breaks. I can’t believe how much this is pissing me off. I’m so pissed that I care about this sport, it’s as if your wife/gf is cheating on you with your brother and you continue to have a relationship with both. They know that the only people that they are hurting is their rabid fans and they will continue to watch so it doesn’t matter if they get a little pissed. The casual fan or die-hard fan of one team will only watch ONE team so they don’t care about EI. They really feel they have nothing to lose, in the big scheme of things.

I swear if I can turn off a switch and not care about this damn sport any longer, right now would be a perfect time to swith it to ‘off’.

4. rbj
      January 23rd, 2007 | 11:10 am

I live in Ohio, so I won’t get to watch Yankee games, except when they’re playing Detroit or Cleveland or Chicago (all with horrible announcers) or on Fox/ESPN. Ugh. I guess I’ll be listening on the radio to more Mudhens’ games.

5. Garcia
      January 23rd, 2007 | 11:12 am

I feel for you, rbj. My sincere apologies. Call this number: (212) 931-7800 and complain. I keep calling.

6. MJ
      January 23rd, 2007 | 12:53 pm

Garcia, my guess is that the $87M difference in your calculations will be made up by charging more for the MLB.tv internet package (which is now the only other way to watch out-of-market games). Combined with the fact that baseball is launching their own TV network, the guaranteed money they get here instead of relying on subscriptions, factored into their decision. Sucks for consumers, but since when have pro sports ever catered to the average fan?

7. brockdc
      January 23rd, 2007 | 1:22 pm

“I’m so pissed that I care about this sport, it’s as if your wife/gf is cheating on you with your brother and you continue to have a relationship with both.”

The phrase spot-on is often overused. Not in this instance. Nice one, Garcia.

8. rbj
      January 23rd, 2007 | 1:43 pm

Thanks for the number Garcia, I’ll have to give it a try.

What gets me is why does Selig think that there are only regional allegiences these days. Sure, I probably started out being a Yankee fan because I lived in norther Jersey, but I’ve followed them in Oregon, Washington, Virginia, South Carolina and now Ohio. Doesn’t Bud realize people move around the country? May his hemarroids get hemarroids.

January 23rd, 2007 | 3:01 pm

Combined with the fact that baseball is launching their own TV network
      =========
      Hopefully, it’ll go a lot better than “The Baseball Network” of years pasr…

Either way, this is a dumb “grab the $$ move” by Selig & Co.

10. January 23rd, 2007 | 9:35 pm

I don’t wonder why Allan H. “Bud” Selig says anything–my experience is he tailors the phrase to whatever sounds best for the occasion. Not only does he not believe in local baseball, he’d go to global baseball tomorrow, having your players fly around the globe. He gets things done because he has all the votes. There are no AL and NL presidents anymore. Just Allan H. Funny that fans don’t campaign loudly for low-budget teams to use some of these $700 million windfalls on a player or 2. But, Bud has all the owners and writers trained to blame it on the Yankees.

January 24th, 2007 | 11:30 am

Bud has all the owners and writers trained to blame it on the Yankees.
      =========
      Lazy journalism & reporting is all it is. Has been that way for a while now.