• Levine: YES Is Cotton Candy, Not Docosahexaenoic Acid

Posted by on January 24th, 2007 · Comments (8)

From three true outcomes who saw Randy Levine at George Washington University -

Randy Levine sounded like, well, what you expected him to sound like. He praised the Boss (though I believe that’s because Steinbrenner has spies everywhere). When asked about diversity, he responded, “If a guy’s good, and we want him, we’ll get him.” (Which prompted Perlozzo to say, “I don’t think I like this guy anymore.”) He talked about how the new Yankees stadium will look like how 1920s Yankees Stadium looked. I thought he had a good response when someone asked about the ethics of a team being strongly associated with a network (e.g. YES, MASN). He responded that not everyone can be the New York Times or the Washington Post, that the goal of the YES network was to entertain Yankees fans, rather than inform them.

Hey, Randy, you can inform and entertain at the same time, ya’ know?

Comments on Levine: YES Is Cotton Candy, Not Docosahexaenoic Acid

1. JohnnyC
      January 24th, 2007 | 10:58 am

I have no problem with YES’ coverage of the team. If I want to hear cheap-shot negativity aimed at the Yankees, I’ve got ESPN 24/7 (or WFAN in New York). Think about this: what other team-centered sports network routinely airs 5 1/2 hours a day of self-proclaimed “crack anti-Yankee” commentary by a man named “Mad Dog”? 25 hours a week are filled with snide remarks about the Yankees, their players, fans, payroll, history, etc. And even Francesa enjoys a good laugh at the Boss on a regular basis, giving his press release statements readings that even Christopher Walken would be envious of (accompanied by martial music).

2. JohnnyC
      January 24th, 2007 | 11:00 am

I’m sure they do comic readings of John Henry’s statements on NESN.

January 24th, 2007 | 11:11 am

=============
      So Raissman was right with his al-yankzeera comments? ;)

Personally, I’ve for all intents and purposes have given up on the local media. I’ll watch the games, that’s about it. All I need are the scores & games, news I can get from the ATM reports, and quality discussion can be had online.

4. rbizzler
      January 24th, 2007 | 11:17 am

Howdy, I was also at that panel discussion at GWU and found Levine to be just as I expected, staid and calculated. One quick correction to the above account is that Levine was responding to a question about the political situation in Venezuela and how it might alter signing players from there when he made the “If he can play, he’ll be a Yankee” comment. I am not sure Randy is fully aware of Chavez’s plan to “protect” Venzuelan players from the clutches of MLB or if he didn’t think it was an appropriate forum to address the situation. I did find it interesting that Levine’s comments concerning the Yanks offseason mirrored the Cash mantra of trimming the fat and getting more ‘flexible’. He seemed to be reluctantly on board.

Otherwise, I learned that Ted Lerner (new Nats owner) knows little to nothing about baseball, and that the best way to get a job in baseball is to be related to a fat old filthy rich white guy (he introduced a half dozen of his family members in the audience who also happened to work for the Nats).

5. rbizzler
      January 24th, 2007 | 11:30 am

As for Levine’s comments about YES, he did say that he didn’t view the creation of the network as an ethical conflict and didn’t exactly say that the intent was to entertain and NOT inform. He made a big deal about how YES announcers were not punished for being critical of the team in broadcasts, which seemed to be a bit of a hollow defense of the network. Living in DC, I don’t see YES programming much but I do find it somewhat ‘fluffy’ but no more nauseating than the ‘worldwide leader’ and their habit of beating stories into the ground.

January 24th, 2007 | 11:45 am

=============
      I thought that was common knowledge (:

There are very few “baseball people” who own teams. Of course, I can’t come up with anyone now off the top of my head. Hasn’t been that way since the Veecks, Griffiths, & O’Malleys have gotten out of the game.

7. January 24th, 2007 | 2:47 pm

I’ve documented examples showing that YES network studio production people and/or decision makers are not Yankee fans. Which would be fine, except there’s no other mass media to provide this orientation. I’ve sent detailed letters about the matter to various officials there. Even simple points I’ve made have been ignored. I don’t need a bunch of homers, that’s far from the point. I can get more appreciation of certain Yankee performances from SNY
      (the Mets channel) and have examples where I’ve done so. It’s a serious problem, one that’s apparently fallen between the cracks so far.

January 24th, 2007 | 10:19 pm

I suddenly have a lot more respect for the YES Network…

Courtesy of the Griddle