• When Longing For Cecilio Guante Is A Better Option

Posted by on February 20th, 2007 · Comments (13)

Just as it happened to me 44 days ago, it happened again tonight.

Emergency construction on I-287, right after Exit 5 on the south-bound side. They closed two lanes. So, it went from three lanes to one. Backed it up from the construction site, around Exit 5, all the way past Exit 14.

There I was: stuck in bumper-to-bumper, two MPH, traffic between Exit 14 and Exit 5. Like last time, my door to door trip (of 45 miles) to get home from work took me three and a half hours – yes, three and a half hours. Oh, what fun.

I’ve only been taking I-287 to/from the new job for the last three months. And, I already hate it. That didn’t take long, did it?

During my not-so-sojourn on I-287 this evening, I listened to the radio – quite a bit. At one point, I heard “Funkytown” by Pseudo Echo – the 1987 cover version of the “Lipps Inc.” song of the same name.

Whenever I hear the Pseudo Echo version of “Funkytown,” I always think of the Yankees – since a Yankees T-shirt is featured in the video for the song. In fact, back in 1987, I had that same exact Yankees T-shirt myself at that time.

Oh, to be 24-years old again, enjoying the summer, watching Donnie, Winnie and The Rick, along with Tommy John, Mike Pagliarulo, Charles Hudson, Gary Ward, Dennis Rasmussen, Wayne Tolleson, Cecilio Guante, Dan Pasqua, Pat Clements, Claudell Washington, Rich Bordi, and Henry Cotto (among others) play for the New York Yankees…

…it sure as hell beats siting still on I-287 for hours, in the dark, wasting time that could be spent with my wife and children.

Did I mention that I hate I-287?

Screw it. Rock on “Funkytown.” Time to think about happier days.

Comments on When Longing For Cecilio Guante Is A Better Option

1. Jaggie
      February 20th, 2007 | 11:28 pm

Exit 14, you’re from Spring Valley/Nanuet?

2. brockdc
      February 21st, 2007 | 12:03 am

That’s me on the organiguitar. Ah, to be young again indeed.

3. Garcia
      February 21st, 2007 | 7:47 am

Steve, When you referenced the post from “44 days ago” it automatically got me to think about the XM radio post. Don’t know why exactly, but I remember you responding to one of my questions with the below answer:

Thanks for the tips on the station everyone!

~~~I had bought Sirius and I keep hoping XM and Sirius merge so that I can have football, baseball, and Howard Stern. ~~~

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said that the licenses granted to the satellite radio companies precluded them from being combined, FYI.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at February 5, 2007 03:41 PM

————————-

They are being combined now, so after they get all the logistics settled then I should be able to start enjoying all of my new programming. Specifically – MLB radio. I knew if I tapped my heels three times and wished really hard it would happen.

4. Mr. Furious
      February 21st, 2007 | 8:25 am

It’s been said that regulatory approval alone will take 15-18 months, so we won’t be able to enjoy the combined programming for quite a while. Plus, we’ll have to buy new radios.

According to the investor CC yesterday, old radios will still work, but they’ll only receive half the spectrum.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if NFL and MLB are either premium services or part of a higher-priced tier. I bet that the pricing structure will be similar to DirecTV – a low-cost ($9.99?) tier to get people in the door, a higher-cost ($14.99?) tier that has all of the basic programming, and some/all of the sports will be premiums. I could see the NFL and MLB talk channels being available outside the premium service, though.

5. Garcia
      February 21st, 2007 | 8:30 am

Yeah I know it’s going to take time for the logistics to be worked out, Mr. Furious.

The tiered pricing though is the scary part. Having to buy new radios will suck especially for me because I just got a new car that has the satellite radio built in.

I thought that when the satellite radio first started that both companies had to start manufacturing radios that could take in both signals in case they ever did combine both companies.

6. TurnTwo
      February 21st, 2007 | 9:19 am

Route 287 can definately be the pits… I travel it everyday from work in the morning, north to class at night, and then back home… it was even worse when they were doing repaving north of Rt78 on the southbound side, it would take me an hour to go about 10-15 miles for a while there hours after rush hour had past, and there shouldnt have been a car on the road.

7. February 21st, 2007 | 9:56 am

~~~Exit 14, you’re from Spring Valley/Nanuet?~~~

Nope.

TurnTwo – is there anyway around it? I need to get from 22B to the GSP. Is there another way to go – other than 287?

8. Jason
      February 21st, 2007 | 10:10 am

Show your support for Mattingly

February 21st, 2007 | 10:12 am

Wow.

Glad I don’t have to deal with that commute. The most I have to worry about is if the Hutch is backed up. If that’s the case, I take I-95. Otherwise, I use a combination of highways, byways, and side streets to get to/from work.

10. Garcia
      February 21st, 2007 | 10:26 am

Yeah, I thought my commute from my bed to my desk was hard enough – sometimes I have to step over my pants and underwears that are on the floor making it a diffucult obstacle course. I actually miss having a commute to work. Working from home has its privs, but I can’t gawk at the one hot girl in the office any longer.

Those were the days….

11. Pete
      February 21st, 2007 | 11:39 am

3.5 hours? Yikes.

Happens to me sometimes, but only when there’s a horrific accident or a snowstorm.

No job is worth it – my resume gets the most tweaking on days like that…

12. TurnTwo
      February 21st, 2007 | 11:47 am

Unofrtunately, that is the most direct way without trying to depend on local county roads, especially if you are going south on the GSP.

If you are going north on the GSP, you could always try Rt 22 or 78 eastbound, but those roads can be worse, more consistently than 287.

13. February 21st, 2007 | 12:09 pm

Yeah, someone today said take 78 to the GSP.

It just seems to be a roundabout solution to me. But, what do I know?