• Moose On Pavano, Johnson & Hughes

Posted by on January 31st, 2007 · Comments (11)

From Newsday -

“I think he has to be there,” Mussina said of Pavano, when asked what the perennially injured righthander had to do to win back his teammates. “I think he has to pitch. I think he has to do his job. Just kind of be the new guy again, is the best way to put it.

“He’s been away a long time. He’s come and gone for periods of time, and he’s been real close, and everyone thought he was coming back and he didn’t. So he’s got to earn some trust from some players again, from a coaching staff and a manager and an organization.

“But if he can do it, we know he can pitch, and we know he can get people out. If he gets over those other hurdles, he’ll be an asset.”

Asked if he was surprised that the Yankees traded Johnson, Mussina replied: “I guess yes and no. He doesn’t seem like he has a lot of fun pitching in New York, and he certainly wears it on his sleeve. Even as poorly as he pitched, he found a way to win 17 games.”

Mussina believes that Johnson never adapted. “I think the expectations in New York – playing for the Yankees, all of the media coverage – the expectations are large,” Mussina said. “They’re high. Randy, his name is synonymous with 15 strikeouts, 20 wins. When you put on pinstripes, you’re expected to do that 35 times a year.

“Realistically, that’s not possible, but then again, you can’t fight it, either. You have to roll with it, and expect yourself to do well. I think he got a bad taste in his mouth and didn’t adjust to it. He had a tough two years of dealing with what he thought was OK, and what everybody else thought wasn’t good enough.”

From the YesNetwork Site -

Hughes is so coveted that the Yankees refused to include him in any deal at last season’s trade deadline, and some think he could steal the No. 5 starter’s job with a strong Grapefruit season.

Though Yankees senior vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman said on Tuesday there’s a chance that could happen, the Yankees want to see him further develop in Triple-A, and Mussina agrees.

“I don’t think they should be throwing him into the fire at 20 or 21 years old, but he’s not very far away,” Mussina said. “I hope they let the kid go out there and develop and be a strong major league pitcher when it’s time to ask him to be.”

I’ve always felt that one of the best things David Cone did for the Yankees was to be a mouthpiece for the players – always there for the media – so that other players would not be bothered with the chore. Cone was bright and knew what to say, etc., because he had been around (and he knew New York). Mussina has those skills too. It would be nice to see him be more like Cone was, as he’s doing here, on a more regular basis.

Comments on Moose On Pavano, Johnson & Hughes

1. MJ
      January 31st, 2007 | 11:05 am

I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with Buster Olney and he said that David Cone and Tim Raines were two of the best at speaking to the press and showing collective accountability so that others wouldn’t have to deal with it. I agree that this is a good thing from Moose, talking about stuff with the press, controlling the story, not saying anything to cause waves, just getting the thoughts out there. I think Johnny Damon fills the Rock Raines role with his funny personality and cheerful demeanor.

2. Pete
      January 31st, 2007 | 11:56 am

Just don’t ask Michael Kay what *he* thinks of Moose… :-P

3. Mr. Furious
      January 31st, 2007 | 12:17 pm

Just don’t ask Michael Kay what *he* thinks of Moose… :-P

———————————-

Or Rob Dibble.

4. MJ
      January 31st, 2007 | 12:31 pm

A) What’s Kay’s beef with Rob Dibble?

B) Kay, Peter Abraham and others were ready to punt Moose out of town in October because they felt he wasn’t a team player. While I have also felt that way in the past — he’s made some unflattering comments about teammates and their performances in games in which he’s gotten the L — I do think that he’s not as much of a prima donna as others view him and I think that the quotes being attributed to him in this post are a very good sign that maybe he sees himself as the leader of this pitching staff and, in some way, of this team.

I’m happy Moose is back and if he’s going to be a take-charge kind of guy, I’m all for it.

5. jonm
      January 31st, 2007 | 12:46 pm

Excellent points, MJ. I second your view about Moose. In a way, I think that Mussina may have gained some wisdom with age.

I’m also curious about the Kay-Dibble feud. I have XM radio now and have been very impressed with Dibble’s radio skills. Maybe it’s just that they compete with each other in the same radio time slot. As far as I’m concerned, Dibble has won. I always choose him over Kay when I’m in the car during that time period.

Also, I wonder if Raines’ press abilities will help his Hall of Fame bid. I hope so; I feel that he definitely belongs.

6. January 31st, 2007 | 1:44 pm

I love Mussina interviews.

He has the best dry sense of humor.

I don’t think the press really gets it, and are in general uncomfortable talking to him.

Kay’s hatred for the guy is just comical though…he has no rational answers for anything, and while he consistently spews nonsense, he goes into quite a stretch to discredit Mussina.

7. MJ
      January 31st, 2007 | 3:38 pm

Ok, so now I want to know why Kay has a feud with Rob Dibble AND what prompted Kay’s dislike of Moose. Anyone have any info on either one of these Michael Kay feuds?

8. January 31st, 2007 | 4:02 pm

Funny, I read that to mean that Dibble has issues with Moose – not that Kay does.

9. January 31st, 2007 | 4:07 pm

I think it started when Kay was a beat writer.

I don’t know exactly what it was about.

However, I do remember Kay said on his radio show “if I’m walking in The Stadium and I see Jeter, Posada, and Mussina all getting into an elevator, I will say, ‘Hi Derek. Hi Jorge.”

We are talking junior high level hatred.

10. January 31st, 2007 | 4:29 pm

11. jonm
      January 31st, 2007 | 10:16 pm

~~I’ve also heard Kay say, a thousand times, “Mike Mussina wouldn’t even spit on me if I was on fire.”~~

Right there is why I hate Michael Kay. He’s such a self-involved little twit. Why should anyone give a damn what he thinks of Mike Mussina personally? Still, he feels the need to advertise this fact.

Michael Kay has gotten to where he has because he knows how to kiss up to the right people. He certainly has no great baseball knowledge or no great talent. I wish someone with power would realize that he is not worthy of being a broadcaster for the New York Yankees.