• Roger & Andy

Posted by on January 30th, 2007 · Comments (6)

No, not that Roger & Andy…..

I just came across a great story from seven years ago – about Roger Maris and Andy Strasberg (who was a fan). If you’ve never heard the tale, it’s worth checking out.

I know someone, a fan, who has developed a similar relationship with a current Yankees great. So, it’s possible that something like this can still happen today.

The key, to me, is that the ballplayer needs to be down-to-earth and classy. In the case of my friend today, I know the player is a good guy.

Sounds like Maris was a good guy too – unlike what some may have thought to be otherwise.

Comments on Roger & Andy

1. Garcia
      January 30th, 2007 | 3:46 pm

What a great, great story. Thanks for sharing that.

Can you tell us a little bit more about, “I know someone, a fan, who has developed a similar relationship with a current Yankees great”?

2. MJ
      January 30th, 2007 | 4:01 pm

That’s one cool story. Very touching that Strasberg and Maris connected on such a level and maintained close contact later in life.

If I could pick any one player to have such a relationship with, it would have to be Mariano Rivera. Not knocking anyone else but Mo is probably one of the biggest gentlemen in the game today and perhaps one of the classiest guys in MLB history. Obviously I have no way of knowing that but I’ve never heard one bad word said about him and I think the respect of his peers across the game is quite telling.

3. January 30th, 2007 | 4:46 pm

~~~You don’t have name names, just give us his uniform number and a fake name for the fan. ~~~

My friend would kill me – so, I can’t.

BTW, the Andy in this story went on to work in baseball, with the Padres and the Cards. He’s a lucky dude.

4. January 30th, 2007 | 4:47 pm

~~~Mo is probably one of the biggest gentlemen in the game today and perhaps one of the classiest guys in MLB history. ~~~

Ditto that. I hope there’s a place in the game for him when he’s done. It only seems right.

5. January 30th, 2007 | 5:31 pm

The Maris-Strasberg story is a great one, an incredible and improbable relationship between a player and a fan.

6. rmd0311
      February 1st, 2007 | 1:41 pm

That was just a beautiful story and has prompted me to add “61″ to my Netflix queue. Always wanted to see it but never got around to it…

That is just classic.