• Weighty Matters

Posted by on February 28th, 2007 · Comments (7)

Via The Record -

Saying that he “lost some of my athleticism” by playing at 225 pounds, Alex Rodriguez believes he’ll benefit by being leaner this season.

Mostly through dietary alterations, A-Rod said his body fat has plunged from 16 percent last year to 9 percent this spring.

“I just felt a lack of movement last year,” said Rodriguez. But already this spring, “I feel more athletic.

“I felt that when I gained the weight, I lost some of my athleticism,” A-Rod said. “My ability to move around, everything was kind of a lethargic struggle.”

Last year, A-Rod committed 24 errors at third base — something that could be partly attributable to a somewhat sluggish feeling of playing at a higher weight.

Rodriguez, who stands 6 feet 3, said he’s lost “10 or 12 pounds” since the end of last season.

“I like the idea of being at a lighter weight on the field,” A-Rod said. “My best years have always been at a lighter weight.”

A weight-loss worked wonders for Posada last season. So, this decision by Alex could be wonderful news. Hey, on the flip side, he could have come into camp looking like this:

schillin02272007.jpg

Choose your caption for the above:

(a) Holy “Homer in a Moo-Moo” Batman!
    (b) Hey, Red Light, when is the baby due?
    (c) “My boyfriend Theo says I’m not fat. He says that I am pleasingly plump.”
    (d) When does Bosox special spring instructor Richard Simmons report to camp this year?

Comments on Weighty Matters

1. Garcia
      February 28th, 2007 | 9:42 am

I like, Fat F’ing Blowhard. It’s a bit of modification to what his CHB calls him.

2. February 28th, 2007 | 9:59 am

He looks like he ate one of his kids in the off-season. I like Fat F’ing Blowhard as well. What an egomaniacal bastard.

3. Garcia
      February 28th, 2007 | 11:21 am

Off topic here, but I just read this at MLB trade rumors:

I’ve always liked Broussard, he’s a good first basemen and he would be a much better option than Mienckeizkeicktiz. If there’s a trade the Yanks can make here, then I hope they would.

ARod will just have to go back to being friends with grounds crew again. Oh well….

4. #15
      February 28th, 2007 | 11:50 am

A-Rod might need to check his math. If he’s 213-215 now with 9% body fat he’s got 19.1 to 19.3 lbs of fat (world class elite athlete level to be sure). At 225 with 16% body fat, he was carrying 36 lbs of fat (still reasonably lean, but not elite lean). He’d have had to have lost 17 lbs (not 10-12) of fat to get there, or even more if he added muscle.

I’ve seen him up close, in person, and he looks taller then 6 foot 3. Jete’s 6-3 and A-Rod looks to be ~2 inches taller and broader at the shoulders.

Math skills aside, being lighter is a big plus for an infielder that has to react to the ball very quickly. Plus he ought to be able to steal a few more bases. He clearly improved his fitness, and I’d say that was a good sign of where his heads at, i.e., in the right place.

If you were the Botox, would you give Spanky a new contract with that beer gut? Is that 2 or 3 chins I see?

5. MJ
      February 28th, 2007 | 2:37 pm

You want a weighty matter, here’s one (courtesy of Peter Abraham):

“Joe Torre was talking about the bullpen today and more or less said non-roster LHP Ron Villone would be on the team. The only spot they need to fill is for a long man and that could well be somebody like Jeff Karstens.

Right now, the seven relievers look to be Mariano Rivera, Scott Proctor, Krazy Kyle Farnsworth, Luis Vizcaino, Mike Myers, Ron Villone and TBA.”

Why aren’t Bruney and/or Britton on this team? I understand the need for a long man out of the bullpen (Karstens) but how is Vizcaino better than the younger, more powerful arms of Bruney/Britton? Is Villone going to be this year’s version of Tanyon Sturtze? I thought Cashman’s whole M.O. this year was to get younger arms in the mix. Clearly the team has learned nothing from the Detroit Tigers team that blew them away in Games 2-4.

6. February 28th, 2007 | 2:47 pm

I’m not shocked at this, at all. In fact, I just drafted something up on this, beforre seeing your post, about an hour ago. See my entry entitled: Predicting The ’07 Opening Day Roster

7. rbj
      February 28th, 2007 | 2:52 pm

Thanks to the international ban on whaling, the whales around New England have made a comeback.