• Rico To The Rescue?

Posted by on February 20th, 2007 · Comments (6)

Via Michael Geffner -

Alex Rodriguez may not have Derek Jeter as a clubhouse ally, but he has his old high school teammate and new Yankee first baseman, Doug Mientkiewicz, now.

“Any time Alex wants to come to me about anything, a problem on or off the field, I’m here for him,” said Mientkiewicz, who played baseball and football with A-Rod at Westminster Christian High School in Miami. “I know that he’s such a proud man. He wants to figure everything out on his own. That’s being a man to him. He puts a lot of pressure on himself, is his own worst enemy at times. But, hopefully, if something is bugging him and he needs a familiar face to go to — we’ve known each other since we were 16 — I’ll be the first one he wants to sit down with. Not that I’m a psychiatrist or anything like that. That’s just what being a good teammate, a good friend is all about. And if he wants to open up to me, or if he doesn’t, I’m not going to pressure him either way. He may or may not come to me, I don’t know for sure. But I know he knows I’m here for him. I don’t have to say anything to him.”

I still fully expect Rico Bergman to be Fran Healy to A-Rod’s Reggie this season.

It also probably helps that Rico’s wearing #11 this year – he’ll get to locker near Alex on the road in most clubhouses, I would imagine, because their numbers are so close.

Comments on Rico To The Rescue?

February 20th, 2007 | 11:41 am

I don’t know… I find it hard to believe that a man who had a productive 3 years in NY, all of a sudden doesn’t know how to play here.

A waste of a roster spot, but hey, I ain’t the one constructing the team.

2. baileywalk
      February 20th, 2007 | 11:50 am

As sad as it sounds, it wouldn’t shock me if Doug wanted to come to the Yankees just so he could be close to Alex. Doug apparently LOVES talking with the media, and he probably got his rocks off thinking about how he could be “Alex’s buddy” while here. So every time Alex gets booed or Alex hits a big home run, we’ll have to withstand a lofty Doug quote about it.

The Minky signing is such a dumb one — probably the only bad move by Cashman this year. Considering his pitiful offense and now-only-average defense, they probably could have just used Andy Phillips — who’s also more versatile and right-handed — and not had much of a difference. It also would have left a roster space open for either Bernie Williams or someone else.

3. j
      February 20th, 2007 | 12:57 pm

“Alex Rodriguez may not have Derek Jeter as a clubhouse ally”

Stop right there. Where in the interview with A-Rod did he ever say anything that would imply that? I seem to recall the phrase “good working relationship” being uttered. If A-Rod hits a homerun, Jeter congratultes him and vice versa. I’m sure they discuss the opposing teams starting pitcher, etc..

4. brockdc
      February 20th, 2007 | 1:15 pm

I still fail to understand why Cashman didn’t try to re-sign Guiel this winter. He’s cheap, he’s versatile, and he’s got some pop in his bat – three things that Minky isn’t.

5. February 20th, 2007 | 1:34 pm

Sure, but, was Guiel tight with Alex?

J/K

February 20th, 2007 | 1:56 pm

I still fail to understand why Cashman didn’t try to re-sign Guiel this winter.
      ===========
      There were a few moves made this winter that I don’t understand; not signing Guiel or Wilson, not getting a better return for RJ, the backup catcher situation, bringing back Cairo, just to name a few…