• Maybe His Name Should Be “Boo-ras”?

Posted by on February 22nd, 2007 · Comments (12)

The Mighty Quinn Media Machine is showing no love for Johnny Damon today.

This made me wonder…if A-Rod opts out of his contract after this year, will Yankees fans feel the same about him (then) as Sox fans do about Damon (now)?

Would A-Rod have to sign with a rival to get the “Damon treatment”? Or, does it not matter – since A-Rod was not loved by all in New York, as Damon was in Boston?

Does it matter that Damon had it well in Boston and A-Rod’s had a rough go with the media and some fans in New York? Does this make it OK for Alex to leave?

Would it be any different for A-Rod in the Bronx, post-move, from the way that Seattle “welcomed back” Alex in 2001 or how Texas did in 2004?

If A-Rod opts out, what would be the reaction to him in Boston – assuming he does not sign there – as a visiting player at Fenway in a uniform other than the Yankees? (I think he might get the mock standing-O.)

Maybe teams can just make all Scott Boras clients where a special patch – so that the player can be booed all the time, no matter where he is playing? It’s what ends up happening in most places, anyway.

Comments on Maybe His Name Should Be “Boo-ras”?

1. redbug
      February 22nd, 2007 | 3:51 pm

If ARod opts out, I think the only anger I’d have is that he didn’t let Cashman try to trade him this winter, so that the Yanks could’ve gotten something in return for him.

But, I dislike him him enough not to be all that angry. I can’t wait to see his back when he exits NY.

2. Garcia
      February 22nd, 2007 | 4:37 pm

Yeah…..I hope ARod opts out too. I’d like to see what the Yanks do about 3rd base after he’s gone. Just cause some of you dislike him, really for no apparent reason.

He has his faults, as do many of us, but it’s just easier to hate him than to like and cheer for him.

3. redbug
      February 22nd, 2007 | 5:01 pm

Hey, I’ve been a Yankee fan for over 40 years. It’s not easier to hate ARod rather than like him and cheer him on. In fact, I don’t hate him. I’m just incredibly tired of him.

I’m not sure what the Yanks will do about 3rd base assuming he opts out. But, unless he finally figures out how to hit when it counts, he will indeed opt out. If the opposite occurs, he’ll opt out, too. He wants more money. That’s what the clause is there for. And, unless he has a serious injury or the owners decide they’re not paying at the current rate, he’ll make more money over a longer term deal.

4. February 22nd, 2007 | 5:03 pm

It would be interesting if A-Rod moves out, after the season, and Alberto Gonzalez hits .350 in AAA this year with Ozzie Smith like range at SwB. Would Jeter then offer to move to 3B?

5. February 22nd, 2007 | 5:05 pm

I saw some quote the other day from an AL exec – that said there’s no way in hell that Boras will NOT try and leverage that option for A-Rod, somehow, this season. I agree.

February 22nd, 2007 | 5:48 pm

Would Jeter then offer to move to 3B?
      ===========
      Probably not. I’d be willing to wager that he won’t move off SS unless he’s good and ready to; like if he were to be a statue @ SS.

If he didn’t move for Rodriguez (a non-issue; he was traded here on the premise that he would play 3b), I don’t see him moving for anyone.

February 22nd, 2007 | 5:51 pm

I’d like to see what the Yanks do about 3rd base after he’s gone.
      ============
      They’ll figure something out; before they traded for Rodriguez, they were looking @ Mike Lamb & Tyler Houston to play 3b

February 22nd, 2007 | 6:02 pm

As for the original questions, I don’t think Rodriguez will get the “Damon” treatment. I’d suspect a good number of Yankee fans will say ‘good riddance.’

It would be a dumb move, just letting him walk, in light of the fact that the Yanks could’ve gotten something from him last season. But stranger things have happened. I’m more concerned with the Posada contract situation, and how that’s going to develop; I’d feel a lot better about Rodriguez leaving if Posada stays.

I just don’t want 1989 to happen all over again; salary dump or not, the Yanks could’ve used Jack Clark that year.

9. Rich
      February 22nd, 2007 | 6:35 pm

If ARod opts out, it would make sense for Jeter to move to 3B just to spite Alex. It’d be such a slap in the face. “No, I won’t move to 3B for you Alex (the best SS in the game at the time), but I will for a 23 year old kid.” Personally, I think Jeter should do it if nothing more than to piss ARod off. It’d be worth it.

February 22nd, 2007 | 9:50 pm

I would think it would have the opposite effect; besides, Rodriguez agreed to shift to 3b before the trade was made.

11. Garcia
      February 22nd, 2007 | 10:34 pm

Yeah it’s all ARod’s fault….every God dam thing is his fault. 2001, 2002, 2003…those years were ARod’s fault. 3 years w/o ARod the Yanks didn’t win. 3 years with the Yanks and they still didn’t win. But it’s all his fault….I hope he does walk and wins somewhere else so you guys can hate him more. “Oh he didn’t do that with us, I really hate him now. I hope he gets a deadly disease”. I can see those comments now.

Just like there’s nothing worse than a woman scorned, there’s nothing worse than a Yankee fan who feels scorned.

Jeff Weaver and Kenny Rogers keep coming to mind for some weird reason. ARod…..because of some of the lunacy I keep reading, then the bigger fan I keep becoming of him.

I used to read how Steve was becoming all anti-ARod all the time and I didn’t want to believe it, but I guess that’s what get the ratings (err…comments).

February 22nd, 2007 | 11:31 pm

Weaver, just didn’t pan out. Seeing that he stunk it up with the Dodgers, Angels & Cardinals kinda shows it wasn’t just a NY thing?

Rogers had it somewhat bad, but not as bad as Rodriguez. His first season was in line with his career, his second year wasn’t. And who knows how much of that had to do with him recovering from surgery?