• Hank Blalock

Posted by on March 22nd, 2007 · Comments (6)

Why do I have this feeling that Hank Blalock will be the Yankees third baseman in 2008?

Comments on Hank Blalock

1. TurnTwo
      March 22nd, 2007 | 10:53 am

hmmm, I dont see Hank Blalock so much as I do Mark Teahan.

I dont know if the Yankees would want to go down that road with Tom Hicks and company…

and on top of that whole relationship, it would seem like dealing with KC, who needs young pitching (which we now have) would be less of a direct threat to the Yankees (who they only see, what, like 6-7 times a year), and you would replace a RH bat with a RH bat for the already lefty leaning lineup.

2. March 22nd, 2007 | 10:58 am

But, Hank is a FA after 2008. So, the Rangers may want to trade him after 2007 – while he has some value. Mark Teahan will not be a FA for a while – and the Royals can still use him in the OF.

3. SteveB
      March 22nd, 2007 | 12:10 pm

A-Rod would have to opt out which I’m not convinced is going to happen.

Blalock would have to stop sucking, which I’m not convinced is going to happen.

This isn’t the Steinbrenner show anymore.

4. mehmattski
      March 22nd, 2007 | 12:21 pm

Only if the Red Sox somehow went back in time and got the 2003 Eric Gagne to close.

Seriously though, basically all the hype on Blalock centers around that one at-bat in an exhibition game. I’d rather see Eric Duncan at third base in 2008 than Blalock. But since I want what’s best for the Yankees, I want the Yankees to have the best possible third baseman. And that is Alex Rodriguez.

5. dave
      March 22nd, 2007 | 12:48 pm

The thing is that any team that really wants him could save almost $30 million by doing a trade with the Yanks and giving Arod an extension. I doubt Arod opts out, but he may force a trade. The question becomes what could the Yanks get back and would they have any leverage. I think we will get a good read on the situation before the trading deadline, if Arod is not happy and the fans have turned on him, I think Cashman will move him out.

6. TurnTwo
      March 22nd, 2007 | 2:25 pm

ARod doesnt have to force a trade, he’d be a free agent, and could go anywhere he wants… and he’s not going anywhere midseason; the only way he’d force his way out like that is if the Yankees arent in contention, and i think we’re all in agreement thats the last thing we could see happening.

of course, the yankees hope he would force a trade, so they would get something in return, but if he wants out, he’s just going to leave.