• Nine Hours Later

Posted by on February 19th, 2007 · Comments (19)

I’ve been unplugged to the Yankees scene for the last nine hours – thereabouts – since the news broke on A-Rod’s press conference today.

I had the brakes done on my car. We took the kids clothes shopping. There was a quick stop to the supermarket. We went out to dinner. Once we got back home and the kids went to bed, I watched Prison Break.

Being busy, there was no time to reflect on the news of the day in Yankeeland. But, now, I can focus on what happened.

Thinking about it, I cannot buy into the notion (that some have) where Alex Rodriguez should be applauded today for being “honest” and “unscripted,” etc. His disclosure in this press conference today was totally calculated, in my opinion. Here’s what A-Rod is probably thinking:

I’ve lived with this “relationship” (or lack thereof) for three years now and I want try and shake it up. If I “out” it, then, one of two things will happen. Either way, by “me” coming out with it, now Jeter is in the spotlight. I served it up and it’s his turn to volley.

As team “captain,” Jeter should choose to make “it” go away (by forgiving me for the Esquire thing and loving me again). This way, I’m the hero by giving “it” up and getting the ball rolling towards making a change.

Or, if Jeter wants to remain “thick” about it, then the spotlight will continue to burn on him – since I’ve disclosed “it” and now he’s taken no action or made further bad moves. This way, he’s the bad guy and I’m the martyred victim. Again, I look good.

Don’t get me wrong, Derek Jeter is not without fault in this issue. Jeter, post-Esquire, is clearly playing “Michael” to A-Rod’s “Fredo.” And, once Alex joined the Yankees, Jeter should have probably let it drop.

Nonetheless, with today’s move, Alex Rodriguez threw Jeter under the bus. In Tampa tomorrow, Derek Jeter is going to have a very bad day with the media and it’s all because A-Rod decided to break this news on the very first day that he arrived to camp.

Alex could have disclosed this to the press at several points this off-season. And, that way, it would have been old news come camp-time (and not be a team distraction).

But, Rodriguez held it until his first day in camp. Why? It was the biggest bang for his buck in terms of media coverage. And, again, the more media, the bigger the spotlight created and the more pressure on Jeter to respond or deal with what happens if he does nothing.

This move today was all about A-Rod trying to make A-Rod look better. It was not an effort taken solely with the aim to be honest. It’s another “A-Rod Corp” PR-move. The only thing different this time, as compared to his Yankees past to date, is that Alex is actually trying to make himself look good by making someone else’s life uncomfortable – meaning Jeter.

If you think about it, tying back to the Michael and Fredo reference, the whole thing between A-Rod and Jeter does somewhat read like a Mario Puzo novel up to a point.

A-Rod rips his buddy Jeter in Esquire. (Like Fredo tried to kill his brother Michael.) In response, Jeter cools towards A-Rod – making his life tough in New York. (Like when Michael disowned Fredo.)

I’m guessing that Alex read Puzo’s book (or saw Francis Ford Coppola’s movie) and knows what happened to Fredo in the end. So, seeing the parallel between fiction and his own situation with Jeter, he thought, “Screw this, I’m not going to just sail out on to Lake Tahoe and take my chances, I’m going back on the offensive – when I get down to Spring Training, I’m going to make this Jeter’s problem and not my problem.”

Stone, cold, and calculated.

Of course, maybe his agent and/or wife came up with the idea for A-Rod? That’s very possible.

And, I would bet that Jeter is seeking counsel with his trusted mentors at this moment as well. And, again, thanks to A-Rod, “this” story will continue tomorrow at Camp Jeter…

A simple game of self-respect.
    You flick a switch and the world goes off.
    Nobody jumps as you expect.
    I would have thought you would have had enough by now.

Guess again.

Comments on Nine Hours Later

1. bloodyank78
      February 20th, 2007 | 12:02 am

I have really enjoyed reading your blog over the past year and half or so, and I think you have excellent insight on the Yankees and baseball in general, but enough’s enough. Your agenda w/Alex stinks up this place to an extent lately that I cannot stand reading it anymore. I know you have said “I like A-Rod”, and then put up links to where you praise him but we all know the deal. I believe your position is this:
      You think he’s an unreliable drama queen who has turned your beloved Yankees into a damned soap opera. The damage he has caused is irreparable and you want him the hell out of New York.

If that is your take, so be it. Alex had a hand in creating his own mess but a legion WFAN Yank fan baffoons and shithead baseball writers have turned this into the real mess that it is. I hope with every fabric of my being that A-Rod has a monster 2007 with solid post-season success. I enjoy watching one of the most talented ballplayers in history wearing Pinstripes, but hey, that’s just one man’s opinion. So I bid you adieu Steve, not that you will care at all, but this is my last time visiting your site. May the Yanks and Alex go all the f’ing way in 2007.

2. sju38621
      February 20th, 2007 | 12:57 am

I heard from a reliable source that A-Rod spoke today on advice from Reggie Jackson, who believed that it should be addressed once and put to bed. Jeter never shows any hint of being affected by the media so I’m sure he will give bland answers and move on. Hopefully this story will die because we have enough drama going on this camp without the DJ/A-Rod feud starting in full again.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      February 20th, 2007 | 1:06 am

This is a crazy theory, and I don’t buy it. I’m going with what it seems on the surface. It’s the beginning of a new season. A-Rod doesn’t want the same questions and inferences made about Jeter’s and his relationship. He wants to nip it in the bud before there’s any more continuing build-up and so he decides to address it on the first day of the season because in order nip things in the bud, you usually nip earlier rather than later. As for Jeter, I’m sure he’ll be able to deal with the press tomorrow. He’s a big boy.

4. SF Yanks
      February 20th, 2007 | 1:46 am

I think it’s insane how far people read into things. Arod and Jeter’s friendship grew a little apart over the years as Arod said it did. They are still friends but just not BEST friends. End of story. What else is there? Seriously!? I think he told the media so they would stop asking him about it. There’s nothing else to it. I don’t see what the big deal is. And no, I don’t think he planned this all out so he could look good.

Ok, maybe he planned on it so it would be on Jeter, then Jeter gets mad and throws a rock at ARod in the meantime throwing out his arm. Now Arod gets to play shortstop for the rest of the season and make his life easier. This will improve his season and he wins over the fans, while they turn on Jeter. Cashman notices this and informs the Boss. They now decide to make Arod the captain of the Yanks. He goes down as the greatest Yankee that ever lived. Do you think he planned that too?

5. antone
      February 20th, 2007 | 7:51 am

The only way the fans would turn on Jeter was if he was a terrorist haha…but seriously WE have NO IDEA what their relationship is really like or what MAY have happened behind closed doors that caused their relationship to fall out. How do we know there wasn’t any incident besides the Esquire one?? So it’s not even worth speculating on. I think the bigger issue here is ARod falling into the trap of the NY Media once again saying something boneheaded that they are going to run with. You just hope it doesn’t have any effect on him or his teammates, who may be fed up with all the “drama”. If it doesn’t affect their play and than it’s an non-issue.

6. ieddyi
      February 20th, 2007 | 8:34 am

I’ve got to second bloodyank’s sentiments

Enough is enough. As you stated in a previous post, the Yankee blogosphere is getting more and more crowded. I’m tired of wading through your Arod dross and will not visit again

7. tmcm650
      February 20th, 2007 | 8:47 am

Bla, bla, bla, and it really was A-Rod on the grassy knoll, manning that second long gun. Enough with the “everything wrong with the world is a cold, calculated plot by A-Rod” conspiracy theories. Leave the psycho-babble-analysis to Dr. Phil Freud, for crying out loud, and write about baseball.

8. Garcia
      February 20th, 2007 | 8:58 am

Steve, don’t you think you are reaching here? Wow….I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Are there any other conspiracy theories you believe? I’d like to hear/read about them.

9. Paul
      February 20th, 2007 | 9:16 am

Do the drama queen people who threaten to never return to a blog because the owner’s opinion does not parrot theirs ever really leave? Or do they just change names and personalities?

Personally, I do not like ARod. Never have. Never will. There was never a more hyped and overrated athlete in the history of all of sports. His fawning minions will dispute this but so be it.

But I am a Yankee fan so I hope he does well as a Yankee. Period.

This story is fluff. Who cares if two players still have 5 times a week sleep-overs? Does it affect how they play baseball?

Fan and media obsession with what seems to have become a world of reality television has soured this once great sport of baseball. What baseball fan really gives a rat’s hindsection as to whether any two players are the closest of close or what they think of each other every waking moment?

Sure, human interest stories about players are great. Such as how Pettitte and Clemens became friends and hang out a lot togther, or any other players. But this is an obsession.

Acredited baseball writers did not vote for Jeter for MVP because of the whole how he treated poor little ARod issue. (Each of those writers should lose his media credentials post haste.)

Between utterly stupid media members and ARod’s obsequious acolytes on their search and destroy mission for anyone not fawning over poor little Alex, this season is already getting intolerable.

10. rbj
      February 20th, 2007 | 9:18 am

“Here’s what A-Rod is probably thinking”
      “I’m guessing that Alex read Puzo’s book”

Really? How can you even guess about this, you have no information on it. It is idle speculation on your part — idle speculation that puts A-Rod in a negative light. If Alex did this in the off-season, he would have had to call a press conference and gather all the media at one spot — that would have been calculating. Here it’s the opening day of ST, the media is already there to cover opening day, so deal with it then.

With all due respect to Henry Aaron, I want the all-time HR record to be held by a pinstriper. Alex is the best bet for that.

This obsession you have with A-Rod, well it is starting to worry me. ‘Tain’t natural.

11. February 20th, 2007 | 9:44 am

It saddens me that some may choose to avoid this blog because they find me having an opinion different than their own.

OK, I can understand if some *feel* that I share an opinion too much on one topic in particular. However, as I have stated here, time and time, and time again, I aim to offer insight and opinion, at this blog, at Yankees items in the news.

Is it my fault that the majority of news out in Yankeeland is about A-Rod? Really?

Are you upset with me sharing an opinion on what A-Rod did/said yesterday? Don’t blame me – blame A-Rod…he’s the one who had the press conference.

Could I just *ignore* whatever A-Rod does and not share any insight or opinion on it? Yes – without question. But, would that be good for this blog?

Check the number of comments that are generated on one of my entries about Yankees history, etc. Now, check the number of comments that are made when I share an opinion on A-Rod.

The readers of this blog tell me what topics interest him by their post comments. And, my aim is to make this an interesting blog.

OK, as I pointed out, there are many, many, Yankees blogs these days. If you prefer one that ignores A-Rod in the news, or kisses his butt because he has an “NY” on his chest, then I’m sure you can find another blog to read.

If you choose to boycott WasWatching.com because of my choice to comment on Yankees-news that’s hot, and my opinion bothers you because it’s not in line with yours, then I cannot stop you.

All I can say is thanks for your interest in the blog to date and offer best wishes towards you finding something else to fill your needs for Yankees-related content.

12. JeremyM
      February 20th, 2007 | 10:02 am

As a “Godfather” fan, if A-Rod read the book looking for what happened to Fredo, he wouldn’t find out much- the “sequel” aspects of Godfather II were written for the film and not in Puzo’s book (and Puzo actually didn’t support Michael killing Fredo, and only went for it under the condition that Michael waits until their mother passed first:). The book is primarily dealt with in the first film, with some of the past references dealt with in the Deniro parts of Godfather II. Oh, was there something else covered in that post?

Steve, look at where A-Rod is coming from. Didn’t he just get mobbed at a children’s book signing with reporters asking him all of these questions? It’s not A-Rod that has been keeping this story going. He’s trying to get this over and done with; I’m not sure this helps but it can’t hurt.

And Jeter has kind of thrown himself under a bus, be it right or wrong. I love Jeter but he’s stuck up a lot more for every teammate except A-Rod. I’m not saying he has to, and A-Rod is 31-years old (like he said), but in this media climate, by not saying much of anything he had to know it was just going to increase idle speculation by story-hungry reporters. But the bottom line is if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the ridiculous media. You did listen to the audio right? You did listen to the little weasel trying to get A-Rod to “commit” to the Yankees? I’m sure this stuff is par for the course. In my opinion, certain members of the media have made it their personal mission to take A-Rod down.

Anyway, I just wish the freaking President could get grilled like this on things like the troop build-up or anything else for that matter, instead of a baseball player.

13. Nick from Washington Heights
      February 20th, 2007 | 10:54 am

I don’t get the need to announce a, let alone, boycott of this site. I come to this site because Steve has an interesting view of things. I often disagree with him which is fine by me. I like to have my assumptions challenged and I like to challenge other people’s thoughts. It’s how one’s thinking develops. I can say there have been many times when I’ve visited this site when I thought Steve was flat-out wrong or even crazy for thinking what he was writing and a few months later, it turned he was right on the money. The Dotel signing is a good example for me. I was wrong and Steve was very right. So, to those who plan to not visit this site anymore, I think you should rethink the decision. You might find yourself proven wrong.

14. February 20th, 2007 | 10:59 am

Thanks Nick.

And, for the record, I’m willing to eat crow too – when the time calls for it.

15. Yankeestan