• Mo: The Sox? Nah……..

Posted by on February 25th, 2007 · Comments (7)

From the Times, with a hat tip to XM MLB Chat -

Mariano Rivera, the Yankees’ closer, smiled while he was told some of the recent developments regarding the Boston Red Sox. Curt Schilling will become a free agent after the season. Manny Ramírez is not yet in camp. Daisuke Matsuzaka is a pitching machine.

But Rivera, who also said he would test free agency after 2007, turned serious when he was asked if he could envision himself pitching for Boston.

“I don’t think so,” Rivera said. “I respect the players and I respect the organization, but we’ve had so much happen between us. I don’t think I could do it.”

“There’s too much between the teams,” Rivera said. “I like some of their players. They’re my friends. I just don’t think it would be possible.”

Attaboy.

Comments on Mo: The Sox? Nah……..

1. baileywalk
      February 25th, 2007 | 9:50 am

Attaboy?

What about the part where it says “Rivera, who also said he would test free agency after 2007″? Why test free agency? If Mo comes through the season healthy, the Yankees will give him a top-dollar two-year contract. Why go through the show of taking offers from other teams? And would he leave for an extra year or a few million dollars?

February 25th, 2007 | 10:18 am

Attaboy.
      =================
      What did you expect him to say?

3. February 25th, 2007 | 1:16 pm

I’m surprised Rivera wouldn’t be a little more coy and play up the possibility, just to try and get a better deal out of the Yankees.

He’s not going to the Red Sox or anywhere else, but why not keep the idea going?

4. February 25th, 2007 | 1:18 pm

Yeah, I’m sure Mo’s agent didn’t want to hear that comment as well.

5. February 25th, 2007 | 1:22 pm

~~~Attaboy? What about the part where it says “Rivera, who also said he would test free agency after 2007″? Why test free agency? If Mo comes through the season healthy, the Yankees will give him a top-dollar two-year contract. Why go through the show of taking offers from other teams?~~~

Payback, I suppose, for the shoddy treatment this spring regarding the request for an extension.

6. rbj
      February 25th, 2007 | 6:55 pm

Give Mo the extension 2 years + 3d option. $12 mil per. It’s a wise investment.

Anyone at A or AA who could take over for Mo in 3-4 years?

7. February 25th, 2007 | 10:23 pm

Who knows? Betcha it’s a converted starter, like Mo was…