• Will The Love Swell Up For Alex?

Posted by on January 30th, 2007 · Comments (9)

I heard on the radio this morning that Phil Simms has recently said that, in his opinion, current and former NFL players are all rooting for Peyton Manning to get a ring this Sunday – because they respect the way he carries himself and goes about his work, etc.

Yeah, you know where this is going….

If the Yankees make the World Series this season, do you think Orel Hershiser or some other former star turned broadcaster will come out and say that he thinks current and former baseball players are all rooting for Alex Rodriguez to get a ring?

I don’t think that will happen.

It would be nice if I can tell you that this won’t happen because there is a difference in the way Manning and Rodriguez conduct themselves, etc. But, I don’t know enough about Manning to confirm that opinion.

It’s just a gut feeling – as to why I think it won’t happen. Maybe I’m wrong? What do you think? Should A-Rod get that support from his peers? Will he? Use the comments section here to share your thoughts.

Comments on Will The Love Swell Up For Alex?

1. bfriley76
      January 30th, 2007 | 12:54 pm

Maybe all it will take is Alex doing a Sprint commercial in a wig and fake moustache.

2. baileywalk
      January 30th, 2007 | 12:55 pm

You know how you always get irate A-Rod fans who fume “Why don’t they go after Giambi the way they go after A-Rod?” (Even though Giambi was walloped by the press, but anyway…) The answer is that Giambi is a nice guy who everyone likes and A-Rod is not.

People want Peyton to get a ring because Peyton is a universally liked, well-respected guy who most consider one of the nicest they’ll ever meet.

You’ve never heard people describe A-Rod as nice or liked. At best, they respect his talent. But all you ever hear is that he’s aloof, egocentric, or standoffish.

Baseball isn’t THAT much different from life. In an office, if the guy who got the promotion is a cool dude, people might be disappointed it’s not them, but still be happy for him. If he’s a jerk, then they not only hate that it was him, but they hope he fails.

You would see the same thing if Alex was in a World Series (which, let’s pray, is the scenario for ’07).

3. Garcia
      January 30th, 2007 | 1:20 pm

You are a glutton for punishment, you must be into S&M or something. WHY BRING THIS CRAP UP???? Don’t you have a picture to edit? Ugh….everyone becomes an expert on the ARod fiasco now.

John Wayne Gacy had more positive things written about him than ARod.

4. Garcia
      January 30th, 2007 | 1:25 pm

BTW, when Manning is busy throwing his lineman under a bus, or his defense, or a kicker, etc, then I’m sure that’s all it takes to be well liked. Manning is a bum, I’ve never heard ARod blame anyone else other than himself. I don’t hear ARod saying that people shouldn’t point to him or his legacy because it’s a team game, but when the shit hits the fan they run behind daddy’s back and start blaming others. Manning is punk, at least ARod accepts responsibility and in doing that he still gets dogged for calling his play “dog” like. Pah-lease….don’t annoit Manning just yet.

5. Garcia
      January 30th, 2007 | 1:45 pm

Let’s not forget the plethora of things written about Peyton:

There’s a ton more if you do a google search, yeah, I’m “sure” people are really rooting for this guy. Phil was my favorite Giants QB so I won’t hold it against him. I wish it would have been Boomer Esiason who said something like that so I could continue wishing he disappear forever – especially after his stupid ARod comment from the AFC Championship game.

I hate this topic because I knew it would force me to comment….I agree with the ARod clutch stuff and when you show the numbers, but I can’t stand when the ARod debate is solely based on emotions and people’s own perceptions. It forces people to pyschoanalyze someone whom they’ve never communicated one word with. Everyone becomes an expert and it’s not backed up by facts. Why is it important to talk about ARod being liked or not? Thurman and Reggie absolutely hated each other, Billy hated everyone – except maybe Thurman, if anything all that emotion and our own personal opinions mean absolutely nothing. The numbers, however, don’t lie. It doesn’t change anything, unless he reverses his numbers. Ultimately, that’s all that counts…ARod performs and nobody talks crap about being liked or not.

6. Jen
      January 30th, 2007 | 2:20 pm

I don’t think it will happen simply because you rarely hear that kind of talk amongst baseball players. How often do you hear during the world series about a certain player that former players (or even fans in general) are pulling for to win a ring? It seems to be a thing you hear more in football and especially hockey. I think baseball teams get more sympathy than individual players in this regard.

7. rbj
      January 30th, 2007 | 2:27 pm

A-Rod is a Yankee. Other teams/players do not root for the Yankees.

8. baileywalk
      January 30th, 2007 | 4:06 pm

Just to take it out of the A-Rod world for a second, since the mention of A-Rod’s name obviously makes some people go insane, put it this way:

Curt Schilling and David Ortiz. Both very talented and respected for that talent.

Schilling isn’t liked and Ortiz is.

When Schilling wins, they respect his ability, but they probably are not happy he won. When Ortiz wins, they not only respect his ability, but are happy for him because he’s a genuinely nice human being.

These things are pretty simple.

9. jonm
      January 30th, 2007 | 9:20 pm

Come on, let’s get some perspective here. Some of the comments here talk about ARod like he’s Barry Bonds for God’s sake. Now, there is an example of a classic a–hole. If a Bonds comparison is too much, compare ARod to someone like Dave Kingman.

Or, has anybody here read Cramer’s DiMaggio bio? It would be hard to come up with a believable fictional character who was as unpleasant a human being as Joe D.

Sure, ARod may be aloof and stand-offish, but I would wager that being that kind of garden-variety narcissist is characteristic of 95% of superstar athletes. How do we even know that Jeter is a “nice guy?” I’ve never heard stories of him being particularly friendly or generous to his teammates and I’ve heard negative stories about Jeter’s interactions with fans.

Most current major league stars don’t even bother to say hello to a common fan (that is unless the fans are attractive females or television cameras are around). Most players develop basic human decency only after retirement and the glory has faded.